Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Beach update.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 624

Beach update.

Aug 9, 2018, 6:14 PM

Ok. So I wake up this morning and read this.

https://www.wyff4.com/article/folly-beach-officials-advising-caution-after-recent-reports-of-portuguese-man-of-war-stings/22681150

Go down to the beach. Just south of Folly fwiw. Wife and kids and I are swimming. Wife screams and runs out the water. First thought was jellyfish. Her ankle is bleeding like a stuck pig. Then think shark bite. Blood is literally gushing. Then see it's one hole. Then think...

Then she says she feels tingling anf numbness. Make it back to the Lounge chair. Pain gets worse. Bleeding finally stopped. Called Beach patrol. Sting ray confirmed.

Then 3 other people got jellyfish stings. Kept kids in shallow water all day.

She's drinking now to numb the pain.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Stingrays can be brutal

Aug 9, 2018, 6:27 PM

My uncle (same one that had the heart issue recently) stepped on one at one of the Florida beaches. Medical guy that treated him said it is pretty much comparable to being shot by a .22.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MauldinT, where are you???

Yep. Hole and blood are the same. Wife says venom was what

Aug 9, 2018, 6:35 PM

Really hurt. Supposedly it's not too dangerous. But they gave her a 5 gallon bucket of Hot water to soak her ankle in. Hit water and treat the puncture wound. Now she says it feels like a sprained ankle.

But it sucks. Don't come to Kiawah in August. June is safer in the water. Jelly fish are bad. None of the Portuguese guys but plenty of others stinging folks today.

Message was edited by: Tiggity®

Message was edited by: Tiggity®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Glad she is okay. Consider her lucky

Aug 10, 2018, 8:14 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did you pee on it?***

Aug 10, 2018, 7:45 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wasn't a shower nearby***

Aug 10, 2018, 8:36 AM

I don't get it...

Aug 10, 2018, 8:50 AM

did you pee on it?

Re: I don't get it...

Aug 10, 2018, 12:42 PM

If anything pee on her to mark her as yours.

We only play watersports in the shower***

Aug 12, 2018, 8:08 PM

My bud and I both got 'grazed' by one years ago

Aug 10, 2018, 8:25 AM

(at least, that's what the lifeguard in HHI said...i didn't think stingray's worked like that. Each of us had about a silver dollar's sized raised area with multiple parallel 'scrapes')

HURT.LIKE.A.MUH.FUG.

he got tagged first about 10ft away, screamed...I, of course, laughed at him, and got bit by the karma bug just seconds later...

I'm honestly still not convinced it was a stingray, but defer to the lifeguard dood

Well this thing stuck straight in

Aug 10, 2018, 8:39 AM

and didn't stop till it hit bone. Just glad it didn't break off in there. One look and they said it was clean and good to go. Those things can break off in you. That requires a hospital visit so we were told.

We were on Edisto this past week.

Aug 10, 2018, 8:40 AM

Wife tells me there were tons of jellyfish at the beach. The only beach I saw were the sand traps at the Plantation Course.

We're told it's the wind and weather pattern

Aug 10, 2018, 8:43 AM

Evidently they've had an onshore wind for a while and that's blowing the jellyfish in.

are y'all new to the area?

Aug 10, 2018, 8:54 AM

as a wee boy, I was taught not to go in the ocean in August/Sept when the water is at its warmest. There's NOTHING good in there this time of year (or actually most any time of year).

It took having a jellyfish attach itself to my lower leg to truly understand that I was taught that for a distinct reason. And that was around 1980 or so.

I'm sorry this isn't going better for you Tig.

Aug 12, 2018, 9:21 PM

I've been a round or two with both the critters you are encountering. I hate them both.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 14
| visibility 624
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic