Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So help a brother out on all this education stuff.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 65
| visibility 547

So help a brother out on all this education stuff.

Feb 8, 2017, 3:43 PM

I see some of you cheering the idea of abolishing the Dept. of Ed. Okay. Cool. So then what's the point of even having DeVos and also lauding this:

People praise her for the promise of school choice. But her plan will cost the federal government $20 billion. That doesn't seem like fiscal conservatism. Plus, it will cost an additional $100 billion from the states (2 bil per state but hey, y'all can do that math... right?). Where are the states coming up with that money? So if that's the case and you like that idea, then how come people also want her to...

Give states and local governments more control over education? That's not really giving them more control if the feds are forcing a voucher program on them. Obviously cutting the Dept. of Ed would give them that control, but that eliminates DeVos's plan to create "school choice" initiatives. In fact, she's now pretty much lost all her power to do that.

Sooooo... what's the goal here? Am I missing some key Common Core math equation here?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

It is really simple. Public education is a monopoly.

Feb 8, 2017, 3:45 PM

Competition drives up quality and drives down cost.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Public education is not a business.***

Feb 8, 2017, 3:48 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It holds a monopoly on education.***

Feb 8, 2017, 3:50 PM

True. What we need are some private options.

Feb 8, 2017, 3:52 PM

You know, like private schools or something that people could choose to attend.

Oh.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

And the parents should not have to pay twice.***

Feb 8, 2017, 3:54 PM

Pay for what twice?***

Feb 8, 2017, 3:58 PM

It's the same half-brained argument I hear from the

Feb 8, 2017, 4:07 PM

retirees out on Lake Murray who oppose any bond referendum for school improvements or new school construction. Their taxes shouldn't pay for something they don't use, etc.

I wonder if the "pay for it twice" folks are cool with...

Feb 8, 2017, 4:10 PM

People without children getting to opt out of paying those taxes?

Or toll roads...***

Feb 8, 2017, 4:11 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm okay with that***

Feb 8, 2017, 4:13 PM [ in reply to I wonder if the "pay for it twice" folks are cool with... ]

Re: I'm okay with that

Feb 8, 2017, 4:14 PM

In fact, the more kids you have, the more you should have to pay in taxes...not less.

Them breeders cursing at you right now.***

Feb 8, 2017, 4:17 PM

don't care***

Feb 8, 2017, 4:24 PM

Suh-weet!

Feb 8, 2017, 4:14 PM [ in reply to I'm okay with that*** ]

I'm opposed to military intervention where it isn't needed, like Iraq. I have no use for it. Can I have that money back?

I haven't seen Iraq bombs separated on my property taxes.

Feb 8, 2017, 4:23 PM

Is that a new thing?

Because "school board operating" and "school board bonds (566-1829)" are itemized as 63.0% of my property tax bill on my house.

It'd be pretty easy to itemize that.

Again, just do what the Lake Murray folks do, leave trash,

Feb 8, 2017, 4:26 PM

old toilets and bathtubs, and other random furniture along your property line out by the road in an effort to lower their property values.

That would be a proper Gamecock thing to do.

Feb 8, 2017, 4:29 PM

It won't matter here. Have you seen home prices in the old village in Mt Pleasant? Parts of that ARE a ghetto.

What if we quit educating illegal immigrants children?

Feb 8, 2017, 4:29 PM [ in reply to Again, just do what the Lake Murray folks do, leave trash, ]

Wonder how far that would go?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do you quit educating the all children of illegal immigrants

Feb 8, 2017, 4:39 PM

or just the one's that aren't citizens themselves?

If you cut off education to undocumented students, between state, federal, and local governments, the total savings would be around $6.5 billion. Or, a savings between state, federal and local governments of 0.009%

All of the children of illegal immigrants

Feb 8, 2017, 4:43 PM

Dejar la escuela's amigos. Tienen que pagar para jugar.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So citizens as well? It would likely cost more in legal

Feb 8, 2017, 4:48 PM

expenses than any savings achieved by implementing this program.

Long term, I doubt it. Maybe do away with the whole anchor

Feb 8, 2017, 4:56 PM

baby concept. You know, don't reward people for breaking the law type of stuff.

Good luck with that.***

Feb 8, 2017, 5:02 PM

Yeah, makes too much sense. We'll just keep up this game

Feb 8, 2017, 5:07 PM

until we run out of money, I know.

lulz "undocumented"***

Feb 8, 2017, 4:43 PM [ in reply to Do you quit educating the all children of illegal immigrants ]

Congrats, you've passed the RobertN scale in that every post

Feb 8, 2017, 4:50 PM

is a troll.

I also saw my pole got taken down. I think the lunge was in about 80% agreement concerning your misery.

Ain't that something***

Feb 8, 2017, 4:53 PM

And I like how you'ev bought into the "undocumented" thing

Feb 8, 2017, 4:55 PM

Just saying "undocumented" doesn't change that it's against federal law.

In that same post I also used the term illegal immigrant.

Feb 8, 2017, 4:59 PM

Was just using the shorthand. Unbunch your britches.

Yeah, I'm mad.

Feb 8, 2017, 5:03 PM

I think I'll start a "pole".

lulz

I don't use the military, I shouldn't be taxed for that.***

Feb 8, 2017, 4:15 PM [ in reply to I'm okay with that*** ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Helll yeah, I'm on board with that.***

Feb 8, 2017, 4:15 PM [ in reply to I'm okay with that*** ]

So my wife can expect to have to pay more out of pocket

Feb 8, 2017, 3:48 PM [ in reply to It is really simple. Public education is a monopoly. ]

to do her job?

Yeah, I don't think you're getting the question.

Feb 8, 2017, 3:49 PM [ in reply to It is really simple. Public education is a monopoly. ]

Do you want the states and local govs to have more power, thus either extremely limiting or eliminating the Dept of Ed?

Or are you calling for a national voucher program forced by the feds that will cost taxpayers billions?

Which one is it?

Hint: Only one of these answers is the conservative one.

If the feds regulate and fund the schools, the schools

Feb 8, 2017, 3:51 PM

will be no different than we now have.

Soooo...

Feb 8, 2017, 3:52 PM

That puts you in the "more power to states and locals" camp, correct? Less Dept of Ed?

The closer you can get to the people, the better.***

Feb 8, 2017, 3:55 PM

am i the only one in umerica that doesn't give on

Feb 8, 2017, 3:46 PM

#### over Devos or DoE? or anything related to any of it?

it just seems like the outrage of the day that always fizzles until the next outrage comes up.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Try paying property taxes in Anderson county and then

Feb 8, 2017, 3:49 PM

reading the local news. It's like sheet, if that ain't money NOT well spent, I dunno what is.

Well, yeah. You have to pay the property taxes for schools,

Feb 8, 2017, 3:53 PM

and if you want your child to go to private school, you have to pay again for that.

Fully understand, my point was more about the fact that I

Feb 8, 2017, 3:56 PM

don't feel like I'm getting a very good ROI when the kid whose education I'm funding is breaking into my garage.

Crap, man. The gov't NEVER gives you a good ROI.***

Feb 8, 2017, 3:59 PM

I guess the schools are supposed to fix that...

Feb 8, 2017, 4:05 PM [ in reply to Fully understand, my point was more about the fact that I ]

And not the parents?

Bingo!!!***

Feb 8, 2017, 4:09 PM

Some say education solves these types of problems

Feb 8, 2017, 4:10 PM [ in reply to I guess the schools are supposed to fix that... ]

Probably more complicated than that, my comment was more in jest....But I do feel like I pay a shitton of money to help educate some hopeless souls.

You are paying for some expensive baby sitting.***

Feb 9, 2017, 8:04 AM

Re: Well, yeah. You have to pay the property taxes for schools,

Feb 8, 2017, 9:26 PM [ in reply to Well, yeah. You have to pay the property taxes for schools, ]

The way it should be.

For the record...

Feb 8, 2017, 3:50 PM [ in reply to am i the only one in umerica that doesn't give on ]

I'm not surprised you don't a #### over education.

She's going to put God back in schools.

Based upon a scientific study of my Buddybook feed.

Going to end public edu and turn us into Christian Iran

Feb 8, 2017, 4:13 PM

Based upon my Facebook feed.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So we have the same feed?

Feb 8, 2017, 4:50 PM

Seems to be a 50/50 split on whether people are for or against.

Mine is 99% against

Feb 8, 2017, 4:56 PM

I'm afraid to call down the wrath of liberal Facebook Ctulhu if I so much as make a qualified defense of DeVos. Just about every comment I've seen about Jeff Sessions just assumes he's a racist. It's crazy.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like the idea of abolishing the DoED so I'll chime in.

I haven't paid an ounce of attention to the Sec of Ed drama. I don't know what her policies are. I agree that the elimination of the Department and resultant elimination of her position would make her proposals irrelevant.

null

Okay...

Feb 8, 2017, 3:51 PM

So that's why I don't get why the same people (not necessarily you) are hollering about more "choice," a national voucher program, etc.

They can't have both.

I don't understand. Just because they wouldn't have the federal

Feb 8, 2017, 3:56 PM

government mandating or financing school programs doesn't mean that a state wouldn't decide to do it, right?

null

Well, yeah, they could.

Feb 8, 2017, 3:59 PM

But DeVos wants a national system. But if we just put in the state's hands, they could call their own shots on it.

But what if a state goes off the reservation and

Feb 8, 2017, 4:12 PM

continues to push public education with little to no Jesus in it?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

God will smite them. It'll be cool. Just wait.***

Feb 8, 2017, 4:13 PM

So, you agree with eliminating Pell Grants, College Work-

Feb 8, 2017, 5:13 PM [ in reply to I like the idea of abolishing the DoED so I'll chime in. ]

Study, Federal Direct Loans, etc.?

You think states are gonna take up the slack for those programs?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

None of that stuff requires a federal department***

Feb 8, 2017, 5:20 PM

It does if the states don't take up the slack. You think SC

Feb 9, 2017, 8:56 AM

would take up the slack?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So help a brother out on all this education stuff.

Feb 8, 2017, 5:44 PM

Education is not a power granted to the federal government in the Constitution. Per the 10th amendment, it should be completely under control of the States. The goal of any true conservative should be to shut the department of education down. Not sure what the goal is with the hiring of DeVos, but I'm sure she's a fine lady.

I do not support the feds forcing school choice...

Feb 8, 2017, 6:25 PM

on the states. I support the feds not standing the way of a state choosing to offer school choice.

I also do not give credence to any reports that charter schools cost extra money to the feds/states, as it very much depends on how such schools are structured and how the funding/credits are structured.

I would like first get to the point of the fed funding to the states not coming with strings attached (which is basically the way the feds get away with legislating public education to the states since they really don't have the Constitutional power to do so outright on most issues). NCLB is a good example of that, since it didn't really "force" the states to do anything, but rather made federal funding dependent on complying.

Re: I do not support the feds forcing school choice...

Feb 8, 2017, 8:09 PM

I support the feds not standing the way of a state choosing to offer school choice.

Agreed. But I also think this should be left to referendum if the plan is to scrap public ed and move to 100 percent choice. But I take strong issue with public monies going to private, Christian (or any religious) institution.

I also do not give credence to any reports that charter schools cost extra money to the feds/states, as it very much depends on how such schools are structured and how the funding/credits are structured.

I believe they've found that on the whole admin salaries are higher at charter schools and less on instruction. I think they receive the same funding as traditional schools.

NCLB is a good example of that, since it didn't really "force" the states to do anything, but rather made federal funding dependent on complying.

Agreed, and it pretty much held schools in poor areas hostage with funds, which caused many to fudge numbers.

Re: I do not support the feds forcing school choice...

Feb 9, 2017, 8:59 AM

I agree with you on all of this. School choice in SC is a sore subject for me. Part of the school choice program is charter and magnet schools that except students who are in their district and then use a lottery program to fill the rest of their seats. I'm not sure how that qualifies as school choice. It's more like luck of the draw.

In CCSD, Charter and magnet schools have special programs (academic and arts), smaller classroom sizes, and higher paid teachers. If you're lucky, and your child's name is drawn, he/she can experience a better education. The rest of us remain status quo in our public schools. Tax payers pay millions more for school buses to support getting all of these children to their respective schools, some as far as 20+ miles away. Add to that, many school bus stops are in grocery store parking lots and therefore still require parent assistance to get their child there.

The people who are less likely to take advantage of this are people in poor communities who cannot or do not have the means to provide transportation. The people who are more likely, and do, are people in middle-class communities who already have access to good public schools but want their children to go to special schools.

I think there are also social implications with this structure as well. Middle-class children likely don't attend school with their neighbors and therefore are less likely to be social outside of school. Children who attend special schools are exposed to better programs, which to me seems to produce inequality in learning and therefore creates a social gap among children and their peers.

Just my 2 cents. I'm not for it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 65
| visibility 547
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic