Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Kirby's desire to placate Justin Fields was costly...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 3,328

Kirby's desire to placate Justin Fields was costly...

Dec 3, 2018, 11:23 AM

Fields has been a distraction behind the scenes all year for UGA. There were rumors that Fields' dad was constantly calling the coaching staff and complaining about his lack of playing time.

Kirby kept putting him in games at random moments that never made sense. Fields was completely ineffective. He would just run around and get tackled. Then, Fromm would come back in. It looks so contrived.

It ultimately proved costly as Fields was once again put on the field for that disastrous fake punt. Bama covered it before the snap but the coaching staff and Fields failed to recognize the adjustment and call a timeout.

Kirby's arrogant desire to be king recruiter and not a football coach bit him and the Dawgs in the a$$.

Kirby gonna Kirby...indeed.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I didn't dislike the fake punt call like most of the world.

Dec 3, 2018, 11:29 AM

I just thought that using Fields was a big mistake.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No one was fooled that Fields might actually be in there

Dec 3, 2018, 11:31 AM

to block for a punt

Clemson

Re: I didn't dislike the fake punt call like most of the world.

Dec 3, 2018, 11:33 AM [ in reply to I didn't dislike the fake punt call like most of the world. ]

On the play, Fields had multiple options if the inside run wasn't there. He didn't use any of them.

He either made a poor decision or predetermined that the play was his.

Clemson fans have seen that before. Glad we're past it. Thanks again, Dabo.

i actually thought it was maybe supposed to be a pitch to

Dec 3, 2018, 12:11 PM

the punter. it even looked like that might have worked.

Dec 3, 2018, 11:38 AM [ in reply to I didn't dislike the fake punt call like most of the world. ]

I just thought that using Fields was a big mistake.

Alabama lined up in punt safe formation they should have called the fake off immediately

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bama was in punt safe on 4th and 11

Dec 3, 2018, 11:38 AM [ in reply to I didn't dislike the fake punt call like most of the world. ]

The odds of any fake punting working there were slim to none. It was a monumentally stupid call.

Dec 3, 2018, 11:41 AM [ in reply to I didn't dislike the fake punt call like most of the world. ]

Not just that disterous fake punt - we kept wondering why Fields kept showing up, breaking the rhythm. Why do it? Was it to shake up, frighten or intimidate Bama? Didn't work. Helped blow the game.

Dec 3, 2018, 11:48 AM

Kirby said the fake punt was because "They came to WIN the game." Guess you do that with high percentage plays like fake punts, onside kicks & 2-pointers.

I can see it

Dec 3, 2018, 11:30 AM

Like when Tommy promised prize recruit freshman Harper to get first carry of first game - against Bammer. Bad result there and set tone for blowout.

Re: I can see it

Dec 3, 2018, 11:35 AM

The Harper fumble was a nail in TB’s coffin that year.

Dec 3, 2018, 11:37 AM [ in reply to I can see it ]

I thought it was Kirby's fault 100%. 4th and 11 at midfield with time running out and you go for a fake punt ? 4th and 3 maybe but not 4th and 11.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2018, 12:16 PM

That was by no means the worse call by Kirby, His deciding to not pressure Tua after going up 28-14 was the worse call. It gave Tua plenty of time to make his passes and Bama drove down the field to make the score 28-21. up until that point Tua had only completed 3 passes for like 25 yards. Kirby keeps the pressure on Tua and eventually Hurts the game isn't 28-28 with 3 minutes left and Kirby punts the ball with at least a 7 to 14 point lead. This is one of the reasons why we lost the 2015 NC. We thought we had the game wrapped after 3 quarters and decided to relax some. Now part of that was key injuries to Alexander and Lawson did not help matters along with a KO return for a TD but it all stems from thinking we had the game in hand.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fields is no

Dec 3, 2018, 11:50 AM

DJ Shockly.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Kirby's desire to placate Justin Fields was costly...

Dec 3, 2018, 12:09 PM

It was idiotic.

You can't blame the outcome of one play as the reason...

Dec 3, 2018, 12:23 PM

a team won or lost. It could have just as well been blamed on an offensive lineman who missed a block in the previous series which prevented UGA from getting a first down which made the punt necessary.

It could have been as much as someone in UGA's secondary out of place which allowed Bama to gain a first down and proceed to score on that drive.

It just makes no sense to attribute one play or one player with the a loss the win. I explained that to my baseball players and stressed the importance of each player being where they are suppose to be and doing what they are supposed to do according to how each pitch turned out.

It's difficult to explain all that to 8-10 year olds but by the time they were all 14-15 year olds they played defense like the pros.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Kirby N. S. Smart

Dec 3, 2018, 12:54 PM

N. = Not
S. = So

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Replies: 16
| visibility 3,328
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic