Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Don't understand why we can't recruit better players...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Don't understand why we can't recruit better players...

Dec 1, 2014, 9:09 PM

I see teams at many mid major schools with much better talent than us. Wouldn't a lot of these players, if recruited, love to play a lot in the ACC ? If we can recruit big time football players to come to Clemson, why can't we do it with bball ?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Don't understand why we can't recruit better players...

Dec 1, 2014, 9:09 PM

lets see what would you sell as Clemson's HC?

Our wonderful fan support?

Our wonderful tradition?

Our wonderful facilities?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Dec 1, 2014, 9:14 PM

Yes. Our fans support good teams that give good effort and win.

Yes. We are tearing LJ down to the studs and reconstructing.

Yes. We have a history of having talent and wins in the ACC. Just not recntley.

When Coahc K came to Duke, it was bottomed out..a virtual go nowhere job.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Don't agree about Duke when K arrived..

Dec 1, 2014, 9:20 PM

the three seasons before K arrived Duke was 27-7, 22-8, and 24-9 under Bill Foster.

They dipped a bit during K's first three years. Maybe that's what you're thinking of?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Dec 1, 2014, 9:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Don't understand why we can't recruit better players... ]

1) no they dont unless we are playing Duke or UNC or another big name

2) Hasnt started yet and is way over due who knows it might be half assed like we did it in the early 2000s.

3) lol.... yea we have a pretty ###### basketball history

You really are talking out of your ### about the Duke job.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Dec 1, 2014, 11:29 PM

We had plenty of sell outs in Purnell's last 3 seasons. Our fans will show up if the product is worth watching - which is a good team that competes and plays hard every night.

As long as play the style of bball

Dec 2, 2014, 2:15 AM

that we currently play, recruiting is going to suffer. Right or wrong, kids these days want to get up and down the floor. What blue chip recruit would want to come play in our grind it out style of offense?

I was wondering what more you wanted from Dabo & Co

Dec 1, 2014, 9:12 PM

Then I read more.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I bet Duke and Wake wonder why they can't recruit better

Dec 1, 2014, 9:14 PM

football players.

Re: I bet Duke and Wake wonder why they can't recruit better

Dec 1, 2014, 9:16 PM

Duke had more all acc FOOTBALL players this year than we did...

That's thanks to an amazing coach in Cutcliffe, they weren't

Dec 1, 2014, 9:24 PM

recruited at that caliber.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Small schools (for Power 5 conference), very little

Dec 1, 2014, 9:23 PM [ in reply to I bet Duke and Wake wonder why they can't recruit better ]

tradition, football takes a back seat to basketball.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

I was trying to contrast the op's rationale that because we

Dec 1, 2014, 9:34 PM

can recruit big time players in football we should be able to do the same in basketball. Duke can take their pick of McDonald's All Americans year in, year out but they have signed 3 4* players in football since 2010 (according to a quick search on Rivals). We signed 7 4* and 1 5* last year. Just pointing out that they don't necessarily go hand in hand.

Dec 1, 2014, 9:19 PM

I think the upgraded player amenities and a much better practice facility will be a big help. Currently there's nothing impressive to show recruits along the lines of the football program. I've always felt the arena itself as long as it was decent wasn't much of a factor in recruiting. It's the facilities the players use everyday which makes the difference.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

That's a legitimate question. I am certain we can, but if

Dec 1, 2014, 9:21 PM

the answer is determined to be no, then we need to bulldoze Littlejohn and scrap the plans for a new arena because this is an embarrassment. Just give up the basketball program altogether and bring back wrestling.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Clemson has one of the worst basketball facilities in the

Dec 1, 2014, 9:25 PM

ACC, we really need to improve it to even have a chance to wow some potential recruits.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

I agree completely, and have said many times that a total,

Dec 1, 2014, 11:26 PM

very public commitment was needed by the powers that be to our basketball program. The new arena/facilities are a huge part of that.

We need to attract better basketball players. Better players want to play for a school that is serious about basketball, and a school at which they believe they can win big. That requires top notch facilities and a coach that players believe can take them to the top. That requires a coach that meets at least one of the following: (A) Has a proven track record in big-time basketball, meaning regular NCAA appearances past the 1st round. (B) Relates to the players in a powerful and unique way.

If we had those things, there is no reason we couldn't win big at Clemson.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Dec 1, 2014, 9:24 PM

The player that beat us tonight, Junior Etau, we went the distance with. Eliminate us after making the comment "I want to play for a big time program"......then he went to Rutgers. Smh. CU is just a tough gig. We have the right guy in place. Can't say enough for Brownell's resiliency.

We lack the facilities and Brownell doesn't seem to be the

Dec 1, 2014, 9:26 PM

charismatic recruiter/coach that can attract talent on his own.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brownell has been ratcheting up recruiting over his tenure

Dec 1, 2014, 9:59 PM

here pretty regularly. Not that any class has been a blockbuster, but it's improved from a talent level standpoint. Our two signees upcoming represent yet another step in that same direction.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Brownell has been ratcheting up recruiting over his tenure

Dec 1, 2014, 10:23 PM

agree but it is taking longer than I thought... not ready to give up but IMHO we need more progress

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

South Carolina high school basketball is terrible

Dec 1, 2014, 10:30 PM

What little elite talent there is leaves. The level of high school coaching is beyond poor. It's hard for Clemson to go on the road and compete in recruiting.

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic