Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Coots only school in the nation with 3 top 5 "major" programs
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 1

Coots only school in the nation with 3 top 5 "major" programs

Feb 11, 2014, 2:51 PM

A coot called in "Dr" Rick Sanford's radio show on 560theteam and wanted to know what other schools had their 3 "major" programs in the top 5?

The "major" programs the coot was referring to were football, baseball and... wait for it... women's basketball.

Thought everyone could use a good laugh.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I lol'd at the fact that that coot actually thinks

Feb 11, 2014, 2:53 PM

the former governor has a radio show!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Not surprising considering this is the same school that...

Feb 11, 2014, 2:56 PM

referrs to its two NIT Tourmanmrnt Championships as "National Championships".

What a bunch of maroons.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Coots only school in the nation with 3 top 5 "major" programs

Feb 11, 2014, 2:58 PM

Last I checked the Baseball team was 14th to finish the 2013 year and Women's basketball was 16th last year. I guess he wants to stop the seasons now if he is considering pre and mid season rankings.

You want to talk about an athletic program talk to Louisville. I believe all 4 of their major programs have finished in the top 15 in the last 2 years.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Feb 11, 2014, 3:01 PM

I may be wrong but I don't believe baseball is considered a major except for the coots of course.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They aren't even preseason top 5 in baseball

Feb 11, 2014, 3:09 PM [ in reply to Re: Coots only school in the nation with 3 top 5 "major" programs ]

so I'm not sure what the hell the coot was talking about to begin with

Don't forget arrest and beer drinking in 5 Points?***

Feb 11, 2014, 3:16 PM

They do have a number of solid programs right now, but the

Feb 11, 2014, 3:22 PM

simple truth is that their baseball program is pre-season #14 and finished last season also at #14. There's just no way they can claim to be a top 5 program right now. Still, no arguing that they don't have a solid baseball program, and their football and women's basketball are both in the top 5 right now.

null

Re: They do have a number of solid programs right now, but the

Feb 11, 2014, 3:44 PM

True. To be fair there was a publication that came out today with us ranked #3, so maybe that is where all this started. That same publication had Clemson at #8, I believe, which is the highest I have seen them, so maybe they are based in this state?

South Carolina baseball since 1975: 31 NCAA Tournament appearances including a streak of 14 straight / 12 Super Regional appearances/ 11 College World Series berths / 5 National Championship game appearances / National Champions in 2010 and 2011. The Gamecocks hold 3 NCAA records for postseason success: The most consecutive NCAA tournament wins (22) / The most consecutive wins in the College World Series (12) / The most consecutive home NCAA tournament wins (29).
Since 1992 The Gamecocks have competed in the SEC and have 4 SEC titles / 1 SEC tournament title / 7 SECE titles.

Re: They do have a number of solid programs right now, but the

Feb 11, 2014, 4:07 PM [ in reply to They do have a number of solid programs right now, but the ]

One season removed from three CWS Final appearances, 2 of those resulting in championships, and last year made it to the Supers. You're an idiot if you believe that the overall state of SC Baseball isn't tops in the country.

I believe the statement was referring to current rankings,

Feb 11, 2014, 4:27 PM

no one is arguing that y'all don't have a solid team, and how y'all do this season will justify a top 5 ranking or it won't.

You're an idiot if you're addressing something the op didn't reference

Whatever you do, always give 100%.....unless it's donating blood

Re: I believe the statement was referring to current rankings,

Feb 12, 2014, 12:11 PM

Your orange tinted glasses cloud clear judgment that while South Carolina didn't have a top 5 TEAM last season, they do have a current top 5 program in the country. Programs are not based off of 1 season, but by a sample size. Same for every sport.

only if you go back 5 years,and no more, right. smh***

Feb 12, 2014, 1:48 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: only if you go back 5 years,and no more, right. smh***

Feb 12, 2014, 5:43 PM

If you would like to go back 15 years we can do that too. 6 appearances in the CWS, 4 trips to the CWS Finals, 2 Championships, 14 consecutive NCAA Tourny Appearances, the most consecutive NCAA tournament wins (22) and the most consecutive wins in the College World Series (12), and top 10 in CWS wins ALL TIME.

You can debate the relevance of college baseball all you'd like, but unlike Clemson, the Gamecocks are a part of college baseball's stitching.

you are talking 1 sport. the op stated three top-5 sports.***

Feb 13, 2014, 3:46 AM

you do know how much a team can change in " 1 yr.removed"

Feb 12, 2014, 1:47 PM [ in reply to Re: They do have a number of solid programs right now, but the ]

,right ? o.k. on second thought, you probably don't.

Whew! I just knew you were going to say our #1 equestrian

Feb 11, 2014, 3:41 PM

Team. That would have been embarrassing, for sure.

I mean, who considers equestrian a "major" sport, right?

South Carolina baseball since 1975: 31 NCAA Tournament appearances including a streak of 14 straight / 12 Super Regional appearances/ 11 College World Series berths / 5 National Championship game appearances / National Champions in 2010 and 2011. The Gamecocks hold 3 NCAA records for postseason success: The most consecutive NCAA tournament wins (22) / The most consecutive wins in the College World Series (12) / The most consecutive home NCAA tournament wins (29).
Since 1992 The Gamecocks have competed in the SEC and have 4 SEC titles / 1 SEC tournament title / 7 SECE titles.

3time ain't gonna like this.***

Feb 11, 2014, 3:43 PM

What is the fifth major sport?

Feb 11, 2014, 3:43 PM

nm

Equestrian, clearly! ******

Feb 11, 2014, 3:45 PM

I will say

Feb 11, 2014, 3:59 PM

The coots have done an excellent job with their baseball program. It is nice to know I will still be able to watch a comepetitive ball game between us and the coots after Slurrier retires.

Feb 11, 2014, 4:03 PM

Nothing funny about that. I wish Clemson could boast of the same!!

WOMEN'S basketball is NOT a major sport!!!! You need

Feb 11, 2014, 5:34 PM

to count the men's team which should be in the top 200.

Baseball can't be a major sport

Feb 11, 2014, 4:23 PM

When it gives out half schollies and depends on another REAL major sport to support it.

That guy must work at J.D. Byrider perfecting his oral diarrhea for his show.

Doc

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

There are only 2 major sports in college: Football and….

Feb 11, 2014, 4:27 PM

Basketball. Sorry, but they are not a top 5 team in football. A top five team doesn't lose to a team as bad as UT. Also, they are definitely not better than Alabama or Oklahoma. The only reason they were ranked 4 was because of SEC bias in the polls. Most college fans outside of the $EC tards, think the polls are a joke.

There is really only one major sport in this state

Feb 11, 2014, 5:51 PM

and that's football.

Neither school cares about Basketball when the teams are bad.

But, we were a top 5 team as evidenced by the final polls. It's just sour grapes to argue otherwise.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Re: There is really only one major sport in this state

Feb 11, 2014, 5:55 PM

You may be right about interest in South Carolina, but nationwide the only sports that generally draw attention are football and basketball.

It's just GEDof09's way of avoiding the facts***

Feb 13, 2014, 4:59 AM

Well, Toogie, considering you haven't won an NCAA

Feb 11, 2014, 6:30 PM [ in reply to There is really only one major sport in this state ]

tournament basketball game in your entire life, it's no wonder your hilarious hypocritical self would try to pretend it's insignificant. I mean, never mind the fact it's the second biggest revenue producer is college sports.

Again, you got issues. Serious issues.

At least you don't even try to hide that you're not Tooka

Feb 11, 2014, 6:47 PM

Goat Cheese/your hundreds of other names now.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Nobody is going to remember your teams ranking this...

Feb 13, 2014, 4:56 AM [ in reply to There is really only one major sport in this state ]

year, but people will remember that our Orange Bowl win was the second most exciting game of the bowl season after the national title game. Your team's bowl win was apart of the most boring New Year's Day bowl games ever. Thanks to the Rose Bowl and Fiesta Bowl, for redeeming the end of New Years day. Because the $EC and Big 10, provided the most boring and uninspired games ever on New Year's Day.

Your basketball team is bad this year, not our's…..

Feb 13, 2014, 4:58 AM [ in reply to There is really only one major sport in this state ]

our's has a chance to make it to the NCAA tourney. It's you shamecocks who have no interest in basketball.

At least they aren't trying to claim Women's Equestrian

Feb 11, 2014, 5:08 PM

as a major program anymore

Feb 11, 2014, 6:31 PM

there are 4 sports that get national exposure on television, I'm sure that's what he meant and its not like our fanbase is the first to bring this up (Baylor, Louisville).

That said our Baseball team isn't in the top 5, and there really is only 2 major collegiate sports.

Sanford must be doping himself at the hospital.***

Feb 11, 2014, 6:56 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 12, 2014, 11:09 PM

If they could get their chess club in the top 5 then USUC would have truly reached elite status.

Feb 13, 2014, 6:37 AM

That is on of the 5 major programs at any school. They are the most funded by far. South Carolina has football, men's basketball,baseball, women's basketball and it's probably a toss up from there. I don't have a clue what you think Clemson's 5 major sports are.

at clemson, you would have to include golf as a top-5 sport.

Feb 13, 2014, 7:14 AM

pretty sure you could say the same for usuc.

There is football

Feb 13, 2014, 7:25 AM

And behind that ...fluff and filler. When do we tee it up again against Geogia ?
Coots have a great horse team .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Replies: 38
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic