Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I believe that a Bama loss this weekend keeps them out of the CFP this year.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 1

I believe that a Bama loss this weekend keeps them out of the CFP this year.

Nov 27, 2018, 7:45 PM

These statements about Bama being in regardless are based on fear and a complete lack of objectivity.

Remember, last year they got in with 1 loss and no conference title simply because the Big 10 and Pac 12 champs both had multiple losses. Plus, undefeated Wisconsin lost in the Big 10 championship game and had a poor resume otherwise. Bama had some nice wins in comparison to Wisky.

This year, we have an undefeated Notre Dame, and will likely have an undefeated ACC champ, a one loss Big XII champ, and a one loss Big 10 champ. Plus, in this scenario, a one loss SEC champ as well.

In that scenario, I think they would be #6. Yes, the CFP loves Bama and they tend to get the benefit of the doubt, but I don’t see how a one loss Bama with no conference championship gets in this year without complete chaos occurring this weekend.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: I believe that a Bama loss this weekend keeps them out of the CFP this year.

Nov 27, 2018, 7:47 PM

I want to agree but their closest margin of victory was 22 points. Even the vaunted 95 Nebraska team had a game they “only” won by 14. What’s more, this stat and it’s historic significance is well known and much discussed. So Bama probably gets in if they lose. Good news for us is they won’t lose, so they won’t have a month to prepare for us, just a week like normal.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How much does their margin of victory matter

Nov 27, 2018, 8:03 PM

if they also have one loss and no conference championship?

No way they get in over undefeated Notre Dame or one loss conference champs from power 5 conferences.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: How much does their margin of victory matter

Nov 27, 2018, 8:20 PM

Again, I hope you are right, but it comes down to Bama vs Okie or OSU, not undefeated ND. Last year proved that they will be put in over conference champs, as didnthe year before that (albeit that time it was OSU).

Apples and oranges.

Nov 27, 2018, 8:41 PM

Alabama got in last year over 2 loss Big 10 champ Ohio State and 3 loss Pac 12 champ USC.

That’s not remotely the same as getting in this year over one loss conference champs.

They'll have 5 weeks to prepare for Clemson. They know.***

Nov 27, 2018, 8:25 PM [ in reply to Re: I believe that a Bama loss this weekend keeps them out of the CFP this year. ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good argument, but...

Nov 27, 2018, 7:56 PM

You forgot about the all important eye test. Bama is the eye test standard that everyone else is compared to. Recall all the sings at gameday stating “ we want Bama”. A Bama loss just makes georgia more awesome then they already are in the media mindset. 2 sec teams would get in over ou or Osu.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No way.

Nov 27, 2018, 8:05 PM

Conspiracy theories are fun, but I don’t see how a one loss team with no conference championship gets in over one loss teams with conference championships.

Metrics have to matter, especially those metrics which the CFP has publicly stated are very important.

No conspiracy, Bama is the standard this year

Nov 27, 2018, 8:51 PM

An sec team that beats Bama would be considered equally awesome, and thus both would have to make it in.

The sec bias is real, look no further than 8 ranked teams with fl in the top 10.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I’m not doubting SEC bias.

Nov 27, 2018, 8:53 PM

It’s absolutely real. But I don’t see how the committee could possibly argue for Bama to get in over other 1 loss teams, with the distinguishing factor that they have a power 5 conference championship and Bama doesn’t.

Re: I believe that a Bama loss this weekend keeps them out of the CFP this year.

Nov 27, 2018, 7:58 PM

I think they get in with a loss to UGAY.

But, it would be fun to watch Little Nicky play nice and grovel...again.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And his campaign for inclusion would begin in his

Nov 27, 2018, 8:00 PM

post game show..........Betcha! lol

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

His "Conference Champion" statement aside. Funny how

Nov 27, 2018, 8:28 PM [ in reply to Re: I believe that a Bama loss this weekend keeps them out of the CFP this year. ]

that's been so conveniently forgotten.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I posted a few days ago that I'm glad I don't have

Nov 27, 2018, 7:58 PM

to serve on that committee.

If that crowd bases a selection that appears to be prejudicial toward the SEC, an unholy stink will arise that will be forever recorded in the anuses of human history!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don’t think the c***

Nov 27, 2018, 8:07 PM

I don’t think the committee would have a hard decision at all.

Nov 27, 2018, 8:10 PM [ in reply to I posted a few days ago that I'm glad I don't have ]

Undefeated ACC champion - easy.
Undefeated Notre Dame - easy.
One loss SEC champ - easy.
Either a one loss Big XII champ or a one loss Big 10 champ - tough decision.

Leaving out a one loss Bama without a conference championship is easy IMO.

If OU beats Texas, they would likely jump a 1 loss

Nov 27, 2018, 8:18 PM

'bama. If it has to be Ohio State, their loss would be much worse than little nicky's.

True, OSU would have a worse loss, but also a much better win.***

Nov 27, 2018, 8:54 PM

Nov 27, 2018, 8:00 PM

I wish I could agree with you, I believe they would put Bama in over Georgia. It will be a mess if Georgia wins but I really believe Bama is the real deal this year. If we beat them it will be by the 1 point Dabo was talking about.

Wait, you think a one loss Bama gets in over a one loss Georgia

Nov 27, 2018, 8:07 PM

Even though Georgia would have beaten them AND has an SEC Championship?!?

Please tell me you misread my post.

Nov 27, 2018, 8:08 PM

UGA would have to throttle Bama and I just don’t see it happening. Personally, I want Bama to win so they stay at 1. I don’t want to face them in the playoffs. I’d much rather take my chance in the championship

Do you honestly believe that the committee

Nov 27, 2018, 8:14 PM

would value one loss Bama without a conference championship over one loss power five teams WITH conference championships?

Honestly.

If so, what is that belief based on?

Re: Do you honestly believe that the committee

Nov 27, 2018, 10:22 PM

I sure don't think they should but I would not be surprised if they did. Bama looks better than OU or OSU imo. I think OSU should be higher than OU tho but they are not. I understand OSU has a worse L but blowing out a top 4 team should put OSU in the top 4 imo. How can you say a 1 L Michigan team is top 4 all year and then a 1 L OSU team beats them by 20 but they are not top 4? Conference championships should mean a lot to the committee but I believe eye test is all they really care about. I don't think they want 2 SEC teams they just want the 4 best teams and 2 of those just may happen to be in the SEC once again.

Nov 27, 2018, 8:15 PM

I agree , if Michigan had beaten Ohio St I would think differently about that … but I believe the winner of Texas/Oklahoma will get in if Bama is beaten by UGA .

I just don't see the Dawgs doing it . They are poor defensively against offenses with a pulse and Alabama will squash their run game .

Playoff will be Us , ND , Alabama and likely OU .

DB23

I agree, Bama will beat Georgia.

Nov 27, 2018, 8:19 PM

Probably by at least a couple of touchdowns. But if UGA beats them somehow, I think Bama is done.

Nov 27, 2018, 8:19 PM

Bama ain't jumping two 1 loss power five schools! Two SEC schools plus Notre Dame would equal riots in the streets.

Conference titles are a nice bonus when everything else

Nov 27, 2018, 8:22 PM

is relatively equal. Unfortunately, I don't think everything will be equal. If you take away the "conference title" badge and just look at what 12-1 Bama will have done compared to 12-1 OU and 12-1 OSU, I don't think it's very close.

I'm not going as far as to declare Bama a lock for the playoff already, but i think there's a very good chance that they could lose and still get in.

Conference championships are very important.

Nov 27, 2018, 8:48 PM

The committee has said so from the start of the college football playoffs. Obviously a conference title wasn’t enough last year for OSU or USC, but they also had multiple losses. I believe that either would’ve gotten in over Bama if they only had 1 loss.

Yeah but this year's Bama is a much stronger contender

Nov 27, 2018, 9:07 PM

than last year's Bama too. 12-1 vs 11-1 plus the whole murdering everyone on their schedule thing. They haven't played a game yet this season where their win prob was less than 100%. That's pretty ridiculous. Granted losing to Georgia would show that they are mortal, but losing to Georgia is a lot better than losing to Texas or, in particular, getting murdered by Purdue.

Nov 27, 2018, 8:38 PM

No way the CFP Committee leaves out Bama. If only undefeated teams are Clemson and ND, Bama gets in over any other one loss team. As we all witnessed last year, conference championships don't matter.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But last year was a completely different scenario.

Nov 27, 2018, 8:45 PM

Ohio State was the Big 10 champ and they had two losses.

USC was the Pac 12 champ and they had 3 losses.

Bama had a very strong resume last year, despite their loss and no conference championship. However, I don’t think they would’ve gotten in last year if Ohio State only had one loss or USC only had one loss.

Re: But last year was a completely different scenario.

Nov 27, 2018, 8:58 PM

I think the Judge is spot on. This is especially the case after two SEC teams were in last year. If they let that happen again it creates many questions. Plus, the conference champion thing is important. We all know Bama is a very good team, but championships mean much. Either Bama or UGA has to be out.

Re: But last year was a completely different scenario.

Nov 27, 2018, 10:10 PM

If they put two SEC teams in this year , get ready for trouble .

Nov 27, 2018, 10:19 PM

Since EVERY analyst this season has said that Bama is in regardless of losing to UGA, I would have to disagree with you. Now if Tua gets hurt, or Bama loses by 30-40, then maybe, maybe, I might agree with you.

These are the same analysts who said that we wouldn't

Nov 27, 2018, 10:45 PM

beat Alabama in the national championship game in Tampa. They were wrong.

I'm not doubting that Alabama is a very good team. But there has to be some sort of rubric for the committee to use, and it better be more than just the "eye test" or there is no point in being in a conference and winning conference championships.

I agree. Two 1 loss SEC teams should not get in over

Nov 27, 2018, 10:49 PM

two 1 loss Big 10 and Big 12 teams. That would be wrong.

If you are not the best team in your conference, you cannot possibly be the best team in the nation.

Nov 28, 2018, 11:36 AM

Would somebody please give this horse a decent burial?

Nov 28, 2018, 11:55 AM

I hate to break it to you but Bama is getting into the CFP with a loss to Georgia. As someone stated earlier in this thread...it will come down to Bama's loss in the SEC Champ game to 12-1 Georgia, Ohio State's 29 point loss to 6-6 Purdue and Oklahoma's 3 point loss to 9-4 Texas. The committee has shown every year that they are willing to place the 4 best teams in the playoffs regardless of conference championship wins.

Replies: 37
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic