Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I await the wrath of TNET..... Not sure this will go over
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 66
| visibility 1

I await the wrath of TNET..... Not sure this will go over

Oct 5, 2014, 7:26 PM

well - but in light of DERoberts post re fans leaving early ect - I'll just let it out...

#4 is a outstanding talent the likes I have never seen and I am THRILLED that he is all in on the TOO DEEP.

But...

I hope that the coaches will have a little talk with him over some game footage...Two weeks in a row, I said outloud "don't do that crap!" with the celebrating nonsense ala superman this weekend.

I know he is a kid - and I get it... but having watched Winston, Newton and the like with the - "look at me, me, me" stuff - I really do not want to see that in the Valley.

Do your INCREDIBLY SPECIAL THING - politely hand the ball to the nearest idiot ACC Referee and jog back to the sideline to await the next ESPN top 10 play after the NASTY posts another 3 and out -

We all know Clemson is different - in a classy way - and I like it.

No showboat required.

I await my punishment.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I await the wrath of TNET..... Not sure this will go over

Oct 5, 2014, 7:27 PM

Boyd used to have fun after TDs, too. HTH

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

who?***

Oct 5, 2014, 7:29 PM

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

I cringed the one time he did the money thing***

Oct 5, 2014, 11:19 PM [ in reply to Re: I await the wrath of TNET..... Not sure this will go over ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

This post makes me want to

Oct 5, 2014, 7:32 PM

Be penalized for targeting, stand over your frail body and taunt you while doing the throat-slash, Cam Newton Superman move, and dirty bird dance all at the same time and right before they take me off the field after ejection...

give you a coot salute.

Very nicely done.

Oct 5, 2014, 7:34 PM

Thank you, may I have another.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Individual celebrations and the woo-hoo are two things that

Oct 5, 2014, 7:33 PM

I have accepted will never change; that we just have to overlook the foolishness and realize things just don't change once they are screwed up.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Oct 5, 2014, 7:37 PM

agree 100% and he did do that but think that is a very isolated incident. watson is a very humble guy from everything i have seen. cant see this being a problem.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Been hearing the same Coach - but its eating at me.

Oct 5, 2014, 7:50 PM

I think that if he totally tones that stuff out, the media / heisman folks will literally put this kid on the high road of how to do it right -

Just play, freak everyone out with talent, and watch the 24/7 outlets go gaga -

As a PR/Marketing dude - I wish I could be his agent.

As long as he doesn't go all "Crab Legs" on us, I'm fine ...

Oct 5, 2014, 7:50 PM [ in reply to Re: I await the wrath of TNET..... Not sure this will go over ]

... I'm fine with a little enthusiasm that is within the rules and doesn't cost us a penalty.

Kids get excited and sometimes they want to show it.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He has everything going for him. Stay humble. Avoid the

Oct 5, 2014, 8:13 PM [ in reply to Re: I await the wrath of TNET..... Not sure this will go over ]

risk of penalty. Most of all show class. I love him, but Superman stuff needs to go away right now forever.

Better yet conduct himself like the ROH #4.....total class!

Oct 5, 2014, 8:20 PM

Dabo and Chad should take care of this as he is too good to mess it up.

Steve Fuller was no angel on the field***

Oct 5, 2014, 9:04 PM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Huh?***

Oct 5, 2014, 11:39 PM

Oct 5, 2014, 7:42 PM

Taunting to me is the worst thing a QB can do. Look at Cam when he gets hit now almost all of the defensive players mock him. I am a Pittsburgh fan and was at the Carolina vs Pitt game and we had a blast watching the players and fans mock Cam. I prefer a QB that acts like doing great things are normal.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 5, 2014, 8:03 PM

So defensive players can act over a sack but a QB can't when he makes an amazing play.

Have fun when they're winning

Oct 5, 2014, 7:50 PM

and be pissed off when they're losing is exactly how I want my QBs . Go home Granny we dont need your opinion in 2014.

Oct 5, 2014, 7:53 PM

I hope he does not get a flag and bring the wrong kind of attention to himself.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 5, 2014, 7:54 PM

Everybody used to love a humble champion; me included, but it is a changing world. Seems like this kind of thing is what draws admirers to a star athlete. Any way, I'll admire the young man, be thankful he's a Tiger, be thankful he's not jameis, and cheer for him every Saturday.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Changing world not for the better in many cases.***

Oct 5, 2014, 8:35 PM

Re: Changing world not for the better in many cases.***

Oct 6, 2014, 9:17 AM

You are right; not for the better in many cases, but change it is, and there's not much we can do about it.

Sadly, it is a changing world.***

Oct 5, 2014, 11:41 PM [ in reply to Re: I await the wrath of TNET..... Not sure this will go over ]

I completely understand a spontaneous celebration. But

Oct 5, 2014, 7:54 PM

the less pre-planned, rehearsed behavior designed to draw attention to the individual, the better. When the first guy did a touchdown dance nearly 50 years ago, it was kinda cool and entertaining. Now, with every player having a signature dance routine every time they do their job and make a play, it has become childish and absurd.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I personally believe that simply throwing the ball

Oct 5, 2014, 7:56 PM

directly to the ref is about the best taunt there is. Just shows that you did exactly what you planned on doing, and there was never any doubt that you would succeed. I'm with the, "...been there before approach."

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^YES^^^^***

Oct 5, 2014, 7:59 PM

^^^Yes to you to sir!^^^ (original post)***

Oct 5, 2014, 8:04 PM

that was Sammy did it. When he made those circus

Oct 5, 2014, 8:51 PM [ in reply to I personally believe that simply throwing the ball ]

Catches against Maryland in his Freshman year in the end zone, all he did was get up and toss the ball to the ref. Not even a nod of a celebration. THAT was cool!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson Football, the glory days are here!

Gets it.***

Oct 5, 2014, 11:42 PM [ in reply to I personally believe that simply throwing the ball ]

I agree 1000%. Don't like showboats. Just play the game

Oct 5, 2014, 7:57 PM

and let your play speak for itself. I don't like any "look at me" displays.

I wonder what percentage of those responding

Oct 5, 2014, 8:01 PM

Have actually engaged in physical, contact sports and had success on ANY level. When your job is to put your body in dangerous situations being fueled by pure adrenaline, sometimes you find yourself getting excited when things go your way.

It's a little different than receiving a good grade on your term paper via email. The kid clearly puts in a ton of work during the week with film study and game preparation. If he starts penalizing the team with his behavior, then let's talk.

I have.***

Oct 5, 2014, 8:05 PM

Me as well

Oct 5, 2014, 8:11 PM

and even being just an average player on an average high school team (WR), it feels d@mn good to make a play on a CB or safety that has just knocked the wind out of you, talked personally about your mother after making a play, or grabs/hits you in places no man should at the bottom of a dogpile. It's easy for people to sit here and objectively critique these players, but it is a game fueled by passion. Is Watson passionate? Clearly. Over the line? Absolutely not.

Pepper in about 75,000 more fans screaming wearing neon orange, much much bigger/faster/stronger players coming at you, and the increased blood, sweat, and tears it takes to succeed at this level and yea...I can completely understand wanting to fist-pump, chest-bump, or celebrate with the team.

Two things:

Oct 5, 2014, 8:18 PM

1. He hasn't been "celebrating with the team" when he has done this the last 3 times I have seen it - pretty much by himself, drawing attention to himself.

It COULD be penalized 15 yds at the wrong time by an idiot ACC ref.

No need for it. Like previous poster said - flip the ball to the ref and head back to get ready to do it again !

2. Neon orange ? ? ? Where you watching games - at the dead cockroach where they have sections reserved for past, current & future chicken players that are in the state penal system, wearing state issued attire ? ? ?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

When you put it like that....understood.

Oct 5, 2014, 8:18 PM [ in reply to Me as well ]

I can understand. I think people just see so much potential, and are truly hoping he's not the next Manziel, Winston, Cam, etc. Personally, I don't see it being an issue with Watson, but.....

Re: Me as well

Oct 5, 2014, 8:35 PM [ in reply to Me as well ]

864Tiger828, perhaps you need to read the original post by terrier2, again. He certainly did not disparage the "team celebration" of chest bumping, etc. It is the "me me me" celebration he is talking about. I hope Dabo and company will nip it in the bud. If you want to celebrate a great pass, etc., then go back to the linemen that provided you the time to make the completion. Watson is a fine young man. My wife and I have had the pleasure of meeting him and talking for a while. I don't think it will be a "Cam/Jameis" type of situation. He is very grounded but still he is 18 years old and 18 year olds do some crazy things sometime. I know, I was there a very long time ago, very long time ago!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Again, nothing wrong with being excited or showing

Oct 5, 2014, 8:13 PM [ in reply to I wonder what percentage of those responding ]

your excitement. I understand that football players are engaged in an intense physical battle, and it's only natural for a player scoring a touchdown to practically explode with excitement. What is not natural, is to engage in a pre-planned, rehearsed dance routine or copy-cat antics designed to draw further attention to one's self, and I think that's what most people have a problem with. How, where, and when you express that excitement makes all the difference in the world.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: I wonder what percentage of those responding

Oct 5, 2014, 8:16 PM [ in reply to I wonder what percentage of those responding ]

I played, and the most I can remember any of our backs or receivers doing, after a score was to pass the ball to the ref. We, his team mates were usually quick to give him five, slap him on the back, or give him a hug. That was our celebration, but that was almost fifty years ago, and like I said things have changed. I like the humble attitude, but I can live with the other stuff. As long as the player doesn't embarrass his team or University like some are doing.

is calculus a contact sport? I'm not sure.

Oct 5, 2014, 8:17 PM [ in reply to I wonder what percentage of those responding ]

and I weedeat my yard and it throws rocks at me.

+1*********

Oct 5, 2014, 8:17 PM

Re: is calculus a contact sport? I'm not sure.

Oct 5, 2014, 8:21 PM [ in reply to is calculus a contact sport? I'm not sure. ]

Good one; I've been hurt just as bad on the job or working around the house, as I ever was as a player. Unless you count the Arthritis that has come from the pounding my body took. now that can be miserable at times.

Agree 1000% - saw the Superman stuff & cringed mightily...

Oct 5, 2014, 8:10 PM

Leave that at home, please.

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Oct 5, 2014, 8:13 PM

Come on Dude let the kids have fun as long as no flags let them have fun. Heck even Dabo jumps around when he gets excited. Nothing to see here DW is very humble and will never be a problem for his team.

It's not the Valley...It's Death Valley...

Oct 5, 2014, 8:13 PM

Does not say "Welcome to the Valley" The sign says "Welcome to Death Valley"

Not singling out Watson , but the individual "look how

Oct 5, 2014, 8:16 PM

great I am" celebration leaves me cold. Gurley pounding his chest in the end zone is classless.

I grew up in an era when this behavior was called showboating. It was frowned upon.

When you made a great play, you acted like you'd been there before. It wasn't your first rodeo. In a word, it was cool to be cool.

I love it when a player makes it to the end zone and flies back to his team to celebrate.

The "look at me" behavior is, in a word, selfish.

Oct 5, 2014, 8:18 PM

I agree

Oct 5, 2014, 8:25 PM

Stop living in the 1980. Danny is gone never to return. It is a different game today. The swagger is part of the game. Let it go please. If you are going to complain make a valid point. I complained about the running game last week and this week it was fixed or @ least for one game. Great job Dabo-Chad and company.

Oct 5, 2014, 9:08 PM

He did make a very valid point. Saw DW do it at least twice and I cringed. Apparently a lot of others did as well.

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

I missed the "superman" move. Was that the hurdle TD?

Oct 5, 2014, 8:32 PM

Able to leap tall linebackers in in single bound?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 5, 2014, 8:35 PM

Hate the "Superman" and "money" gestures. Don't like the "look at me" celebrations either, but youth today. Maybe Tigernet can offer an original "move" for our special player. Don't want him to be a Cam or Johnny copy cat.

Oct 5, 2014, 8:40 PM

Good post, terrier2, you are spot on!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I love it

Oct 5, 2014, 8:41 PM

Let the kids get excited, let em play with some swagger. I love watching the defense wave their arms in the air and jump around before the snap to get the crowd riled up, or watch them point at the offense (like the Auburn game in 2011) to get in the other team's head, or see them do the chest bump after a touchdown. I dont want to see showboating like an 80's Miami team, but I dont mind seeing them play with some attitude.

How many times have we as Clemson fans

Oct 5, 2014, 8:46 PM

sat there angry at our team because they seemed to show almost no emotion during games, while the other team was playing with their hair on fire clearly giving it everything they had emotionally and physically (see Alabama in Georgia dome). This seemed to be a disturbing pattern with Tommy's teams especially. Winston is not a good person and this is documented, but he hates to lose. You can see it in his eyes. This is a huge reason of why he is successful on the football field. Watson seems to take losing and failure very personally as well.

Now, all of a sudden we are upset because our players want to celebrate after making clutch plays and pumping the crowd up? I'll take a stupid dance all day as long as our players are genuinely giving the game their best effort.

Celebrating big plays is a part of football...

Oct 5, 2014, 9:02 PM [ in reply to I love it ]

These kids play with excitement and asking them to hand the ball to the ref with their heads down is bullcrap. We know what kind of character our guys have so let them do the superman, chest bump, and whatever else they want to do as long as it doesn't draw a penalty.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Many of you pine for the way things were done in the

Oct 5, 2014, 8:52 PM

70s and 80s , Ill remind you that youtube has many games that are available for viewing and that you will be severely disappointed in the why players celebrated in that time .

Can you cite a few examples?***

Oct 5, 2014, 11:50 PM

Never saw the original #4 pull a Superman.....

Oct 5, 2014, 8:52 PM

But if I had just leapt over a DB for a touchdown, I might have went over the top on the celebration myself.

The second 'mini' superman was the one best left not doing.

The coaches will give him some counsel, no doubt.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i had no problem with it..

Oct 5, 2014, 10:02 PM

its 2014 not 1950

I agree with you, sir.

Oct 5, 2014, 10:24 PM

What does the calendar year have to do with proper on-field deportment? If you call attention to yourself, it's selfish. Be it 2014, 1960, or 45 BC. Watson seems like a wonderful young man, and I don't necessarily think less of him for those silly stunts after his rushing touchdowns. But I guess I thought he was above that. Heck, I think anybody at Clemson is above that. That sort of showboatism is fine for Sundays and for other schools, but it rubs me the wrong way. I'm all for celebrating, but make it a team celebration. Run back to your teammates, or to the sideline. Superman poses, Heisman poses, bicep flexes, stuff like that, just disappoints me. I have a sick feeling that Watson is not wired to be a showboat but that he feels the pressure of the culture to toe the line. In other words, he felt he had to play to the crowd. If that is the case, we all should be ashamed.

Re: I agree with you, sir.

Oct 5, 2014, 11:01 PM

^ THIS.
I feel like you do---that, more than likely, Watson feels the need to be more "emotional" and play to the crowd instead of being his normal, level-headed and super focused self (which are the qualities that turned him into the great player that he is). After the FSU game, Dabo said something about how he'd like to see more emotion out of Watson. HUH?!?!? The last thing in this world I want is an emotional QB. Passionate? Yes. Emotional? No. Emotional QBs lose the games that matter most. Emotional QBs win every game, every season... except when the pressure is on... like against FSU and USC. No, thank you.

Greater respect is always earned when a leader behaves

Oct 6, 2014, 7:27 AM

as a gentleman and demonstrates humility, honor, dignity and class. Showboating is not a part of that formula.

Oct 6, 2014, 7:38 AM

Ask Vic or Dwayne Allen about celebration penalties. Plain and simple-this is on the coaches-tell the kids to go back to the huddle. Vic did the superman cape crap and they thought it was a throat slash and because it was a third down stop-OSU got a 1st down and ended up scoring. Mike Williams kinda strutted into the end zone on his first TD against NC State. It started after he crossed the line, but I know they will throw the flag and not count the td if they do this before they score. We have had more than enough celebration penalties to know better.

I would just implore you as a fan to show the same reserve

Oct 6, 2014, 7:59 AM

in the stands or at your house. No celebrating. Be respectful and golf clap. Sit down so those behind you can see.

Thank you for your cooperation. We are better than that.

Oct 6, 2014, 8:07 AM

The way I see it, they have all put in loads of hard work to finally get out there and play. Hours and hours of physical and mental exhaustion. The kids love it, it gets the crowd jacked up. I say as long as no flag is thrown, have fun. That's what brings in recruits, putting in all the hard work and then going on the field and letting it all out. IMO

I'm fine with it. It's called adrenaline.****

Oct 6, 2014, 8:22 AM

I'm fine with it. It's called adrenaline.****

Oct 6, 2014, 8:37 AM

Maybe one of the dumbest posts I've ever read on this board.

The kid is extremely humble and does everything right. So what if he wants to celebrate after a TD. Really a dumb, knit-picky thing to complain about. Ignorant as a matter-of-fact.

Didn't Lester Brown do a dance whenever he scored?*******

Oct 6, 2014, 5:22 PM

Oct 6, 2014, 5:29 PM

So we have run out of things to ##### and whine about obviously. God forbid the kid show a little emotion. He hasn't gone overboard on anything and don't think he will. Some of you on here truly have nothing better to do but over analyze EVERY FRICKIN' THING about this team. You guys argue about all this BS while I get my popcorn and sit back and enjoy the Clemson show.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 66
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic