Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Question: Does it hurt or help Clemson to play an extra game & OHst doesn't?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1,047

Question: Does it hurt or help Clemson to play an extra game & OHst doesn't?

Nov 30, 2016, 10:55 PM

Saying..we get more experience but could acquire injuries AND allow OHst to see more of our plays/formations/tendencies.

What know you?

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Question: Does it hurt or help Clemson to play an extra game & OHst doesn't?

Nov 30, 2016, 11:04 PM

It hurts simply based on the possible injury factor alone and nothing else. OSU is getting rewarded for losing at the right time.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

I am talking with a guy in another thread about this

Nov 30, 2016, 11:10 PM

Sort of....

He thinks a 11-1 Ohio State is better than a 11-2 Penn State (if they win). But I disagree. If Ohio State finished the season 9 - 0 because they choose not to play out of conference games, is that better than being 11-1? So what about 10-0, is that better than 11-1? When does it begin to be better to play less games and have one less loss than someone else who played more? If you don't play the game, you shouldn't get treated as if you won it. Especially if that last game is against a division champ.
So a 11-1 Ohio State should already have a beginning disadvantage when compared to a 12-1 Clemson. Against a 11-2 PSU it should start even and go from there. IMHO....

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I am talking with a guy in another thread about this

Dec 1, 2016, 8:24 AM

11-1 > 11-2
12-1 > 11-1
And no team should get away with less than 12 games since that's the norm.

But the only reason PSU got an extra game in the first place is B1G doesn't care that OSU has a better record 11-1 than PSU 10-2 since they only look at conference games. Total pass on non conf games. Games like OSU beating Ok and PSU losing to Pitt.

Dec 1, 2016, 8:59 AM [ in reply to I am talking with a guy in another thread about this ]

So let's say that to compare records evenly that we give Ohio state half a win and half a loss, because we don't know if they would win or lose.

That means it would be Clemson at 12-1 and Ohio state at 11.5-1.5. So which team would you pick then? Seems like a fair comparison to me and it benefits the team that takes the risk of an extra game.

Dec 1, 2016, 9:06 AM

Why not just recognize the actual records after the extra game is played? It has the same effect:

Either Clemson 12-1 > OSU 11-1
Or Clemson 11-2 < OSU 11-1

But if you are talking like we are gonna play them anyway

Nov 30, 2016, 11:13 PM

Then yes I think we better off not playing unless you could assure no injuries. I think them seeing our plays would even out with the experience we got?

it hurts,they get to start preparing for us now,extra rest ,

Nov 30, 2016, 11:23 PM

time to heal,did it help us to have a by before Fla st. they should not be rewarded a by because they were not good enough to get to their conference championship game. never reward a team for loosing

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That game is 4 weeks off, it doesn't matter

Dec 1, 2016, 12:37 PM

Its not like a bye week where you have 1 week to prepare vs 2 weeks. It's 4 weeks vs 5 weeks. Unless it's some odd long term injury, that just happens to be over 4 weeks, it doesn't matter.

Re: Question: Does it hurt or help Clemson to play an extra game & OHst doesn't?

Dec 1, 2016, 9:07 AM

I think the CFPC should only look at the regular season if they're going to include those teams that do not play in their CC game. Otherwise those teams have a distinct advantage over any team with a better regular season record, but manage to lose the CC game.

As for benefits, those teams that play the extra game get more exposure and it probably helps recruiting for future, but that's about it as far as I can tell.

Dec 1, 2016, 9:14 AM

Problem is some teams, like PSU this year, need that game to have any shot.

That could be us one day as well. I think it's worth the risk. Also, I fully expect to leap OSU when we beat VT.

Doesn't matter, we wouldn't play them until 12/31.***

Dec 1, 2016, 9:18 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Suppose it's truly a lock for them even if they don't play..

Dec 1, 2016, 9:20 AM

conference championship game. It's actually better for them not to play the game.

No matter what, playing a game means there is a possibility that they will lose it. So, why risk it if there is nothing to gain, right?

Anyway, it's what most people think--they are a lock. But I'm not so sure about that.

Re: Suppose it's truly a lock for them even if they don't play..

Dec 1, 2016, 9:26 AM

Even if they are a lock, they could (and should if cc games go a certain way) drop into the 4 spot.

Well, the way I see it is Clemson controls

Dec 1, 2016, 9:22 AM

its own destiny. Win the game, and Clemson is playoff bound.

Ohio State, on the other hand, isn't a lock. Yes, I realize they are still ranked #2 and in all likelihood will still make the playoff, but it's not guaranteed. If Penn State and Washington win their respective games by something like 30 points, I think it will give the committee a tough decision.

Long story short, the extra game allows Clemson to punch its ticket, assuming the Tigers win.

Meanwhile, Ohio State may still have some sweating to do.

Also, side note. Clemson played an extra game than Oklahoma last year, and we all know how that turned out.

Go Tigers!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Because at the end of the game, everyone knew that they weren’t that much better than us or better than us at all."

Answer: It helps!!!

Dec 1, 2016, 12:49 PM

Our last opponent was so weak it wasn't even a good scrimmage for our Tigers. VT will be more of a challenge for us, and better prepare us for the CFP.

Replies: 15
| visibility 1,047
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic