Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I am sure this has been discussed
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 2,097

I am sure this has been discussed

Jan 20, 2021, 11:06 AM

But our Tigers are returning their entire defensive team for next year. A defense that was very good, but not great will return to try for another league championship and “final four” appearance. With a full spring and summer workouts to improve, the Tigers (and Bama) should be bad news in 2021. This was discussed this morning on the P & D show with Mr. Bourret adding that, in the past BCS seasons, the Tigers have averaged returning 5.3 players on defense. Now we have all eleven back. Add a guy named Venebles to this list and the future looks good for the D.

I think we all have confidence in the offense with the two QBs returning and some really good young tailbacks to help the veterans with the run game. Now if the guys up front can improve we should be in for an exciting year. Bring on the Dogs!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I am sure this has been discussed

Jan 20, 2021, 11:38 AM

What I think is being completely understated is that we are not only getting our starting 11 back, but we are getting 20 of our top 22 on the depth chart back for next season. This does not include Justin Foster, if he is able to return, who was not on this season's depth chart.

As we saw this season with injuries and various other reasons, defense is not played with 11 guys but there must be depth at every position to compete at an elite level.

We will not only have 11 we are comfortable with this coming season, but I am guessing we will be closer to the 26 or 27 range with guys we are happy to see on the field on the defensive side of the ball.

I'm not sure anybody has ever said that entering a college football season.

By position and assuming health and no roster changes:

At DE I expect to have 5 or 6 guys that can play at starter level.

At DT I expect to have a fairly strong 5 man rotation. 6 would be a pleasant surprise.

At LB, with a little development, I think we could have as many as 7 or 8 options able to play at a high level. That's insane to be able to say!

At CB I expect 5 or 6 guys that can play at starter level depending on position decisions.

At S, our thinnest spot, I expect to have 4 guys better than they were this season and possible position changes or new options at the position could make us feel really good here as well.

Two positions that concern me..........

Jan 20, 2021, 11:47 AM

QB depth because TP has not shown anything. And our DE depth wasn't great last year. Mascoll and Henry aren't impressive as pass rushers. XT had covid so I won't hold him responsible for last year. I like Murphy but after that we don't have a pass rusher. I miss the days of Vic Beasley being a headache for offenses. We really need another pass rusher. I hope that the freshmen bring something to the table.

Re: Two positions that concern me..........

Jan 20, 2021, 12:13 PM

I will only address DE since the OP was about defense and worrying about a backup QB in January is a waste of time.

With a healthy roster we will have Xavier Thomas, Myles Murphy, Justin Foster, KJ Henry and Justin Mascoll.

That doesn't include whether or not an incoming freshman can get in the mix.

It's funny you mention wanting a guy like Beasley since he didn't contribute to the team at all until his 4th year on campus and you are writing off Henry and Mascoll after 3 seasons, one of which had the entire offseason and developmental time wiped out.

Both of those guys are WAY far ahead of what Beasley was as a RS sophomore.

Hopefully they can continue to develop and improve the same way Vic did.

Mascoll and Henry have all of the tools.............

Jan 20, 2021, 1:52 PM

When they get off the bus they look like long, lean, killing machines. But on the field they don't rush the passer. They appear to have one move and that's it. Maybe XT or the freshman can provide quality depth.

Jan 20, 2021, 11:42 AM

I am looking forward to next season already!!! I would love to see another 320 pound defensive lineman in the rotation.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Jan 20, 2021, 12:15 PM

You will be pulling hard for Payton Page then.

He is 320 and then some!

Replies: 6
| visibility 2,097
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic