Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Mike Williams effect.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

Mike Williams effect.

Sep 6, 2016, 4:23 PM

Anyone worried that having Mike Williams back will cause Deshaun to stare him down more and be inclined to throw his way more often rather then scanning the whole field and making the right play like he did so well last year? It seemed to often Saturday night that Deshaun already knew he was going Mike's way before the ball was snapped and in return Artavis, Legget, and Cain's touches suffered.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Mike Williams effect.

Sep 6, 2016, 4:26 PM

I think that it opens up the field, really. People aren't going to be double covering him because of all of the weapons on the field. Watson is good enough to be smart about it

Sep 6, 2016, 4:27 PM

Who got a pass thrown their way besides Mike?

Ray Ray, Renfrow, Deon Cain, Artavis, and Leggett.***

Sep 6, 2016, 4:30 PM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 6, 2016, 4:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Mike Williams effect. ]

I rewatched the game everyone got a chance but only Mike capitalized outside of the TD pass to hunter Renfrom

Sep 6, 2016, 4:37 PM

How many screen passes were thrown to Scott? Usually has at least 5 a game and it was so effective for us last year. It Could also be a problem with Elliot and Scott being eager to get him touches either way I hope it doesn't hold back how dominate our offense can be this year by beating teams in several different ways.

Screens?

Sep 6, 2016, 6:14 PM

That's because we had no consistent downfield threat. It took Cain several games before he showed flashes that he could be a reliable option. We had to rely on short routes and screens. Now we don't.

#getofftheledgealready

Sep 6, 2016, 4:36 PM [ in reply to Re: Mike Williams effect. ]

Renfro, Scott, Leggett and Cain were all targeted. Renfro caught a TD and Scott caught 3 for 30 yards. Based on some questions on this board I sometimes wonder if people actually watch the game or read the articles.

Go Tigers!

So many newbies

Sep 6, 2016, 4:38 PM

So little time

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Re: So many newbies

Sep 6, 2016, 4:42 PM

Newbies? Was my point not valid? Were Scott and Leggett not targeted significantly less then they were last year. Can you think of more than maybe two catches that were thrown to a receiver that was wide open and not contested by the db. Don't get me wrong I want Mike Williams to get the ball a lot, would just rather it not be forced his way for a bunch of 50/50 balls when we have tons of other talent that are capable of getting open.

Sep 6, 2016, 6:18 PM

You don't "throw catches"

Mike was covered yet he caught the ball with regularity. The others did not when they had their chance.

There was no rhythm....for different reasons.....

AU never changed how they played Mike so DW4 kept going with what was consistently working.

It's not that complicated

Sep 6, 2016, 6:55 PM [ in reply to Re: So many newbies ]

Did you not see the Auburn DBs? They were on all our boys. The deep ball to Cain dude was step for step. Leggett had some he would have scored a TD if pass interference didn't happen. Scott got it early and often. Renfrow had some catches and a TD. If you play out best WR man to man ofcourse we are going to go to it. He caught or had a chance to catch almost every ball. They said the coaches seen in practice he gets 90% of 50/50 balls.

So you're saying Mike Williams elevating his gane had a

Sep 6, 2016, 4:39 PM

negative effect on the overall team?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Dude, just stop******

Sep 6, 2016, 4:43 PM

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 6, 2016, 4:45 PM

Mike Williams being back is only going to make the O better.
Nothing else

But, but..I too felt MWilliams was thrown to too often!

Sep 6, 2016, 4:56 PM

Hope that doesn't make me a bad guy! Just seemed that staff wanted to get it to Mike, rust & all, maybe to prove a point..he's back, he's the Man, he can get it done & will!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes... and yes.***

Sep 6, 2016, 6:12 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: But, but..I too felt MWilliams was thrown to too often!

Sep 6, 2016, 6:20 PM [ in reply to But, but..I too felt MWilliams was thrown to too often! ]

Nope. ...DW4 picks which route he throws to. There were always more than one option. Staff didn't restrict all other WRs from getting targets.

Re: But, but..I too felt MWilliams was thrown to too often!

Sep 6, 2016, 6:23 PM

If I'm QB (and thank the Lord I'm not), and the other team is leaving Mike Williams in single coverage by a guy that is 5' 9", I'd chuck it his way darn near every time too.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nope. Hope that helps***

Sep 6, 2016, 4:54 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

I am not worried for futrure games, but it did look like

Sep 6, 2016, 6:06 PM

Watson was not going through his progressions and was intent on throwing to Williams on just about every passing play. I can't believe that he was the primary receiver on practically every pass play that was called. I hope that I am wrong, but I actually wondered if our offense was not more effective last year when the ball was being spread around! Lots of ball left to play though, so we will find out.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I am not worried for futrure games, but it did look like

Sep 6, 2016, 6:42 PM

Watson or any other good qb is going to throw where he can get a completion. The staff could care less who gets the stats. When receivers create separation then they'll get their share of targets.

Re: I am not worried for futrure games, but it did look like

Sep 6, 2016, 7:16 PM [ in reply to I am not worried for futrure games, but it did look like ]

Auburn was bringing heavy pressure all night. Watson had to get the ball out quickly.

When you have an NFL starter lining up on the outside.....

Sep 6, 2016, 6:07 PM

You have a tendency to throw to him.

#####....

Sep 6, 2016, 6:31 PM

#amidoinitright?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not worried at all. Watson isn't stupid and Mike Williams

Sep 6, 2016, 9:02 PM

is a beast. He's the best WR on the team by quite some bit right now.

I think DW4 was just playing it safe by throwing to mikeW

Sep 6, 2016, 9:56 PM

Not sure he totally trusts Cain and Ray Ray with routes yet so why risk a pick ( i.e. What happened w/ Ray Ray on the route he ran) and jeopardize winning. Leggett was having a rough night mentally. He knew man2man on MWis a sure thing. So why look to someone who could possibly screw up? I think you'll see a lot of work put in over the next two games to work out kinks but last Saturday turned out to not be the time and place. It was too close.

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic