Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I am not sure how many of you remember the 1981NC season
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

I am not sure how many of you remember the 1981NC season

Sep 16, 2018, 2:15 AM

but we started slow with a decent win against a weak Wofford team even though we won 45-10. we beat Tulane the next game 13-3 , squeaked by a ranked UGA team. had an average win against an average NC State team winning 17-7. We really did not blow anybody away except Wake Forest. In fact we were not even ranked in the preseason polls. But week by week the team improved. We beat 3 ranked opponents that year. UGA, NC and Nebraska in Miami for the NC!

It’s now 2018 we are off to somewhat of a slow start by recent Clemson standards. IMO we are going to be just fine. Like the 1981 NC team this team will come together and accomplish great things this year and for the foreseeable future.

Have faith Tiger Fans Dabo said the best has yet to come. When you do get a little down think “what if I were a gamecock fan”. That should bring you back to reality.

Message was edited by: wueagle86®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Those were 3 REALLY good teams...

Sep 16, 2018, 7:29 AM

Of course everyone knows that Herschel Walker was @ defending Nat Champ Georgia...but even he couldn't overcome the 9 Ga turnovers that game. UNC was still very good - Lawrence Taylor had just graduated the year before in 1980. But man was the Nebraska team stacked - Roger Craig, Irving Fryar, Mike Rozier, Dean Steinkuhler, and Dave Rimington (of Rimington Trophy fame). Some of those guys went on to go 24-2 over the next 2 years, including one of the greatest games of all time, the 31-30 loss to Miami in 1983-4. We had a very favorable schedule that year...some easy games between some REALLY hard ones.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I am not sure how many of you remember the 1981NC season

Sep 16, 2018, 8:38 AM

trailed wofford 7-3 at the half as I recall.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remembered the 1981 season very well...I was 18. I

Sep 16, 2018, 9:02 AM

remembered how we struggled against Tulane down in Orleans. The next game with Georgia followed and the Dogs was ranked 4th I believe. Beating Georgia with our smothering Defense what spark that season. My family drove up to Kentucky game and at halftime we was down 3-0 but ended up winning 21-3.
Our offense did not put up big points....only the 82 points against Wake Forest.....much that season. Our defense and a solid kicking game is what propel Clemson to the National Championship.
Also one huge factor as well was that Penn State beat Top-ranked Pittsburgh at the end of the regular season to move us to #1 in both polls prior the Orange Bowl. If we stayed at #2 when we played Nebraska and still won there was a good chance Clemson would not have been voted unanimous National Champions because Pitt beat Georgia in the Sugar Bowl.

That was a unbelievable season seeing little ole Clemson came out of nowhere and won the NC. It still put a smile on my face today.
Go Tigers. :)

Doesn't matter...Bama is blowing their cupcakes

Sep 16, 2018, 9:05 AM

out of the water (I include you here Ole Mi$$). We're just beating ours badly. We have no chance and should just forfeit to them now in California to avoid embarrassment. Did you not see the turnovers and silly penalties yesterday! And now Saban will take the record for National Championships and Dabo will head home. We'll be just like FSU is a year or two ??

Even two years ago

Sep 16, 2018, 9:15 AM

Sep 16, 2018, 9:18 AM

Could not agree more … and I don't ever want to become a fan base like Bama where unless we win the National Championship, the season is a waste. Their head coach and fan base explode when a call goes against them or they don't make a play. Enjoy the ride! Great times for Clemson fans. We also had impending probation back then. Now we are winning on and off the field.

Sep 16, 2018, 9:27 AM

We are fine. The O will come around. The only thing we need as the season progresses is better play from the DBs. They need to be top notch for us to beat Bama.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 16, 2018, 10:05 AM

What I remember the most is the years of embarrassment that followed 1981! That problem has been solved and the Tigers have overcome a great obstacle to become one of a few elite PROGRAMS in college football. I’m convinced that our athletic department is run the right way. The successes that we have ON and OFF the field are well documented and our academics are equal to any major program in the country. Actually better than 90% of the others. If we don’t win every game I can still hold my head high every Monday morning. We are Clemson and we are better than most.

Sep 16, 2018, 10:31 AM

You misspelled 13-5 against Tulane and UGA was a little more than “a ranked George team” defending Natty with that one loss played Pitt in the Sugar Bowl still thinking they had a shot at back to back until we (and Dan Marino in the Sugar) squashed their dreams in the OB.

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic