Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I am not a CU grad, nor an SC grad....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

I am not a CU grad, nor an SC grad....

Dec 7, 2013, 3:32 PM

I am an 85 grad from The United States Military Academy at West Point. I love CFB. Was deployed to SC in 89 and have followed both State teams closely since I have lived here. My home is here and I have raised my family In SC. Have seen domination by both schools during that time. I have also witnessed massive changes in the world of CFB in this time frame, specifically the money and TV influences. I understand the intense rivalry between CU and SC, I live it today and every day with my own Army versus Navy rivalry. The one difference I observe however is that the Army and Navy rivalry is intense as hell before and during the game, maybe the most intense in the nation, but between games, we respect each other and will defend our rival versus all others at all costs. We each are solely devoted to victory over the other, but we also defend each other against all others. The CU and SC teams should do likewise, being each from the great state of SC. They should defend and rally around each other except for that rival week when they oppose one another. I see only a few on each side that take this high ground and are respectable and honorable toward their rival. I suspect these are the more highly educated ones that can see the bigger picture and have love for not only their Alma Mater but also their State and rivalry. Whenever Navy or Air Force plays any school not named Army, I am their biggest supporter, think about that. Let the children bicker, but also let the adults agree on being good sports and defending their closest rival in all but one week each year. Go Army! Beat Navy!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ummmmmm.....

Dec 7, 2013, 3:35 PM

no.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

+1.***

Dec 7, 2013, 8:13 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I support the gamecocks

Dec 7, 2013, 3:36 PM

losing every ballgame, regardless of sport, 24/7, 365 days a year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You SIR are a Sportsman & a Sport...and I concur 110%!

Dec 7, 2013, 3:39 PM

GoTiGERS!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks, Bill !***

Dec 7, 2013, 3:40 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I support the gamecocks

Dec 7, 2013, 7:21 PM [ in reply to I support the gamecocks ]

^^^^^^ THIS^^^^^

You negotiate the truce.

Dec 7, 2013, 3:38 PM

Start by ridding this board of cool trolls and you'll garner some Clemson support.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I am not a CU grad, nor an SC grad....

Dec 7, 2013, 3:40 PM

Having served, I see where you are coming from a little bit, but there is a lot of respect between Army and Navy. When we go to war, we all go together, and we all respect each other even though there is a rivalry. The Army/Navy rivalry is built on respect.

The Clemson/SCAR rivalry is built upon hatred. They tried their ####dest down there in Columbia to ensure Clemson wasn't even allowed to exist. I don't remember why that was, but I bet it had to do with funding. The two rivalries couldn't be more different.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Military Academies are a bit different, don't you think?***

Dec 7, 2013, 3:44 PM

Re: Military Academies are a bit different, don't you think?***

Dec 7, 2013, 3:55 PM

I believe that the spirit of the rivalry between two opponents that have a common bond and are both from a common source should be strong. They should have that undisputed desire to excell versus each other when they meet on the fields of friendly strife, but they should also each have each others back else wise.

Not feeling it.

Dec 7, 2013, 3:48 PM

In a 27 year AF career, I learned academy guys had no grasp of what a college is.

Re: Not feeling it.

Dec 7, 2013, 3:58 PM

> In a 27 year AF career, I learned academy guys had no
> grasp of what a colleg

Really?

Really

Dec 7, 2013, 4:22 PM

The standard reply from an ROTC grad when asked if he went to the zoo was, "No, I have a college education."

:)

Army vs Navy = Gentlemen's duel.

Dec 7, 2013, 3:57 PM

Clemson vs gamecocks = blood sport/street and bar anything goes fight.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 7, 2013, 4:11 PM

The rivalry between the military schools is more like a contest between brothers, you can pull together because you will face a common foe. In a conflict against a common foe, I have no doubt we (both schools) would and have put our rivalry aside. However with out that common purpose, I don't see it happening.

Would it be nice that we had a "friendly" rivalry? Maybe, but don't hold your breath.

After Clemson fans pelt usuck's players with stuff thrown

Dec 7, 2013, 5:01 PM

from the stands in next year's game, we'll discuss chickentech's ideas of a "friendly" rivalry

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 7, 2013, 4:26 PM

You are absolutely right, of course! Unfortunately, that probably won't make a difference to most Clemson or Carolina fans, because they not only live vicariously through their teams, but actually base their own self-worth on the performance of those teams. They take it so personally when their football team loses, so they spend all kinds of energy making excuses, alibis, and explanations to salve their own self-image. Most fans who have never really played sports, on a competitive level, can't begin to understand the mutual respect between foes.

Dude, NO. This is a clash of cultures

Dec 7, 2013, 4:28 PM

nm

Sir, the key to your post was, "I was deployed to SC..."

Dec 7, 2013, 5:05 PM

Unless you were born here you never truly understand.

With respect, I would suggest you don't understand the...

Dec 7, 2013, 5:22 PM

...rivalry.

To understand the history from the beginning you'd have to see what has transpired in the past.

The riot of 1902. It wasn’t the game so much, but the aftermath of South Carolina’s mundane 12-6 win in Columbia. A group of approximately 400 Clemson cadets were mocked during a military parade in Columbia that night. The cadets marched on the South Carolina campus with swords and fixed bayonets, only to be met at the Sumter Street entrance by South Carolina students with handguns and rifles. No one was seriously injured, but the football series was suspended until 1909.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The staunch defense of the 1st amendment

Dec 7, 2013, 5:31 PM

A draw I believe. Garnet view some may not share.

Dec 7, 2013, 6:45 PM

I have been on an academic team before and have been, and all in all, rivalries don't mean that much in the end. It's just another game but with more hype. I learned that in my time on Academic team that rivalries can get way out of hand quicky. I was so frustrated when the middle school I went to put out and shoved propaganda down our throats by mandatory pep rallies (7th/8th grade only) and these people would talk trash/bad about my middle school's arch rival. It was middle school for crying out loud, and in K-12 school, you are assigned to a school. Yes i know you pick from every college that wants you but still- I've had enough with rivalry junk. Besides, how good a football team is based on subjective, not objective reasoning. I have lost games badly before or lost bigger games. These are athletes; nobody is perfect as we are all human. Anything can happen any given game and a ton of winning is based on luck; not skill. Food for thought.

NFL- Green Bay Packers
NCAA- Michigan and Michigan State (formerly Clemson)
MLB- New York Yankees

eff the coots***

Dec 7, 2013, 6:52 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WP85, you have way too much sense to be on this board.***

Dec 7, 2013, 7:00 PM

WP85, surprisingly you might find there is actually more

Dec 7, 2013, 7:15 PM

civility between alumni and fans of both schools than is evidenced on message boards.

Most of us have family members, lifelong friends, neighbors, co-workers, fellow members of churches, associations and organizations who support CU or SC, and we simply don't allow the rivalry to spoil our good relationships.

Now, that doesn't mean that Clemson or Gamecock folks are going to dash off to buy and wear each other's colors, and we will surely pull for each other's opponents, but that's the nature of the rivalry...and what makes a rivalry fun.

You ladies and gentlemen at the service academies are uniquely stationed in your status as future military officers, and you are expected to conduct yourselves with honor, dignity and respect for your fellow service members. As civilians, we don't have that requirement. We do, however, have a moral requirement to nurture those we love and to treat others as we would wish to be treated. And that is what fosters the relationships most of us have with our Clemson or South Carolina families, friends and associates.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: WP85, surprisingly you might find there is actually more

Dec 7, 2013, 7:27 PM

Well spoken, and well said.

if our rival were either army or navy would agree

Dec 7, 2013, 7:18 PM

however......ummm.... no

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 7, 2013, 7:28 PM

There may only be a handful of fan bases that know how we truly feel regarding the hatred of the other team. Perhaps, Bama/ Auburn, OSU/Michigan and Yankees/Redsox, Duke/Carolina(bball)

I hate all things gamecocks and have never or will never pull for them in anything- PERIOD.

First of all...

Dec 7, 2013, 7:35 PM

First of all, thanks you for your service to this country.
2nd, what you say makes since, but I have tried before to "take the high road' only to be slammed by my Gamecock brethern. They take no breaks from putting down Clemson every chance they get, even when we beat them. They never give us credit when we do well (for example when Clemson beat heavly favored #3 FSU in 2003, all Gamecock fans could say is Bobby Bowden let Tommy win to save his job) This has been going on for as long as I can remember.
But you, sir, do make a good point. Wish it could be that way.

Re: First of all...

Dec 7, 2013, 8:12 PM

Amongst some, it should be this way. Those who are above the petty differences and wish to be respectful to one another. Both schools should be proud to be in SC, a great State that has a rich history. Neither should ever disparage this State, it is one of the original colonies and has always been in the fore front of the nation's history. Both SCand CU should be proud of their heritage.

Re: First of all...

Dec 7, 2013, 8:23 PM

And they should have each others back except for one week every year. They are brothers, though few see this.

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic