Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My four picks for the CFB playoffs and explanations
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1,002

My four picks for the CFB playoffs and explanations

Dec 7, 2014, 12:42 AM

My prediction for the 4 playoff teams are #1 Alabama, #2 Oregon, #3 FSU, #4 Ohio State.

I think that there could possibly be a small chance if the committee decides that they want to see a sexy BAMA-FSU matchup, then they could possibly put FSU at #4 just to create that matchup, but FSU shouldn't be ranked that low as an undefeated teams.

Regardless of whether FSU ends up #3 or #4, I think that Ohio State will move up to #4 on the strength of their 59-0 win over Wisconsin. Wisconsin had the #2 defense in the nation allowing less than 1 yard per game more than Clemson, and the Buckeyes were able to score 59 with their 3rd string QB after Braxton Miller and J.T. Barrett who are out for the season. The Badgers also had a very prolific rushing offense led by Heisman hopeful Melvin Gordon, but they were shutdown and held to only 258 total yards with 71 yards on the ground.

I think that Ohio State legitimately deserves the #4 ranking, but there are also some behind the scenes reasons that the committee might pick them over previously #3 TCU. The two Big 12 teams that were widely considered to be co-champions (before the commissioner apparently made statements suggesting that they would only choose one conference champion), TCU and Baylor, both finished the season 11-1. They played 7 games against the same opponents and also played head-to-head. Baylor beat TCU in their head-to-head matchup, but before this weekend, TCU was #3 and Baylor was #6 because of TCU's prior victory of previously 1 loss #9 Kansas State and Baylor having a worse loss with West Virginia beating them. Now that Baylor has beaten Kansas State as well, their strength of schedule looks better and they have the strength of their head-to-head win over TCU. Ergo, Baylor should move ahead of TCU.

Regardless of whether the committee were to pick TCU or Baylor, there would be a huge amount of criticism either way. If they chose TCU over Baylor to be in the playoffs it would be despite both teams having the same records and Baylor beating TCU. If they pick Baylor over TCU that would mean that TCU would have to drop at least two spots following a 52 point victory today over Iowa State. They would be open to a ton of criticism no matter which choice they made. They would almost have to put Baylor ahead of TCU now that they have both beaten KSU because Baylor beat TCU, but it would be unfair to OSU to get jumped by Baylor following their 59-0 win over Wisconsin.

The only way for the committee to avoid a huge amount of criticism and negative media scrutiny is for them to leave out both Baylor and TCU in favor of Ohio State. They would still have to deal with a ton of angry TCU fans after dropping them multiple spots following their huge victory and other Big 12 fans who think their conference deserves a spot over a much weaker Big Ten conference. I still think that would pale in comparison to the criticism they would get by making the choice between Baylor and TCU.

It doesn't seem completely ethical for them to consider possible negative reactions when choosing the 4 playoff teams, but just because it could be portrayed that way, I think they will absolutely consider all of these factors behind closed doors. They could justify the tOSU pick based on the win over Wisconsin and say that having to pick between the two Big 12 teams had nothing to do with their decision.

I would be very surprised to see anything other than Alabama, Oregon, FSU, and Ohio State tomorrow evening.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My four picks for the CFB playoffs and explanations

Dec 7, 2014, 1:11 AM

I agree - ohio st sold me tonight

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

I agree with your reasoning, and like I said in another post

Dec 7, 2014, 1:29 AM

The committee painted themselves into a corner by ranking TCU 3rd this past week. They are almost lucky that OhSt was so impressive tonight. At least now they have a somewhat logical reason to bump OhSt over TCU & Baylor.

I also agree with your statement that the committee may want a FSU-Bama matchup in the semifinal. Besides the attractive matchup you mentioned, they don't want the possibility of this matchup in the final, because it would mean an all southeast championship game. If they jump OhSt all the way to #3, it will confirm that thought, though they would never admit it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I agree with your reasoning, and like I said in another post

Dec 7, 2014, 1:54 AM

Yeah, with a committee of so few members that have weekly meetings together to discuss their rankings, I think that is very likely that there are some ethically questionable motivations coming into play. They could pick Ohio State primarily to eliminate the need to choose between TCU and Baylor but justify it for other reasons. They could also rank the top 4 in whatever order they want to create specific matchups. They could put FSU at #4 to play Bama for a better geographical matchup that also puts two of the most storied programs pitted against one another. They could try to justify FSU at #4 based on the fact that FSU has supposedly struggled in many of their games this year and hasn't looked as impressive. They already had them at #4 before this weekend despite the fact that they were undefeated and the 3 teams ahead of them all had 1 loss.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I agree with your reasoning, and like I said in another post

Dec 7, 2014, 3:55 AM

when a committee of human beings meets secretly every week to make decisions for anything involving a multi billion dollar industry, there will always be ethical questions raised. But I would still rather have actual people who have the ability to take things into account that a computer cannot (Ex: injuries, suspended players, the "eye test", etc)

But like i said, anytime a group of individuals controls the fate of another, questions will be raised about the motives

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 4
| visibility 1,002
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic