Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I agree with Dabo 110%
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

I agree with Dabo 110%

Nov 25, 2018, 11:44 PM

I read the article about a win feeling like a loss and other teams would carve up Clemson's defenses like a Christmas turkey.
That is like comparing apples to oranges. I am glad the shamecocks gave BV something to work on before the playoffs in a 21 point defeat. Do we forget what Clemson football was like before Dabo and his coaching staff came to Clemson?
This is indeed shameful.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You agree he needs to leave? That's what he said.***

Nov 25, 2018, 11:52 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If the fan base is unable to fully enjoy the win over the

Nov 26, 2018, 12:04 AM

coots and fully embrace where this program is right now, then yes he should leave.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

In that case, he has to make good on his threat. Fans will

Nov 26, 2018, 1:01 AM

continue to make unreasonable statements, especially minutes after Jake "I've never done anything in my whole life" Bentley went off for 500 yards. Fans are going to talk, and Dabo's rant was about the reported comments of one (1) fan.

Saban went off on the Alabama students, but he didn't threaten to leave over it, for the obvious reasons. Students are gonna student, and that doesn't mean they don't love Saban, and his million-dollar-per-month checks will keep clearing. IE, Saban knows he is supported and he's bigger than what students do. Which is actually - and I can't believe I am saying this about Saban - humbleness. When you dont think you are so big that people have to show up and talk nice or you quit, that's humbleness.

So a fan said it didn't feel like a win. Well, at the time, really - and you have to admit this - it sort of didn't. You didn't like seeing them get 600 yards on 'the world's greatest college defense ever" either, especially when one of said defense is making Heisman poses: one gets Heismans for getting 600 yards, not giving them up. The difference between you, me and the guy who got quoted is that David Hood wasn't standing next to you and me.

But we're ecstatic with the program, we're ecstatic with Dabo, and we're ecstatic with our people and our team, and most of that is independent of W-L. 24 hours after we're saying "what the hell?" about watching Bentley throw bombs against that donut defense we are totally over it. But Dabo can't let that go. He said that if fans say those things he's going to quit. And in case we misunderstood what he said, he said, "Print that." Got it.

So the OP says he agrees with Dabo. Well, fans are always going to say stuff like that. They do everywhere. So I'm asking if he agrees with Dabo that he needs to quit.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good Lawd. Dabo was responding to specific reports

Nov 26, 2018, 9:42 AM

and articles regarding a specific segment of our fan base. He knows it's not representative of the entire fan base, and he's not going anywhere. He's just pointing out how absurd it is. If the overall fan base did turn that way, then he should leave; I wouldn't blame him one bit.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Good Lawd. Fans are gonna talk. You dont threaten

Nov 26, 2018, 10:15 AM

to quit over it.

Out of 60,000+ Clemson fans in the stadium who watched the re-enactment of the arial bombardment of Ft Sumter, one of them is likely to say it didnt feel like a win. One person in 60,000 is likely to say any proposed stupid thing. You dont make threats over that.

His comments were reasonable and understandable.

Nov 26, 2018, 10:38 AM

Some folks are making a huge deal over nothing.

- H. L. Mencken

Re: You agree he needs to leave? That's what he said.***

Nov 26, 2018, 12:23 AM [ in reply to You agree he needs to leave? That's what he said.*** ]

I think he said if you think a 21 point win feels like a loss then what else do you want? If you are not happy with winning then he should leave. That is what I got out of his statement. Maybe you got something else.

Yes, I did. I upvoted both you and Smiling, because I of

Nov 26, 2018, 1:16 AM

course I agree with your take on fan reaction, as I do with most of what you two write.

But yes, I heard something different. He was reacting to what one, uno, fan was reported to have said. Or at least he quoted the reported comments of one fan. But it doesn't matter whether it was one or a hundfred: fans are going to talk like that. They just are. And as unfortunate as that is, the silver lining for Dabo, which he has perhaps forgotten, is that this unreasonable reaction is what funds his salary of more-in-a-month-than-most-people-make-in-ten-years. If fans weren't that way we wouldn't pay 5 figures for the right to pay 4 figures for tickets. So a guy who is smart enough to coach football should be smart enough to know that going in. Its the deal you sign onto.

No, he didn't sign on to being disrespected for doing a good job. That isn't happening. He is the most universally loved coach by his fan base in football. And he is paid like it. So he has all the objecive reasons to know that no one is unhappy with him over one game's performance, or even the season's W-L. He is smart enough, and should be mature enough, to know that.

But a fan says that watching a guy like Bentely throw from-here-to-Easley on a defense that is doing Heisman poses makes it feel like 'not a win'. Okay, maybe that was not the best thing to say. But everyone knows that is not what is being said 24 hours later, and does not reflect what people think about the program. But he takes that statement and says maybe he should leave. Yes, that is what I got out of it. In case I didn't get it he said, "Print that". So, I got it.

Re: Yes, I did. I upvoted both you and Smiling, because I of

Nov 26, 2018, 3:09 AM

I agree with what Charles Barkley said a few years ago, "20% of sports fans need to be killed"

LOL......I don't know about being "killed," but perhaps

Nov 26, 2018, 5:31 AM

put on buses going nowhere for an eternity!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I agree with Dabo 110%

Nov 26, 2018, 6:26 AM

Sounds to me like a reporter who may have made up the report, or the fan may have had to much to drink. What it boils down to is accountability in media . Sometimes you don’t write a story that is helpful to the process. And was one fans perspective. I didn’t feel like it was a loss. Not at any point. I understood that they were throwing the kitchen sink at us and we’re having the game of their lives. Our D hadn’t seen the plays and formations. But we still beat them by 21 points. Our defense is not exposed, or figured out. They had to move and react . I think this whole thing should be dropped. And the reporter should apologize to Dabo to his face.
GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 26, 2018, 8:56 AM

I agree.

Nov 26, 2018, 10:22 AM

The way I interpreted his response was this: if the norm becomes not being satisfied with a "large enough" win, then maybe it is time for him to move on. Not that he would move on because of a few unreasonable fans. At least that is how I processed his remarks.....still wish he hadn't made them, though.

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic