Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Concerns...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

Concerns...

Oct 8, 2017, 4:06 PM

I didn't expect WF to be an easy out, and they weren't. That said, we played "everybody" and got some good game experience. Make no mistake, the game was never in doubt past the 6 minute mark of the 1st quarter. Our offense was so "plain vanilla" it was funny... we're not showing anything.

Concerns:

Penalties: I thought the officiating was set to keep the game as close as possible. Two or three of Ray-Ray's punt returns were called back due to penalties, which probably cost us at least 7 points. One of the penalties was really funny-- a block in the back against the defender's chest. Really?

Play calling: Please "forget" whatever page in the playbook the "bubble screen" resides on. I'm not calling out Tony of Jeff for calling it, but guys: IT DOESN't WORK. You've got a linebacker pushing Hunter Renfrow back into the pass... DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT. Early in the game, you gave them a wrinkle where the receiver stepped over the line of scrimmage, and actually gained yardage. This play will cost us a pick-six before the season is over. I thought Hunter Johnson had thrown one, but his strong arm was the difference. Can we get a little imagination and throw a hitch-and-go off this play? I know, we're saving it...

I'm happy with the play of so many players. It will reap rewards deep into the season...

Go Tigers==> Squeeze the Orange!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I thought the same on some of the

Oct 8, 2017, 4:09 PM

Penalties. ACC memo from the home office?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I thought the same on some of the

Oct 8, 2017, 4:23 PM

Sometimes I wonder how we can be 6 and 0 and ranked number 1 or 2!

Fire somebody

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree 100% about the screens.

Oct 8, 2017, 4:23 PM

They rarely work, and the best case scenario seems to be that our receiver catches a tough pass in traffic and gets tackled immediately. Unfortunately, as you stated, the risk is very high for an injury or a pick 6.

I don't understand why we seemed to have abandoned short to intermediate throws over the middle. Very few slant routes, post routes, and throws to the tight end. Perhaps it is due to how teams are playing us, but it seems that 95% of our passes this year are bombs downfield or screen passes.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: I agree 100% about the screens.

Oct 8, 2017, 4:27 PM

In my eyes the WR screen helped build momentum in the NC game. Cain took one for 30 yards and the offense never looked back. It also sets up a lot of plays with the action. We need to throw a couple each game to create explosive plays later in the season when we really need them.

Re: I agree 100% about the screens.

Oct 8, 2017, 4:29 PM

The better the downfield blocking the more succcesful that play will be. I think that we were better at that last season,

Going back a ways, we've had Jaron Brown, Charone Peake

Oct 8, 2017, 6:20 PM

Mike Williams ( and sometimes Artavis Scott) blocking on those. Cain and Renfrow just aren't quite at that level blocking.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Concerns...

Oct 8, 2017, 4:36 PM

I was concerned with the lack of targeting calls against players hitting Ray Ray. I saw at least 2nthatbshouldbhave been reviewed.

One on Hunter, too.***

Oct 8, 2017, 6:20 PM

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 8, 2017, 6:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Concerns... ]

You do realize it wasn't Clemson so therefore no targeting calls to be made. Had the same tackling been Clemson, the targeting call would have been made.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 8, 2017, 6:17 PM

I agree. We spread the offense and mixed up our play calling early on and they couldn't stop us. So we went away from what worked and called plays that were conservative just because we have them in the playbook. Best offense is to keep the defense guessing and we did none of that after 1st qtr. The middle was open all day and we seldom went there, going sideline to sideline when we have speed down the field. We have too much talent not to take advantage of it. Why are we not using tight end more and backs out of the backfield plus the wheel route. Let's do this! Go Tigers!

Oct 8, 2017, 6:41 PM

Open up the offense.

You do realize...

Oct 8, 2017, 6:33 PM

The screen game is necessary to open up the inside runs?

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic