Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Let's be honest people
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

Let's be honest people

Nov 11, 2012, 7:41 AM

Blinders off and taking S Car out of the equation, SEC football is dang good to watch and most of us on here know it. Yes it isd beaten down our throats and there are some very good Big 12, 10 and Pac 10 teams also. Looking yesterday at the product the ACC has out there, besides us, FSU and a schizo NC State team, the ACC is pretty abysmal. The question is, what has to happen for the ACC to improve the product? Better recruiting? Is it facilities? Academics too tough? This is just an honest discussion

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well.... IMO

Nov 11, 2012, 7:48 AM

Facilities are important but I just think the other schools lack the proper leadership, cept for a couple schools.

I mean, if the programs we have start to climb , the ACC has the horses to compete with the SEC. But right now, some of our elite programs are a bit down . I don't see them staying down however. I just see this as temporary. In 8 yrs, this could all b different.

apathy! too many acc schools just don't care about football

Nov 11, 2012, 7:49 AM

start with the lack of support from admin, fans, etc.add in a touch of academics, a pinch of league image (some kids want to play in the sec(?))a dab of lack of high profile head coaches, and a few other odds and ends, and you have the recipe for the makings of the below average acc football teams.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Let's be honest people

Nov 11, 2012, 7:52 AM

It is all about the fans. Large amounts of people willing to spend money and demand excellence is required for ACC schools to pull themselves up. If no one cares how good football is at a chosen school, why would the admin? It all starts with the fans.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ditto

Nov 11, 2012, 8:01 AM

Nm

I actually don't find SEC football all that enjoyable to

Nov 11, 2012, 7:56 AM

watch. It seems to drag compared to other conferences. Mostly traditional playcalling.

I appreciate the talent and dedication that the upper tier SEC teams have but the style of football isn't fun to watch.

Kinda; like mens tennis. They may be better players, but the ladies are more fun to watch because the ball slows down and the volleys last longer.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: I actually don't find SEC football all that enjoyable to

Nov 11, 2012, 8:12 AM

Comparing ACC football to ladies tennis? Wow, and double wow

I don't want to cast stones at our fellow ACC members,

Nov 11, 2012, 8:03 AM

because we've generally known for quite a while where priorities lie. Secondly, it wasn't that long ago that FSU, Miami and VT were the toasts of the party, so-to-speak...remember, it took us 20 years to win the ACC crown again. Think: 20 years to recapture the ACC crown! Since our BOT and administration seem to have wedded us to the ACC, then I believe we have to consider that any organization/association is only successful if its members contribute to that success with diligence. We can be competitors, but we can, also, encourage each other and support each other, especially when playing OOC. That doesn't mean we have to become cheerleaders for other members, but rather strong supporters for our conference to the extent that the members will strive for excellence through renewed dedication. Some will always remain lower-tier; but we have quite a number with national championships on their resumes over the years that I believe need to reevaluate their commitments and help the conference regain credibility.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't want to cast stones at our fellow ACC members,

Nov 11, 2012, 8:11 AM

It's money, plain and simple. The SEC has a great package with the biggest sports network (ESPN) in the land. ESPN will always tout the SEC as the greatest conference because that's where they spent the most money. They want the SEC to be successful because they are roped into showing so many SEC games a year. Now that gives the individual SEC schools more money to spend on advertising, facilities, recruiting, etc. Furthermore, all the football players at home on Saturday watching these SEC teams play (because more of there games get on TV than other games)are all soaking up this SEC speed crap, SEC great conference crap, etc. Well what do we expect to happen? Great recruits often choose the SEC teams because of what they hear and see...all founded by...money from ESPN.

I don't doubt nor dispute anything you're saying; however,

Nov 11, 2012, 8:17 AM

I do know that people across the land will watch games involving schools with highly successful records regardless of affiliations. And players are often attracted to those successful schools simply because they want to be be associated with success.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 11, 2012, 8:07 AM

Honest discussion !Ok.
Academics are tough,but most of the better schools won't lower their academic standards.Clemson definitly won't.
UNC/Duke will allways be basketball schools first.Forget any major improvememts on the football side of the equation.
Miami,and FSU both need to get better to take some of the luster from the Gators.Recruiting yes,and Miami need to clean up their image.Edsel will make Maryland better.Bad string of injuries this season would hurt even most SEC schools.Ga.Tech is too much one demenisional,and once Clemson can figure out a way to beat them in Atlanta,we will allways struggle on the road.Johnson had better get his act together.Good win yesterday at UNC.
You can't take S Car out of the equation.They will beat most of the middle of the pack SEC teams,and probably most of the ACC teams outside of FSU/Clemson.They are a good home team,not a good road team.
Final thought.Sec football is the best right now.Six straight NC 's prove that.But even the best can be defeated.Saw that yesterday in Tuscaloosa,and look what has happened to Auburn.
The ACC will be ok.They just need to start taking care of business when they get into a BCS Bowl scenario.A 2-13 record just won't cut it.

Culture change.

Nov 11, 2012, 8:08 AM

The schools in NC have zero football culture. They talk basketball 24/7. As much as I would hate to see it, if UNC or NC State could win the conference, it might spark some life into the conference.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

UNC made a big push to change the football culture

Nov 11, 2012, 8:26 AM

with Davis and you see where that got them.;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They tried, wrong guy hired. If UNC had succeeded

Nov 11, 2012, 9:15 AM

It would have raised the bar at NC State and both Virginia schools. Personally, I would rather the ACC suck, than for UNC to excel, but It would improve the football prominence of the ACC if UNC were better

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here's some honesty for ya..............

Nov 11, 2012, 8:09 AM

Since when do we play a "conference" on Saturday afternoons??? We don't. We play a team.

Are we responsible for how good or bad the rest of the Atlantic Coast Conference teams are in football??? No. We have absolutely NO control over other programs nor the emphasis other schools place on their football programs.

Have you watched games between Missouri and Kentucky recently?? How about Vanderbilt and Kentucky?? How about Auburn and Arkansas???

In all honesty--as you enjoy putting it---the SEC has plenty of bad and mediocre teams. AND, as some have long proclaimed, their top teams arent' as good as SEC fans and ESPN want us to believe. In all honesty, Alabama should have two losses and be close to out of consideration for even a BCS bowl. Georgia is a fraud. Florida should've lost to ULa-La yesterday and HONESTLY should've lost another game to barely Div1 school.

Message was edited by: tigrjm76®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How can you honestly say that ?

Nov 11, 2012, 8:17 AM

More honesty; you're generalizing with orange glasses on.

I'm sick of the SEC as much as anyone. SICK OF IT.

FACT: the last SIX national champs from SEC

FAST: Top 10 has FIVE SEC teams.

They've earned it.

What is to question ? seriously.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here's how I can honestly say that..........

Nov 11, 2012, 8:36 AM

Auburn, Kentucky, Missouri, Vanderbilt, Ol' Miss, Arkansas & Tennessee don't even qualify as "mediocre" IMO.

Have you watched Georgia or Florida play this season??? If you don't think Clemson could beat either of those two, you don't know as much football as you think

You sound like a freakin' coot regurgitating the same old crap---last 6 NC's--5 in the Top 10, etc, etc. But lets look at this rationally. Those "5 in the Top 10" were pre-season ranked pretty high.....who have they beaten outside their conference??? Alabama beat a mediocre Michigan team and LSU beat a mediocre Washington team....neither Michigan nor Washington even figure into the race for their respective conference leads.

They've beaten a bunch of cupcakes (in some cases, nearly lost to them) and their losses have come to other SEC teams--who, because of their high pre-season rankings, have managed to retain their Top 10 ranking. Its circuitous logic---they're good because the preseason pollsters say they're good, they don't play anybody outside their conference to speak of and after losing to each other---they're still good

Do you think usuck could beat Notre Dame on a neutral field??? Do you think UGa could beat KState ANYWHERE???

I don't look at this whole conference BS the way you folks do who've been brainwashed by a bunch of chicken fans. A team stands on its own merits. Skru all this conference crap.

And when the new BCS standings come out later today, let me know how many SEC teams are in the Top 3

Message was edited by: tigrjm76®

Re: Here's how I can honestly say that..........

Nov 11, 2012, 9:35 AM

You talk about OOC schedule.

How's the ACC's OOC schedule?

Better yet - How is the ACC's BCS record?

Who was the last ACC team to win a BCS game? I can't remember since its been so long.

Honestly?

The ACC champion has been tooled by the BIG East the last few years.

Honestly?

ACC football is laughed at across the nation. The Big 10, Big 12, PAC 10, SEC, and Big East are all looked upon as better football conferences.

Lets hope that FSU can play with Louisville this year in the Orange Bowl.

yawn......chickentrolls are so boring***

Nov 11, 2012, 11:23 AM

Agree, Tigrjm. Well said...

Nov 11, 2012, 10:52 AM [ in reply to Here's how I can honestly say that.......... ]

They have 5 or 6 teams ordained Top 10 teams before the season even gets going. Those teams take care of beating the putrid rest of the SEC (the teams you named at the beginning), and those top teams just take turns beating each other which really doesn't make any of them fall all that far, which in turn when the remaining teams from other conferences lose, they all fall back in line again. There is no way on God's green Earth Georgia is the fourth or fifth best team in the nation, or Florida up there that far. It is a joke.

Re: Here's some honesty for ya..............

Nov 11, 2012, 8:18 AM [ in reply to Here's some honesty for ya.............. ]

I admit I'd probably watch Arkansas v. Auburn before Duke v. Wake.

I agree mostly. The SEC's on the field product is great

Nov 11, 2012, 8:24 AM

but the crowds, big stadiums, pageantry, tradition, etc are where it really gets a leg up on other conferences.

The ACC just has too many private schools with small alumni bases. Still, who knew VT, GT, and State's programs would do a nosedive this year, and that Miami would fall as far as they have.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I agree mostly. The SEC's on the field product is great

Nov 11, 2012, 8:25 AM

so why has VT and GT fallen?

?***

Nov 11, 2012, 8:27 AM

Re: I agree mostly. The SEC's on the field product is great

Nov 11, 2012, 11:36 AM [ in reply to I agree mostly. The SEC's on the field product is great ]

the ACC really only has 3 programs (Clemson, VaTech, FSU) were the school/alumni base is willing to truly commit the money and resources necessary to compete at a high level nationally. The SEC has closer to 8 or 9 teams.

Meh. SEC pumpers can't see clearly

Nov 11, 2012, 8:29 AM

The UVA/Miami game was pretty darn fun to watch.

GT actually produced some offense.

ACC isn't that unentertaining to watch.

SEC defensive slugfests are no more fun to watch than high scoring shootout, IMO.

ACC = basketball conf***

Nov 11, 2012, 8:33 AM

Re: ACC = Academics matter and Daddy Defense doesnt work***

Nov 11, 2012, 10:38 AM

Nov 11, 2012, 9:08 AM

I agree. Just sucks we don't get a shot at more teams in the SEC. It's easy for our guys to get "up" for games like that (Not so easy in our conference).

Re: Here's some honesty for ya..............

Nov 11, 2012, 9:22 AM

Points x10, finally somebody sees what I see, and no the SEC is boring to watch! Try going to a SEC game, it's not what they make it out as!

Nov 11, 2012, 9:42 AM

The first step would be to fire swofford.

Then, and only then, can we get a commissioner that might not place so much emphasis on basketball. We need one that cares about football.

Facilities? chit. Have you ever looked at dook, wake, etc and think you're watching a high school game. That will not change anytime soon. SEC schools have facilities that dwarf all ACC schools except for FSU and CLEMSON. That would take years and money that schools don't have.

Fanbase? chit. SEC schools have HUGE fanbases, and they travel well. Have you watched any Miami games this year? They're playing decent football, and they get crowds smaller than most high schools.

The ACC is NOT going to change in our lifetime - or at least in mine. So if you don't just love basketball, you're stuck watching CLEMSON destroy the other ACC schools in football. Oh wait...

Nov 11, 2012, 11:38 AM

well Clemson is already ahead of the SEC...as far as the ACC IDK...Alabama and LSU are all the SEC have...oh yeah and a new kid on the block in TAMU who has everything they have without ANY SEC influences...LOL

Nov 11, 2012, 12:38 PM

I couldn't give 2 dog turds about SEC football. couldn't even tell you the last game I watched.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic