Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I Sincerely Hope
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

I Sincerely Hope

Jan 17, 2019, 8:20 PM

That the 5 plus billion cash infusion can save Sears. I will be the first to admit that Sears has made some poor decisions. The younger generation may not understand the feelings of the older generations for Sears and Roebuck as it was once known.

We use to look forward to receiving the big thick catalog and spending days thumbing through it and just looking in amazement. The catalog contained all that one could desire. Most of the clothes I wore were mail-ordered out of the catalog. I saved all of my money from picking up pecans for a penny a pound and picking cotton for a penny a pound for two years to buy my first 22 single shot J C Higgins rifle in 1955.

Sears and Roebuck was a part of my life for many years and things that you cherish are hard to let go of. I hope you understand now why I hope Sears can survive.

Message was edited by: Purple Gunstock 15®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If only

Jan 17, 2019, 8:22 PM

They had wanted to survive as much as you wanted them to. Once this internet fad ends, it’ll be smooth sailing for them and all malls in general.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

evolve or die.. it's like a marketing case study gone wrong***

Jan 17, 2019, 8:46 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Once this internet fad ends"..... Old person alert!

Jan 18, 2019, 9:05 AM [ in reply to If only ]

Somebody let this man know that the internet is not a fad.

Snowflake Basher........Out

Re: "Once this internet fad ends"..... Old person alert!

Jan 18, 2019, 9:11 AM

Can someone please explain to my friend here what sarcasm is?

meter broken***

Jan 18, 2019, 9:37 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I Sincerely Hope

Jan 17, 2019, 8:34 PM

my son's been working for them part-time since last may.his last day will be the 25th.his store won't be saved .

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jan 17, 2019, 8:44 PM

Sorry to hear about your boy, I hope things work out to the good for him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 17, 2019, 9:20 PM

not a tragedy.he's just biding time 'til he can get back into grad school.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jan 17, 2019, 8:38 PM

I like to go to sears on my lunch break and fall asleep on their comfy couches in the home entertainment section. I just flip over to the discovery channel while i eat my lunch and doze off. The best part is that I there is a zero percent chance that a sales associate will even bother to ask me if I need any help or wake me up.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 17, 2019, 10:05 PM

Retail is dead. There will be no comeback, not to what it once was anyway. Toys R Us, Blockbuster and many many others failed to evolve. I work in the Marketing and Digital Media space and I see businesses failing every day because they are still grasping on to old methods that are no longer working. They are spending their marketing dollars in all the wrong places.

I spent more time in the women's underwear section than...

Jan 18, 2019, 5:28 AM

on anything else. When the newness of those catalogs wore off it would go to the outhouse for other uses. I mean that was the one place my family didn't rudely interrupt a kid.

Sears is dead. Everything Sears sold was built in America. You got what you paid for too. Now you can go anywhere and buy Sear's junk 'quality,' products for a lot cheaper.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 18, 2019, 8:47 AM

Flipping through that catalog was then what browsing items on Amazon is today.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

my first job as a 16 year old was at Sears

Jan 18, 2019, 9:13 AM

it sucks Craftsman tools were bought by Lowes. Craftsman + Sears were like Sunny and Cher...or something like that.

Funny story, I worked at opening a Lowe's one summer

Jan 18, 2019, 9:40 AM

and we were using Craftsman tools to assemble the racks. When we bent a wrench, the boss sent us over to Sears to get a new one.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 18, 2019, 9:23 AM

I too grew up with Sears and Roebuck in Greenville. It was always a treat when dad took us to Sears. Dad worked on cars and used a lot of Craftsman tools, which Sears was the ONLY source I think. I still have a lot of those old tools that my dad bought at Sears 60 years ago.

But the sad thing is - many of us knew that when Sears threw a boat anchor to K-Mart, that BOTH would sink and it was just a matter of time. Sears never really changed enough to compete, especially for women (sorry to generalize, but I think it is more true than anyone wants to believe).

I too love my tools, and my garage is full of tools from Sears. But I'm old, and I'm not sure the newer generations buy the same things that I grew up wanting to obtain. At 68, I still do most light maintenance (filters, brakes, install backup camera, replace head-units, etc) and change my own oil in my truck, and repair everything that breaks. I guess without Sears, my life would possibly have been a little different.

They have already closed my local Sears, but honestly, I almost never went there simply because they had nothing that I needed. It was a rarity to go there.

Didn;t Craftsman tools already jump ship?

Jan 18, 2019, 9:38 AM

Their stores are awkwardly placed. Hardware at a Mall? Clothes in a hardware and appliance store?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic