Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

YOUR BALANCE
Hype is coming Tigers. How do you handle it? 2 years ago
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Hype is coming Tigers. How do you handle it? 2 years ago

Jan 13, 2015, 11:39 AM

against FSU, with the crowd jacked sky high, and the cameras of the nation on you--we had an epic collapse in Death Valley.

We will be ranked high this year. Perhaps the highest we have been since 1981. Lots of people will talk about us. We have some big-time epic match ups at home and on the road.

How do you handle it? How do you stay hungry when everyone thinks you are great or everyone can't see how you could ever lose? Tiger fans are notorious (me included) of thinking there is no way you can lose that one-- and then down you go. So how do you avoid it--no matter if people think you are good or not so good? How do you find the path to winning them all? How do you handle what is in front of you.

Weighty questions. Exciting times. Would you have it any other way?

GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message was edited by: AThomas®

Message was edited by: AThomas®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hype is coming Tigers. How do you handle it? 2 years ago

Jan 13, 2015, 11:41 AM

One game at a time sweet Dabo one game at a time.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

POINT,

Jan 13, 2015, 11:42 AM

but it's not hype this time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Trust me-eSECpn will hype teams until the cows come home.***

Jan 13, 2015, 11:44 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good post.

Jan 13, 2015, 11:43 AM

Coaches should put that FSU game from 2 years ago on loop. Play that game everywhere in the locker room. Remind the team they were ranked #8 and favored heading into that game. A constant reminder that one bad week can derail a season.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Excellent Point

Jan 13, 2015, 11:44 AM

I'm confident that we have learned from our mistakes in regards to this issue. After all, we have not obtained our goals.

Re: Excellent Point

Jan 13, 2015, 12:13 PM

CU has a history of not handling it well

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Some programs exceed at handling it well-Bama is one I am

Jan 13, 2015, 12:17 PM

thinking of, FSU, Ohio State, even Auburn.

We have to learn this to stay at the top--it is one of the secrets of the very elite teams IMHO.

GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

No, we were ranked in the top 5 preseason a couple

Jan 13, 2015, 12:19 PM

of times in the 80's. We have been ranked several other times in the top 10. We won't start out next year much above where we are now due to losing so many players on D.

Re: No, we were ranked in the top 5 preseason a couple

Jan 13, 2015, 12:25 PM

Yea I am not exactly understanding where he is getting all this "hype" from...We will honestly be lucky to be in the top 15 pre-season...I honestly don't want to be ranked high...I would rather us be in the 20-25 range and have to earn it...The schedule is definitely in our favor next season to make a run...Need to take care of it

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Already ranked by eSECpn, CBS, and a Chicago newspaper

Jan 13, 2015, 12:30 PM

number 9, number 11, and number 2 in the nation for 2015. Will see more I think. I would rather lay low too but we will be out there this year and ranked higher than usual. 2012 we got hyped a lot. I expect the same this year during pre-season

Re: Already ranked by eSECpn, CBS, and a Chicago newspaper

Jan 13, 2015, 12:36 PM

Im just not keen on painting the target on our back before the first snap of the season...Its going to be hard enough that we will be favored to win the ACC this season...

I remember in 2012 when we got up to #3...Its like people wanted to throw spears at Clemson...I remember the media hyping up everything as Clemson on possible "upset alert" versus Syracuse, Maryland, and Virginia...I think the Boston College game too... I know we ended up destroying those teams but it was still nerve racking to say the least...

My objective, win our conference first and see where we are at the time for the playoff hype...First thing is first, we MUST knock off FSU...this 3 in a row is getting ridiculous...

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Hopefully we learned from our mistakes in past

Jan 13, 2015, 1:18 PM

The Games we lost the last few years were mostly due to turnovers. Also, other than this past season, it has takin a while for us to get a good defense on the field. It usually takes a few years
for a coach to get the players he wants to run his system and develop. I think we are at the point now that Coach V has the players he wants so i believe we will continue to see our defense playing at a high level as long as BV is here. Another thing to note is that even though we had good recruiting classes the last few years, we have missed on the offensive and defensive lines. Sure we had a great defensive line this year but that had more to do with player development than recruiting. With the class that's coming in, i believe we will now see better play on the offensive line. If BV and the rest of the defensive coaches develop 4 or 5 star kids like they did with 3 star kids then i think we will consistently see dominant defensive lines. Just gotta do the same with the offensive line

weren't we ranked #3 at some point during Dantzler's era?***

Jan 13, 2015, 12:21 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: weren't we ranked #3 at some point during Dantzler's era?***

Jan 13, 2015, 1:31 PM

I think we were 9-0 then lost at home to GT :(

I was at that game.

Followed it up with a beat down against FSU and ended the year with a beat down against a Mike Vick lead VT team.

null

Jan 13, 2015, 12:31 PM

We are often frustrated from what we call "lack of respect", but it sure is easier to focus on winning when no one expects you to! Lot different when it's expected,... can we get ready even for that? That's probably the main difference from a perennial top 15 team and a perennial top 5 team!

Jan 13, 2015, 12:37 PM

In 2008 we had hype then got steamrolled by Bama to start the season.

Jan 13, 2015, 3:05 PM

Excellent point. You can have your own opinion but you can't have your own facts. History has shown that Clemson does not handle hype very well at all. Hence the term that we all hate so much.

Play the games one at the time. Limit players access to media and interviews and try to instill and maintain the Grady Jarret work ethic. Then it won't matter, we'll be able to do what we do without regard for the talking heads.

the tigers have to play with a chip . . .

Jan 13, 2015, 4:06 PM

(or briquettes) on their shoulders.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic