Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hunter Johnson vs. Zerrick Cooper
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 4,080

Hunter Johnson vs. Zerrick Cooper

Oct 15, 2017, 9:53 AM

Someone please tell me one thing Cooper can do better than Johnson. By his own admission Cooper only runs when he has to. Anybody who has watched can clearly see there is no comparison when it comes to throwing. Screw how they looked in the winter. Play the one who is best now and get off this playing not to lose ########.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've got two theories...

Oct 15, 2017, 9:58 AM

First, the coaches see what we don't. May be something happening in practice.

Second, and more doubtful because I believe our coaches are more concerned about winning now, but would a successful true freshman QB hamper our recruitment with Trevor Lawrence?

Regardless, be prepared for transfers if Lawrence comes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I've got two theories...

Oct 15, 2017, 10:04 AM

TL has stated he would not come to Clemson if he did not expect to compete against other good QB's. Also, what is the difference being good with HJ for 3 years or TL if HJ were to turn out to be that good.

I think we would have a little more confidence in "what are coaches are seeing in practice" if it were not for the DW debacle as a freshman.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DW debacle?

Oct 15, 2017, 10:09 AM

DW was the better choice, but the same reason the Texans didn't start him from day one is probably the same reason we didn't start him from day one. Coaches want young guys to have sucess early for their psyche. You don't want to send a freshman to the wolves if there is someone who has some experience in front of him. DW is a special person.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: DW debacle?

Oct 15, 2017, 10:41 AM

I think a lot of what you said makes sense, but our next game as I count will be #8. I hope we can get everything sorted out in the next two weeks.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

To continue with your first supposition...

Oct 15, 2017, 11:00 AM [ in reply to I've got two theories... ]

Perhaps Johnson can't handle the playbook as well as Cooper now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would rather play a QB who can run 5 plays really well

Oct 15, 2017, 12:13 PM

over a QB who runs more plays at a mediocre level.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: I've got two theories...

Oct 15, 2017, 11:38 AM [ in reply to I've got two theories... ]

The coaches started a guy that couldn’t run across the Field after two series...... then left him in. Why didn’t they see this?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Re: Hunter Johnson vs. Zerrick Cooper

Oct 15, 2017, 10:46 AM

This is completely and totally reckless speculation, but what if ZC is highly respected in the locker room? I understand you can't have the inmates running the asylum, so to speak, but it would be a tricky spot.

Again, this is just random SPECULATION.

Oct 15, 2017, 10:49 AM

I agree we should have gave HJ a chance but ZC did not play horrible and we act like HI is so good because of one drive.

I don't think anyone here knows Hunter Johnson is amazing.

Oct 15, 2017, 12:15 PM

But we can't help but wonder, based on how he has played in games so far. The point is, why not play him and see? Especially since Zerrick Cooper has certainly struggled.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

yes - you are a smart man **

Oct 21, 2017, 9:24 PM

nm

Oct 21, 2017, 9:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Hunter Johnson vs. Zerrick Cooper ]

I disagree. Cooper was horrible.

Oct 15, 2017, 11:00 AM

based on a very small sample size ZC appears to be better than HJ at looking tentative, indecisive, and ineffective at leading the offense

Playbook?***

Oct 15, 2017, 11:01 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Playbook?***

Oct 15, 2017, 11:24 AM

Play book should be a breeze to learn based on the plays called so far this year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 15, 2017, 12:04 PM

If I were Hunter Johnson, and the coaches won't play me after watching that debacle on Friday night, then I would go ahead and plan to transfer to some team that actually recognizes my talent. JMO - but wow - just wow. Either way - I will cheer for Hunter Johnson wherever he gets to play NEXT YEAR.

And Cooper is NOT our answer. Good grief.

I agree. It doesn't inspire much confidence in our coaches

Oct 15, 2017, 1:00 PM

when it comes to QB play. They preferred an injured Kelly Bryant over a healthy backup, and then they continued to play Zerrick Cooper even though he made some significant errors. This is also being viewed in light of the fact that they were arguably too slow to play Deshaun when it was clear he was better than Stoudt.

It is easy to play Monday morning quarterback, and hindsight is always 20/20, but my frustration is not that they started Bryant, but that they weren't even willing to try someone else until forced to do so. My frustration is not that they chose to put in Cooper, but that they didn't even give Johnson a try when Cooper wasn't doing great.

Maybe Johnson wasn't ready to come in against Syracuse, but they wouldn't know that for sure unless they let him play. If he had come in and performed worse than Cooper, I would've been fine with them going back to Cooper. But to not even give him a chance, despite lackluster results from Cooper, is beyond frustrating.

Re: I agree. It doesn't inspire much confidence in our coaches

Oct 15, 2017, 1:07 PM

It feels like it has to be a long term play with Lawrence. Bryants has the most experience and may know the playbook the best but he's a run dominant QB and if he has a bad ankle the effective playbook is cut in half already. From the limited playtime we've seen Johnson seems at least as comfortable as Cooper and seems like he gets through his progressions faster and has a faster release. The batted ball on Friday down the left side was telegraphed the whole time, and the wild misses stopped our drives.

Of course its possible Dabo was just mad about the hill and trolled all the fans Friday...(Sarcasm)

Replies: 18
| visibility 4,080
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic