Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: WATCH: Bryant putting in work on 'mechanical' issues throwing
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

TNET: WATCH: Bryant putting in work on 'mechanical' issues throwing

Nov 13, 2017, 2:50 PM

WATCH: Bryant putting in work on 'mechanical' issues throwing

Clemson starting quarterback Kelly Bryant spoke to the media on Monday recapping the win over Florida State. Bryant shared during the interview that he is worki Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hunter Johnson doesn't have mechanical issues.

Nov 13, 2017, 2:52 PM

- TNet Coaches

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hunter Johnson doesn't have mechanical issues.

Nov 13, 2017, 4:33 PM

That's just it, we really don't know but it'd be nice to find out what he DOES have in a game when it matters.

No slight to Kelly, he may just be off that particular day, and I'm certainly not advocating switching QB's. According to the coaches, it should be no different than swapping out receivers and swapping out running backs. ETN had ojt and that's turned out pretty darn good.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There are two schools of though that I'm aware of now.

Nov 13, 2017, 4:44 PM

You presented one so I'll suggest another. KB is a first year starter and we are prepping him for the playoff. Which one would you choose?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 13, 2017, 5:33 PM [ in reply to Re: Hunter Johnson doesn't have mechanical issues. ]

I'm sorry, but OJT for a QB can be much more devastating than for a RB, case and point see the Syracuse game. Prior to that people were clamoring for Cooper to play as well.

QB is the toughest position for a true freshman to get PT at due to the speed and complexity of college defenses compared to high school ones. Now I'm not saying that HJ couldn't do it, but from what some others have said his high school didn't play the top competition, and aside from that I don't want him to undergo some OJT while we're in the middle of our playoff push.

Nov 13, 2017, 7:21 PM [ in reply to Re: Hunter Johnson doesn't have mechanical issues. ]

No DISRESPECT to KELLY BRYANT or the coaching staff but isn't that what spring practice and fall camp is for to work on the throwing mechanics and other such things as to when to hand off and when to keep the ball it's kind of late in the season to be talking about mechanics and why didn't KELLY BRYANT attend any of the quarterbacks camps this summer I mean really i know the coaches had to know he couldn't throw well hell we as fans knew it I mean even JALEN HURTS of ALABAMA worked on his throwing and you can tell he is not the best passer yet but he looks much much better ESPECIALLY on his deep balls KELLY BRYANT can't pass no more than 12 yards we have no deep or vertical passing game and it messes up the running game not only that we need to run our running backs him being a quarterback he runs too much GOD forbid we ever truly get down and need our passing game to get back In it we may as well call it a loss I HATE TO SAY IT BUT IT'S TRUE

Nov 13, 2017, 7:30 PM

siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh

Nov 13, 2017, 8:25 PM [ in reply to Re: Hunter Johnson doesn't have mechanical issues. ]

JuanPaw , no disrespect ... but where have you been ? Are you All In ? If not now , then when ? Kelly Bryant is on the mend , and with him we are 1 loss and 9 wins !
Get on this train and let's go do it again ...everybody support these young Clemson men !

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Nov 14, 2017, 12:02 AM [ in reply to Re: Hunter Johnson doesn't have mechanical issues. ]

No Disrespect but Juanpaw are you rambling or bunny hopping?

Nov 13, 2017, 7:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Hunter Johnson doesn't have mechanical issues. ]

No DISRESPECT to KELLY BRYANT or the coaching staff but isn't that what spring practice and fall camp is for to work on the throwing mechanics and other such things as to when to hand off and when to keep the ball it's kind of late in the season to be talking about mechanics and why didn't KELLY BRYANT attend any of the quarterbacks camps this summer I mean really i know the coaches had to know he couldn't throw well hell we as fans knew it I mean even JALEN HURTS of ALABAMA worked on his throwing and you can tell he is not the best passer yet but he looks much much better ESPECIALLY on his deep balls KELLY BRYANT can't pass no more than 12 yards we have no deep or vertical passing game and it messes up the running game not only that we need to run our running backs him being a quarterback he runs too much GOD forbid we ever truly get down and need our passing game to get back In it we may as well call it a loss I HATE TO SAY IT BUT IT'S TRUE

Nov 13, 2017, 7:25 PM [ in reply to Re: Hunter Johnson doesn't have mechanical issues. ]

> That's just it, we really don't know but it'd be nice
> to find out what he DOES have in a game when it
> matters.
>
> No slight to Kelly, he may just be off that
> particular day, and I'm certainly not advocating
> switching QB's. According to the coaches, it should
> be no different than swapping out receivers and
> swapping out running backs. ETN had ojt and that's
> turned out pretty darn good.

Nov 13, 2017, 5:18 PM [ in reply to Hunter Johnson doesn't have mechanical issues. ]

hunter johnson played last week when we were running out the clock and ran out of bounds twice resulting in the clock stopping! He ain't ready.....

1st HJ run was outside 2-minute mark so it didn't stop clock

Nov 13, 2017, 6:44 PM

Hunter Johnson was smart to run out of bounds to save his body outside the 2 minute mark because the game clock kept running anyway.

HJ's 2nd run out-of-bounds was inside the 2-minute mark but big deal. Kelly Bryant made the same mistake earlier but Dabo didn't take a delay-of-game penalty to chew out Bryant. If Dabo wanted run-out the clock so badly, he could have just put HJ in the victory formation to take a knee. I thought the point was to get HJ some reps in a game where the opponent couldn't possibly come back. I'd much rather see him run out of bounds and take another snap.

Nov 13, 2017, 7:36 PM [ in reply to Hunter Johnson doesn't have mechanical issues. ]

Lol!! Nice touch there at the end!

I hope it's a crash coarse!

Nov 13, 2017, 3:01 PM

You can do it KB...practice makes perfect.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: WATCH: Bryant putting in work on 'mechanical' issues throwing

Nov 13, 2017, 4:47 PM

For opposing teams sake, they better hope he doesn't figure it out. Because that is the only thing preventing us from hanging 40+ on teams on a weakly basis. If Bryant finds a rhythm and the D gets back to full health(which they should be by the coot game)....its going to be trouble for the rest of the country.

"IF" he figures out the deep Ball!

Nov 13, 2017, 7:02 PM

I agree w/you. If Kelly Bryant gets some better accuracy on the deep ball and some of those over the middle; forget about it! Teams won't be able to stack the box in any way shape or form!
I am not one to criticize the play calling. And, still won't! Other than to say, "they would be well served to remember Chad Morris/Art Briles philosophy w/regard to deep shots"! You have to take a few a game as a matter of GP. Hit them or not; you scare a DC to death especially if you hit it or come close to hitting it. He doesn't send that safety to the box so quick. You may even get some underneath stuff b/c the CB are looking to bale early. To me: we haven't taken enough for him to get confidence in the deep ball during games! With Ray Ray and Deon speed "just ask them to blow by the coverage at least twice a qtr"! If and "when" they get separation it will dictate some of the rest of the play calling! Plays Kelly has shown he is more comfortable making!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "IF" he figures out the deep Ball!

Nov 13, 2017, 7:10 PM

I have to add! I know Scott and Elliott have put their own identity on this offense. They have done great and as a Tigers fans: " I am so happy they are on our side"! No knock on them at all! Just one irrelevant fans opinion.
1. we aren't using tempo enough. worked pretty good to mess up our stout defense for Cuse. W/less talented players nonetheless!
2. key philosophy missing is the "deep shot"! Did I say deep connection, no. Take deep shots even if you miss them; you give the defense something they must account for. They are taught never let anyone get behind you.

It opens everything else Elliott and Scott like to do. Yeah, we have to pass it and catch it better! No doubt! Anyone see the post pattern wide open where KB did not even throw it? I could live with not hitting it; but geez give those playmakers an opportunity why don't ya, LOL!
We'll be alright! We will have to hit some of those and some tight window throws in order to beat the better defenses though. Think back to the Tajh Boyd pass versus LSU over the middle. Just dynamic. And, a plethora of passes by DW4. He will have to have confidence to let it fly and let it fly with conviction!

Brian Grise Said Same Thing

Nov 13, 2017, 7:16 PM

The announcer during the FSU game, Brian Grise, had the same concerns about KB as many of us. No need for anyone to get mad about stating the obvious.

There is nothing to 'figure out.'

Nov 13, 2017, 7:34 PM [ in reply to Re: "IF" he figures out the deep Ball! ]

He had a deep ball to rival or even surpass DW in some folks eyes. That was before the injury to his ankle. He learned to throw a pass to a moving target from many years of practice and building muscle memory. The ankle made it necessary to compensate for some loss of power in his stride leg by altering another part of the throwing mechanism.

My guess is he is working on his release point.

1 The uptempo hasn't been necessary and will be a hole card if we get in need of an extra to win a game. Imo, it will take an opponent which drives the ball down the field on us and uses a lot of clock which threatens the stamina of our defense. Other than that the only reason to use it is to blow opponents out. That won't bring our fast offense out. It's not for show.

2. I fully agree, taking a deep shot rattles opponent's nerves because they respect our WRs. It's not as good as hitting one but it's second best and that ain't bad. KB almost always overthrows those passes which is just one of the two bad things that can happen when you throw the ball. Right?

My preference is to keep opponent's defenses on the field 11 yards at a time. We haven't had much stress on our defense this season. None much that Dabo hasn't manufactured by playing backups in critical downs. Using clock with long methodical drives will protect our defense and partially compensate for those who can control the clock a bit.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: There is nothing to 'figure out.'

Nov 13, 2017, 8:17 PM

Loved this post! One of the best I have seen on here! Often people take stances but can't tell you why! You did. Good job!
Yeah, if your right, let's hope he re-learns his mechanics really quickly! We will need it moving forward.
I definitely agree we have started playing back ups far too soon! As much as a playoff committee or AP or Coaches say it does not matter: "putting up points" and margin of victory matters. Sad, but true!
As for if we need up-tempo. Well, all I can say is, what I said earlier! It has the ability to confuse defenses. They don't get on the same page and some will be in zone some in man(seen it). Some stimming some stunting! Most DL after a while..............gasping for breath! If you have LB's who don't recognize formations well...............it really works well. Especially, if they aren't use to changing the defense. I guess if it's in our back pocket as a " break in case of emergency" thing, cool!
The QB for Mississippi St. only had 158 yards passing on 13-24 attempts. The leading rusher for them had 97 yards. IF Alabama is the most elite defense there is..........Yes, I know they are banged up............still mostly on defense and Saban wakes up and trips over a 5 star defensive player. In other words; all we need from whoever plays QB is to keep them dang chains moving! I don't care if he rolls it with his belly........keep the chains moving! I have faith in the coaching staff they will rep Mr. Bryant to the point it's like breathing on those long balls!
And of course agree with you on taking some deep shots downfield! We have gotten away from it too much in my opinion. And, methodically using every portion of the football field.........which is another Mike Leach......Art Briles philosophy! Make the defense have to cover every blade of grass! AS an offensive player you have the advantage b/c the defense has to "react"!

Re: There is nothing to 'figure out.'

Nov 13, 2017, 10:15 PM [ in reply to There is nothing to 'figure out.' ]

ClemsonTiger1988 has been explaining this in detail in multiple threads. It is all in his pressure he puts back on that ankle in motion to throw. At least that's what I am understanding and can see the connection.

Nov 13, 2017, 9:30 PM

Brandon streeter neefs to be fired. A lot of yall may not agree but, think about deshaun watson never got better from year. Kelly has gotten worse over the year. Streeter needs to go .

Nov 13, 2017, 9:47 PM

Streeter is a fine coach! Quiet worker behind the scenes and gets the job done. I would suggest your comment is way off base.

Go Tigers!

Nov 13, 2017, 10:02 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: WATCH: Bryant putting in work on 'mechanical' issues throwing ]

The most ridiculous comment of the year award...you’ve got to be kiddin’

sofartotheleft needs to go...coot!***

Nov 13, 2017, 11:05 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: WATCH: Bryant putting in work on 'mechanical' issues throwing ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 13, 2017, 10:20 PM

Mechanical issues! Is he a QB or a used car?

Nov 13, 2017, 10:29 PM

Check it out, good stuff

http://www.authorityfootball.com/x-and-o-labs-and-the-quarterback-mechanic/

Go Tigers!!

Nov 13, 2017, 11:09 PM

So we're starting this after TEN GAMES? Good grief.

BTW: Not that it matters, but does KB use the laces to grip the ball yet? He did not do that in the spring. Not saying that it would help, but a lot of really good passers use the laces. Just a thought.

Nov 16, 2017, 1:01 PM

Well it's just getting worse by the game. Not even averaging a throwing TD per game. Less then 2k passing and 7TD 5INT - ZERO TD's in the 4th qtr passing wise. Nobody who actually watches and knows football can't argue against KB struggling with throwing. It's beyond obvious when WR have to stop mid route to come back to the football be its 10 yards overthrown. It's embracing sometimes how off his passes are.

Brandon Streeter is a great coach and a major part of the reason we have Trevor Lawrence coming next season.

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic