Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A fair X's and O's type look at our offense by OSU
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

A fair X's and O's type look at our offense by OSU

Dec 28, 2013, 2:11 PM

fansite. He's right about how teams have been effective at causing Boyd to make mistakes. The question is whether Morris will plan against it. Will he push the run game harder for example, so we don't have to rely on a 3rd and 5+ yards pass situation?

Or will he be more creative on 1st and 2nd knowing the weaknesses of OSUs secondary?

One thing's for sure - if as this guy suggests OSU decides to go for more man coverage against the likes of Watkins and Bryant and Williams, I think our speed wins out a lot of the time.

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/2013/12/31280/orange-bowl-prep-defending-the-clemson-tiger-offense

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This game is on Tajh's shoulders

Dec 28, 2013, 2:20 PM

The scheme is usually fine. It is the QB play that varies. If we have LSU Tajh they have no chance.

Tajh was pretty unrattled versus UGA too. But I suspect

Dec 28, 2013, 2:25 PM

Morris will shake things up a little as well. We'll see.

Playing us in M2M with their secondary is...unwise

Dec 28, 2013, 2:56 PM

Their back 4 is garbage. If they play us straight up then we'll light them up. They better hope they can get pressure on Tajh is they are to have any hope of having success with that gameplan.

Calling their back 4 isn't exactly correct

Dec 28, 2013, 3:20 PM

Bradley Roby has had a subpar season, but is a possible 1st round pick. He'll have a lot to play for going up against Watkins. A lot of their problems have been in zone and due to confusion. A lot of heat on their DC late in the year. This is Ohio STate though, they have top flight talent. In all honesty, just letting their guys play, might be their best (although not great) option.

What does "just letting their guys play" really mean???***

Dec 28, 2013, 3:42 PM

Calling their back 4 garbage I meant****

Dec 28, 2013, 3:21 PM

Roby is a safety right?

Dec 28, 2013, 3:26 PM

nm

Cornerback***

Dec 28, 2013, 3:36 PM

Hump was so wide open on that fumble in the 4th (the gif)!

Dec 28, 2013, 3:39 PM

The ref was the closest one to him; he would have gotten
well inside the 20. Guess Tajh got worried when he saw
the blitz coming and took off. Oh well, it's always a
game of inches and "what ifs" and it's always easier said
than done and hindsight is 20/20, etc.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hump was not the primary read

Dec 28, 2013, 3:41 PM

Which generally means he is invisible to Boyd. Same thing on our 4th and forever play against LSU. Hump was wide open but Boyd still threw it to a double covered Nuk. Thankfully, Nuk is a stud and it takes more than 2 LSU players to stop him.

But if you see a blitz coming, don't you check down quickly

Dec 28, 2013, 3:59 PM

to a shorter route? Love Tajh and nobody's perfect, but
sometimes he took off too quickly trying to avoid a sack
and make a play. He didn't have to do it all by himself.
But like I said before, it's always easier said than done
and the pressure was coming fast.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nuk wasn't Tajh's first read on that play

Dec 29, 2013, 7:34 AM [ in reply to Hump was not the primary read ]

According to the players it was going to go to Brandon Ford. However Ford said that the coverage would leave a small void for Nuk if they ran a certain play. Tajh waited for the safety to turn his head and then threw to a spot. Nuk got there and made the play on it.

Re: Hump was not the primary read

Dec 29, 2013, 9:43 AM [ in reply to Hump was not the primary read ]

Nobody was on Hump presnap. When you see the slot defender cheating to blitz you make the slot receiver your primary read. I love Boyd, but these are reads that he failed to make all year. I'm not saying we have anybody else who would do better but it was frustrating at times.

Not trying to use an overly complicated

Dec 28, 2013, 3:48 PM

Scheme.

Re: A fair X's and O's type look at our offense by OSU

Dec 28, 2013, 4:36 PM

My biggest problem with analyst is that they analyze the last game the teams have played. The biggest question that should be raised: How effective will the run game be and how many times does Morris go to it? The most effective drive of the Carolina game is when we ran more than we threw the ball.

I will say this, and I agree with Northern Tiger, Michigan threw the ball all over the Big House when OSU went man. If you do that against this team, that 20 points you are looking to keep them under will come in quarter 1.

Oh and a side note...One of their fans suggest that their offense will put up 50+ on our defense. I don't think it is feasible. You see even in the loss to South Carolina and Florida State, it wasn't that their running games were killing us. It was we gave their offenses extra opportunities. And I see their offense being more like Boston College plus a good QB and okay wide receivers. I will leave you with these numbers 94, 121, 140. The number of rush yards given up to BC, FSU, and South Carolina. Don't bring that stuff about how great Miller and Hyde are at running the ball.

Miller and especially Hyde are a slightly different breed

Dec 28, 2013, 8:28 PM

than Davis, Gurley, Williams (BC), and Shaw that we've seen this season. FSU simply didn't need to run the ball. Our coverage allowed them all the air options they needed.

Hyde is a lot like Willams to me.

Dec 29, 2013, 7:36 AM

Miller is a better runner then any we've seen but I don't think he's any better a passer then Shaw is to be honest.

Hyde looks more powerful in clips I've seen. And it has

Dec 29, 2013, 9:14 AM

been harder to hold him back this season. He started of slow but gets over 100 yards per game mostly. Even against MichSt.

turnovers is why we lost both games,what can Morris do to

Dec 29, 2013, 9:57 AM [ in reply to Re: A fair X's and O's type look at our offense by OSU ]

to prevent them, OSU will trying to cause them for sure,& we will loose if they are succeed

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: turnovers is why we lost both games,what can Morris do to

Dec 29, 2013, 11:11 AM

Dabo stated that the Tigers lost the turnover battle against
Fl. St. and USuck. I don't won't the Tigers play H.U.B against the Nuts. H.U.B [Head Up Bu**].

Nothing is more fundamental in FB than ball protection.

Dec 29, 2013, 11:14 AM [ in reply to turnovers is why we lost both games,what can Morris do to ]

There shouldn't be any question about what Morris needs to do.

Dadgum, on Tajh's fumble, Humphries was wide open from the

Dec 29, 2013, 9:55 AM

get go.

The link described, in a technical way, how

Dec 29, 2013, 9:57 AM

our offensive line could not protect Boyd long enough to allow our receivers to get separation in the secondary. It's still just football.

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic