Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How my morning started yesterday
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 5,522

How my morning started yesterday

Mar 17, 2020, 9:02 AM
IMG_8086.jpg(84.5 K)

Disclaimer: This is long, feel free to ignore

After taking call at our level 2 trauma center Sunday, being awakened at 6:15 a.m. to come in and reduce a dislocated total hip, rounding on our groups' patients in the hospital, fielding several calls from the floor through the afternoon, coming in that evening to care for a woman transferred in from a smaller hospital in Clayton with a broken hip, then performing a total hip replacement on a gentleman with a hip fracture dislocation from a motor vehicle collision I found myself at 200 a.m. Monday morning in a negative pressure room, draining the knee of a man with sepsis and a respiratory illness who had just been tested for Covid-19 in the now famous N95 mask. I arrived home at 300 a.m., showered thoroughly before climbing into bed, then arose 3 hours later to begin my morning routine, round, and head to the office.

I post this from talking with my colleagues in the ER who also recognize the regular workload of medical illnesses and injuries will not significantly slow down. Our medical systems are already operating at relatively high utilization so this additional burden will be added atop that and will strain our system even further. That doesn't consider the fact that medical personnel, despite their precautions, are at higher exposure risk and run the risk of having to remove themselves from patient care at the time we need them most. I am even able to post at this time on Tuesday because our facility has followed the Surgeon General and American College of Surgeons requests to postpone non urgent cases at inpatient facilities to preserve medical resources, protective equipment, and inpatient capacity. For the first time in over a decade, I'm not operating Tuesday morning. This is not a hoax or an attempt by some group to advance an agenda. Northern Italy has similar economics and health care availability to our own country and was forced to make difficult medical decisions due to limited resources versus a surge in cases.

I see this from all directions. I have college student children now at home, one of whom will not be able to present her senior project or have a graduation ceremony. I have a 91 year old mother-in-law in town who needs to be protected from exposure. I have employees to help scramble for child care (and helped cover the cost) since school is cancelled. We are postponing elective surgery and non urgent office visits which are the revenue stream of our business. We have 800 employees, so I need whatever bill passes to include businesses over 500 employees.

To wrap up, please pray for those affected, whether through illness or the crucial attempts to slow the spread. Be thoughtful of measures both privately and governmentally to relieve the potentially devastating effects on our economy and workers. Continue to do those small gestures to make things better for others. Do your part to limit the spread. Don't stockpile stupid items (although Georgia Pacific here is ramping up TP production). Wash your hands. I hope in two weeks many of you (including my own mother) are able to say this was an overreaction and I was wrong. I would counter that if we don't take these measures, and I am correct, the result will be unnecessary damage to human health and loss of lives, which seems far worse.

Stay at home, enjoy your unexpected down time, catch up with others by phone, get those home projects caught up, or in my case study earlier than planned for recertification. Limit your contacts. Don't end up seeing me in an N95 mask with an 18 gauge needle coming toward your knee :)

(Before I get feedback, this was taken after removal of a portion of my PPE just to show the N95 and face shield, and despite my efforts TNet rotates the picture)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How my morning started yesterday

Mar 17, 2020, 9:14 AM

Thank you so much. I really appreciate your post and the work that you do!

Mar 17, 2020, 4:14 PM

Lets keep this post at the top so everyone will see it. Certainly deserves POTD.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 17, 2020, 9:22 AM

And yet you still found time for this public service statement.
Your workload wore me out just by reading about it. Please take time to take care of yourself. We(our nation) cannot afford to lose the service that you and others like you are providing during this extended stressful time!
Blessings for all and by the way....I'm digging those purple scrubs! ??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 17, 2020, 10:27 AM

Well said as always ZG.

Like everyone thank you for your service doc. Deserves the POTD.... Digging those purple scrubs too.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks for taking the time - hopefully you gave MANY

Mar 17, 2020, 9:40 AM

a pause (Paws) to consider this isn't about THEMSELVES, per se - it is about their community and not being an opportunity for this thing to spread to the point of overwhelming our medical community with folks that REALLY need the help.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Mar 17, 2020, 9:49 AM

Bless you for all that you do to help everyone. Although I am definitely suffering from cabin fever, I am staying home. I order groceries online and do without other services...cancelled my hair appointment, eye appointment, etc. I am 63 and my husband is 66, both in fairly good health. I hope others will do the same so we can get through this sooner rather than later.

Mar 17, 2020, 10:55 AM

Thank you for your service and for your "wake up" advice we dare not avoid. At 98+, age alone puts me in the vulnerable group, otherwise, I have no serious health problems. Common sense tells me to follow the recommendations of the experts and common sense tells me each one of us should do all in our power to avoid being an infected carrier.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 17, 2020, 11:37 AM

It's funny every time I discuss how stressful my job was to my cardiologist. I usually stop mid-stream when I realize who I am talking to, and apologize for even thinking that MY job was stressful relative to the guy that has saved my life more than once. I totally appreciate the work that doctors and nurses do, especially now that I've gotten older and need them so often. Having worked in 4 hospitals over the past 30+ years before retiring, I have experienced some amazing feats from the doctors and their staff.

Mar 17, 2020, 11:50 AM

I know the last reason you would have written this is to pat yourself on the back ....... but I will. Thank you and all our other healthcare professionals for what you do and have done for many many years. Compensation for you and other doctors in very good and I don't begrudge a dime of what you make as I would not trade places with you for the twice the pay. It is a professional that transcends pay, as money can't buy the sacrifice and dedication you and othyers make to keep us healthy. Thank you again!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 17, 2020, 1:49 PM

I have a relatively small independent physical therapy practice. If trends continue (like orthos not operating) it may well put us out of business.

I don’t think I will enjoy any “unexpected down time”. I have to figure out who gets laid off first and how I can possibly pay the power bill without any patients...

Mar 17, 2020, 1:59 PM

Any exclusions in your property insurance policy that would limit/exclude business interruption or contingent BI due to pandemic or infectious disease?

Mar 17, 2020, 2:14 PM

According to my agent, no. Thanks for the thought though.

Wow, sounds like you have a really Hip practice going on.

Mar 17, 2020, 3:59 PM

Got to maintain a sense of humerus about these things, or awl is lost.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 17, 2020, 5:54 PM

Geez,
Thought I was Stressed. Thankfully there are you’s out there helping make lives better and or longer!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 17, 2020, 7:57 PM

Thank you for what you do and trying to explain to some of us what this is all about.

It is a tough time for all but most of us seem to have it better than a lot of people in other places. We need to keep all of the first responders, Dr.'s and Medical care personnel in our prayers along with the families that are being impacted by this virus. I know the numbers seem reasonable for most of us at this time but put yourself in the place of the ones dying and their loved ones and our minor inconveniences seem pretty petty at this time.

Mar 17, 2020, 10:19 PM

Thanks for all the kind words. As an update our hospital (along with most neighboring facilities) has curtailed all non emergent surgeries at least through the end of the month.

I’ve dialed in to attend by phone to more meetings in the past five days than I have in my first 48 years. Kind of nice to spread pine straw while “attending” a meeting regarding HHS relaxing regulations on “video” visits so we can conduct them by non-HIPAA compliant means such as FaceTime.

It would be helpful if the stimulus bill would raise the cap to 1000 employees. We may have 800 employees, but we’re still a small business with large concerns about paying our employees as our revenue stream dries up like everyone else. I’m glad to see both sides making an attempt to help both medically and financially.

Presuming we come out the other side of this, and we eventually will, as typical surgeons we are talking about extending hours in the OR and scheduled cases on weekends to make up for the backlog of cases. If so, we will be filling the PT clinics to capacity as well. Just have to hang on through this storm.

And that’s one of my many purple dress shirts. Orange on Fridays. My wardrobe is a little different than most in Bulldog country. Did me a world of good when DeShaun made his excellent choice of schools.

About to turn in after a rather limited family St Pattys Day celebration of reubens and Smithwicks

Stay safe. Wash your hands. Do something kind for a neighbor in need. Read information from responsible sources. Pray we have overreacted instead of waiting too late.

And definitely pray I don’t have to manage your ventilator like the Chinese vascular surgeon I read about from Wuhan who retrained to treat Covid 19 two months ago. I’m better than nothing... but...

Mar 17, 2020, 10:36 PM

Bump POTD

Mar 17, 2020, 11:46 PM [ in reply to Re: How my morning started yesterday ]

I concur with bbo. It's so reassuring to hear from one of our own... Being selfish, I'd say post as often as you can... Or delegate to your staff so we're hearing the truth from the front lines.

However we can help brother, however we can help. Thanks again!!!!

Mar 18, 2020, 3:49 AM [ in reply to Re: How my morning started yesterday ]

Prayers for your kind. I know y’all are anxious about what the future holds. God speed. ????????????

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

God bless you

Mar 17, 2020, 11:55 PM

Thank you.

Stay strong, be safe, get as much sleep as you can

Mar 18, 2020, 7:29 AM

Thank you for your bravery being on the front lines of this crisis.

Mar 18, 2020, 9:48 AM

Will pray for your health and the health of your coworkers while y’all tend to us during these times. The last thing we need is for the docs and nurses to become ill with this horrible virus. We can’t afford to have y’all sidelined. Please take care of yourselves

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 18, 2020, 9:58 AM

My daughter is a PA for Wake Medical and works the ER in Clayton and Smithfield. She works 12 hour night shift and is being required to pull additional shifts. They have already had several positive cases. These frontline men and women are highly susceptible, regardless of the PPE they don. Keep them in your prayers and when you see one of them thank them for what they are doing. They are above and beyond the call right now.

Thanks for the info and stay well!

Mar 18, 2020, 12:19 PM

Everyone please stay well!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thanks for the info and stay well!

Mar 18, 2020, 9:41 PM

Thank You Sir for your selfless service during these uncertain times. I pray for you and all in the medical field and your families. GOD BLESS and GO TIGERS!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thank You!***

Mar 19, 2020, 9:37 AM

Mar 19, 2020, 10:46 AM

Thank you for everything you do, Doctor. Hoping for the best for you and your family as you carry on through this crisis.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Replies: 27
| visibility 5,522
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic