Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How many of you remember seeing the tigers for your first time in person?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 52
| visibility 1

How many of you remember seeing the tigers for your first time in person?

Oct 6, 2017, 7:53 PM

I got a late start not seeing them until I was 14 years old in 2004 against Utah St. but it was awesome! Just wish I would have started earlier.

Message was edited by: MileTiger

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How many of you remember seeing the tigers for your first time in person?

Oct 6, 2017, 7:58 PM

FSU 1992. The beginning of the end for hatfield.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tigers for your first time in person?

Oct 6, 2017, 8:00 PM

1957 season. Think Harvey White and Lowndes Shingler were Qb's for Coach Howard...

Re: Tigers for your first time in person?

Oct 6, 2017, 9:46 PM

Lowndes did not appear on the scene until 1958. He and Harvey were a great QB duo at Clemson. The 59 season probably was their best, going to two bowl games in the same year. They faced LSU and TCU that year. We had enough depth during that time to field two units, the Go and the White team. Big Momma (Lou Cordelione) had his way in the Blue Bonnet Bowl with Jack Sykes a TCU All American that day. WE won the game 23-7. The first time I saw the Tigers play was the game against the chickens that year which we won 27-0 the last Big Thursday game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 6, 2017, 8:01 PM

87 spanking of Maryland........i was overwhelmed. 17 years old drive up with a buddy to see another buddy that was a freshman, he stayed in Johnstone (my LAWD at the girls). Never had a better weekend in my life. Started my love of Clemson.

1978 Lamecocks

Oct 6, 2017, 9:05 PM

Remember sitting in the "new" upper deck before the game. Was a freshman the following year.

Oct 6, 2017, 8:03 PM

87 spanking of Maryland........i was overwhelmed. 17 years old drive up with a buddy to see another buddy that was a freshman, he stayed in Johnstone (my LAWD at the girls). Never had a better weekend in my life. Started my love of Clemson.

Came up to see the Duke game in 84 I believe, slept on the..

Oct 6, 2017, 8:04 PM

floor below the "customized" bunks of some friends rooms in the old Johnstone, where everyone had their illegal antennas hooked up in the trees outside their windows. Ate pizza for the first time at Chanelo's - woke up in the middle of the night dying of thirst from the spices and salt in the cheese...had a blast!!!

Oct 6, 2017, 8:12 PM

1983 UGA @ Clemson i was 9. Ended in a 16-16 tie and I remember walking down the steps from my seat with my Daddy and continuously looking up at the small scoreboard over the old west stands thinking I wish we had just a little more time.

I remember my first time was in 1962 when I was 7..........

Oct 6, 2017, 8:13 PM

I can remember it because it was such a big deal/day for my Dad - he talked about it every season afterward. I remember going but don't remember who we played.

He died in 1994 so the last season we went with him was 1993.

If you young guys only knew what DV was like back then compared to now!

Oct 6, 2017, 8:37 PM

1973 beat scu's step daddy 14-12. Citadel was tough and it was hot

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 6, 2017, 9:01 PM

1986. North Carolina. Kenny Flowers, Rodney Williams. It was 38-10 or 35-10, something like that.

We were in the stadium two hours before kick off. Besides the janitors and police, we were the only ones in the stadium! haha We were that excited! Sat in the west end zone seats.

Saw some memorable games. Puntrooski from behind the Fla State punter. North Carolina State when Tracy Johnson dropped two easy passes to result in a 28-30 loss. Ugh.

Hooper and Cooper. Terrance Flagler. Terry Allen. Donnell Woolford.

Felling powers such as Oklahoma and Tennessee.

Good times.

1971 vs. Maryland

Oct 6, 2017, 9:11 PM

Clemson won 20 - 14

My grandfather (Clemson class of 1924) took me.

I was eight years old.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Oct 6, 2017, 9:15 PM

1957, UNC at Chapel Hill. We had beaten PC 66-0 in our opener. My family journeyed from Gastonia, NC to CH and we were optimistic on the way that we would win. Very disappointing for a ten year old to lose 26-0.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 6, 2017, 9:24 PM

All of us.

Oct 6, 2017, 9:29 PM

I was going to games before I was aware of it. My Dad (circled in photo) played for Frank Howard from 1948 to 1952. He was out of School 15 years before I was born and my first game I was blowing snot bubbles and pooping in me diapers, but I still smelled better than USuC!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Oct 6, 2017, 9:33 PM

Love the photo. No face masks, brutal.

Oct 6, 2017, 9:47 PM

1957. Don't remember who they played. Also after the west endzone was built, getting into games for 50 cents.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'77 @ Willie-B... Fuller to Butler... Definitely a good start***

Oct 6, 2017, 9:50 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 6, 2017, 9:51 PM

first time was in '64 vs. furman.score was 28-0.it was also the season's first game,and I thought we would have a pretty good year,but unfortunately we went 3 and 7.it was the beginning of frank howard's downward spiral.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Maryland game 1959

Oct 6, 2017, 9:53 PM

My high school team, North Charleston, had played Greenwood the night before and then we went to Clemson for the game. It was a big game that got written up in Sports Illustrated, but unfortuneately the Tigers lost.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 6, 2017, 9:58 PM

It was on this date in 1979 - senior year of high school with my best friend's family. Section GG. We beat Virginia.

1979 - 1984

Oct 6, 2017, 10:11 PM

Jennifer Hemphill, Pat Hooks and the lovely cheer team made quite a positive impression. Team was pretty good too!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Seeing us play GT in ‘96

Oct 6, 2017, 10:17 PM

as a 3 year old. I have very very vague memories of it.

Oct 6, 2017, 10:29 PM

Cool thread.

My best friend's father in high school is a Clemson alum, IPTAY members with four great tickets, upper deck, 50-yard line. I was a junior in high school. They took us to the 1989 Gator Bowl against West Virginia, led by Major Harris. Tight game for a while, but the Clemson defense shut them down hard in that game. The crowd was heavily Clemson, breaking into a taunting call of " MAJOR. MAJOR!"

So much fun, and I met so many great people. We travel and represent so well. It was the first hook in me that led to my desire to attend and graduate from Clemson University. Still remember like it was yesterday turning in my lab assignment at Earle Hall on a home game Saturday morning, then walking down the hill to the game.

Go Tigers!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wake Forest, 1967, freshman year

Oct 6, 2017, 10:35 PM

At Clemson. I'd never been to a game before that, just listened to Jim Phillips call games on the radio. Easy win. The next weekend we almost upset Georgia. Took lead in fourth quarter but lost when Georgia scored late. That was the game Ilthat hooked me for life. Saw the good ole days during the Danny Ford era and am now living large, enjoying the Dabo era. Just hope it lasts for at least another 20 years. Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 6, 2017, 10:39 PM

1989. Opening game of the season vs furman. My wife (girlfriend at the time) introduced me to clemson football. Been hooked ever since.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You know you've raised a real tiger fan when you ask your son what he wants his cub scout pinewood derby car to be and he says a Tiger!

1999 vs Marshall was the first one I remember

Oct 6, 2017, 10:46 PM

I was 8

Oct 6, 2017, 11:14 PM

My football coach, Bill Pryor, brought our Edneyville High School team to my first Clemson game on September 16, 1978 versus the Citadel. Clemson won 58–3. We all went out to Lake Hartwell for a cookout and to water ski at his place after the game. Good times!

UGA at Clemson in 1981 as a freshman.

Oct 6, 2017, 11:23 PM

Happy ending....true story.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That would have been around 1961 or 62 and I was too young

Oct 6, 2017, 11:26 PM

to have remembered it. I distinctly remember seeing Jimmy "The Needle" Addison play which would have been around 1965-66. The first game that I distinctly remember that stands out from the rest was 1967 when Ken Stabler and the Alabama Crimson Tide escaped from Death Valley with a 13-10 victory. Another one that same year, a few weeks later, really stands out: The "Orange Shoes" game when we upset top-ten NC State.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdYkq4m1ZG4

http://www.clemsontigers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=28500&ATCLID=211664115

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Oct 6, 2017, 11:43 PM

1977 Or 78 versus Maryland. 6 or 7 years old. I don’t remember the outcome but I do remember my Give Em Hell Pell flag.

Oct 6, 2017, 11:51 PM

1978 vs Citadel 56-3 or something like that but I thought it was the best!

Oct 6, 2017, 11:51 PM

1978 vs Citadel 56-3 or something like that but I thought it was the best!

Oct 6, 2017, 11:59 PM

1970 vs Citadel. Hootie's first HC game (yuck). The wife and I had been dating a short time and I took her. From then on CU football was our thing all through school. At least she knew what she was getting into early on when she went to games with me. We've been all over the country following the team and have some great memories .

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

1959 CU 33 WF 31..

Oct 7, 2017, 12:00 AM

Tigers scored the winning TD with less than 2 mins remaining. WF was led by Norm Snead who was a four time Pro Bowl selection during his 16 year career.

Message was edited by: BerlinSPY73®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Oct 7, 2017, 12:08 AM

1990 Duke. 5 years old with my dad.

Oct 7, 2017, 12:22 AM

One week tonight will be my first time seeing Clemson live. It took 36 years, but finally doing it with my son.

Oct 7, 2017, 1:46 AM

1977 Wake Forest late October. I was 10 yrs old, and we beat up on the Deac' s pretty good, so I recall.

Oct 7, 2017, 2:13 AM

1988 @ Maryland. I had only started watching college football the year before when my older sister enrolled at Clemson. I was as excited as I could have ever been, and I will always remember it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrUxLslMJ10

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

92-93?

Oct 7, 2017, 2:23 AM

Carolina-Clemson

Oct 7, 2017, 2:58 AM

Home vs. Furman

The last Big Thursday game - 1959***

Oct 7, 2017, 6:39 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FSU, 1997

Oct 7, 2017, 7:29 AM

We lost 35-28, but it was a good game.

I had never been to a football game with more than a few hundred people, so seeing 82K+ was mind blowing. Stadium, with all those people, was bigger than life and left quite an impression that day!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Georgia 1971 ( Lost twice in one day** )

Oct 7, 2017, 7:54 AM
LOVE.jpg(93.9 K)

We lost the game 28-0 & I lost my heart to my girlfriend, now wife of 46 years !!!!!!!!!! That was our first date & she spent most of the game telling me ""how cute that little Bulldog was"" on the sideline**

Oct 7, 2017, 7:50 AM

1957 orange bowl.

Oct 7, 2017, 7:55 AM

Yep, 13-10 loss to Kentucky. Having travelled around a LOT, I was not exposed much to Clemson football, until 9/11 1971, a Clemson loss to Kentucky. From that point on I was hooked. That was 46 years ago.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My dad took me to my 1st game in 1953 while he

Oct 7, 2017, 8:01 AM

was a student working full time at a textile mill.....I was too young to remember much about the game except there were a lot of people (probably about 30,000--lol).....lost Dad a few years ago, so I can't press him for the details. But it was a lesson well-learned---mine has been a life centered around the university and Tiger athletics and I was fortunate enough to know a lot of the now legendary figures personally.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 7, 2017, 8:03 AM

1980 I don't remember who we played (alot of booze and and a little weed) but remember the excitement of being in the crowd I was hooked. Biggest game I went to was January 1st 1982.. 40 yard line 25 rows up

Re: How many of you remember seeing the tigers for your first time in person?***

Oct 7, 2017, 8:11 AM

Re: How many of you remember seeing the tigers for your first time in person?***

Oct 7, 2017, 8:18 AM

It was 1958 or 1959 and we played Maryland. Sec G-UG . My dad always stayed thru whole game regardless of weather or score. He made me watch the rifle team perform. Back then they had the best program covers ever. All the people around that section were long time ticket holders....Great times and memories. Love you dad....

Oct 7, 2017, 8:14 AM

1986. Clemson - USuC. I was 11.
I knew my dad was going because he talked all week about having tickets. Didn't think anything about it. He woke me up early that morning.

"Boy, you better get your a** up if you're going with me! You didn't think I'd go without you, did you?"

The game ended in a tie, but it was the best game I've ever been to, and I've been to some great games.

Wasn't a big crowd at the game that day but ...

Oct 7, 2017, 9:08 AM

John Heisman cuts an impressive figure on the sidelines.

Replies: 52
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic