Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How many of you believe in a literal talking snake?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

How many of you believe in a literal talking snake?

Mar 25, 2020, 5:51 PM

Or is it assumed to be allegory?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How many of you believe in a literal talking snake?

Mar 25, 2020, 6:02 PM

It's real. It's the word of God and passed down to men who wrote the Bible. Why would they lie?

Was the person who wrote it down present when

Mar 25, 2020, 6:05 PM

The snake talked?

Mar 25, 2020, 6:34 PM [ in reply to Re: How many of you believe in a literal talking snake? ]

You have a shallow view of what scripture actually claims to be and that’s to be expected, you are an atheist. You believe the world spun into existence from nothing, which is much crazier than a talking snake, if I must say so.

Mar 26, 2020, 1:25 AM

I don't believe to know what happened exactly. We do know the Bible is nonsense and man made bull. There is nothing nuttier than believing the Bible as the words of a "creator". The Bible was written by man in part to attempt to explain what we can't know. It's no different than those nuts who think they get virgins when they go to an imaginary heaven. It's just generally fiction.

Mar 27, 2020, 8:15 AM

The Bible is a collection of 66 books, written by about 40 different authors using many different genres and styles of writing. A lot of the Old Testament is filled with historical narratives that have been proven accurate time and time again. Even if you refuse to believe the miraculous aspects, doesn't mean you throw out everything else.

For example, the story of the plagues during the Exodus from Egypt is attested in another source. This source is from an Egyptian writer during the same time period. Difference is he doesn't give the God Yahweh credit.

Another example is from the New Testament. After Jesus supposedly ascended to heaven the holy spirit came upon his followers. In the story the writer talks about "tongues of fire" coming down on them. Does this mean literally that tongues of fire floated down. No, he was just talking about the awesomeness of the moment that they were filled with the holy spirit's presence in their lives.

I'm pretty sure they can't read.***

Mar 25, 2020, 6:06 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 25, 2020, 6:59 PM

It is allegory. The word for serpent as used in that verse of Genesis means, 'shining one'.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So how do you tell which parts are supposed to

Mar 25, 2020, 7:38 PM

Be literal

you must have struggled mightily with Aesop.

Mar 25, 2020, 7:41 PM

“This is STOOPID. Foxes are carnivores, they don’t even like grapes anyway. And they can’t talk so how do we know what the Fox was thinking?”

“THIS IS BS MAN! I don’t care what variables you change, a turtle isn’t beating a rabbit!”

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it’s a bit yelling that few want to defend what the

Mar 25, 2020, 7:47 PM

Book says...

It’s more “telling” about your belief in the requirement

Mar 25, 2020, 7:52 PM

Of being a Christian.

Nobody has to “defend” it like a kid on the playground standing up to yo mama jokes, they just have to believe it.

Honestly, you can believe whatever you want. It’s totally cool.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It’s more “telling” about your belief in the requirement

Mar 25, 2020, 7:54 PM

So if i believed in say, the tooth fairy i should expect people to understand and not challenge that idea?

Grow up

if I spent any energy trying to convince you

Mar 25, 2020, 7:59 PM

That the tooth fairy was stupid and you were a rube, I would hope you would ask me why an enlightened fellow like myself, who was supposedly indifferent to the idea of dental fairies, would spend so much time and effort angrily trying to convince you to think the way I did, when logic would dictate that it shouldn't matter to me.

first of all, its the P&R board dude

Mar 25, 2020, 8:03 PM

This is pretty much the only appropriate place to talk about it.

Second of all, unlike the tooth fairy, religion has very real world consequences so it does matter to me that so many people are that detached from reality.

In 2020, what are those oppressive consequences?

Mar 25, 2020, 8:07 PM

That you don’t have to work on Christmas Day? That you might get a disapproving look from a granny while you’re buying beer in flip flops and jorts on Easter Sunday? That you get held up in traffic for 45 seconds when the Mega-church lets out? What are these dire consequences that negatively impact your life and dictate you be so illogically evangelical?

Oh I don’t know, we get one issue voters that

Mar 25, 2020, 9:40 PM

Get morons like trump and bush elected.

Trump doesn’t seem to take this virus situation as seriously as he should.

Wouldn’t it be nice if politicians didn’t have to pretend to be religious to get elected?

We could then rely more on data/science than the whims of what a religious moron thinks is particular god wants

As a ghey man, I wasn't allowed to marry because of Christian religion

Mar 26, 2020, 1:45 PM [ in reply to In 2020, what are those oppressive consequences? ]

Until just a few short years ago. But sure there are no real world consequences of people basing their laws off of a belief in a Magic Sky Fairy.

Poor you,

Mar 26, 2020, 7:02 AM [ in reply to it’s a bit yelling that few want to defend what the ]

'the fish aren't biting.' That's the retort of a poor fisherman.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why not - you know how to type too.

Mar 25, 2020, 8:06 PM

What fun!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

Mar 25, 2020, 9:06 PM

A metaphor for man's inherit willfulness.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 26, 2020, 7:15 AM

What does Jonah living in a big fish mean?

Mar 27, 2020, 7:59 AM

Some scholars believe the story of Jonah was a fictional tale written to encourage the Israelites to stop being prejudiced towards pagan nations.

Donkey, too.***

Mar 26, 2020, 6:27 AM

Well talking donkey's are well documented in Skrek.

Mar 26, 2020, 11:28 AM

So do you, Prod, believe that a donkey actually spoke?

Of course!***

Mar 26, 2020, 12:22 PM

I am truly fascinated by that. Not making fun I just don't

Mar 26, 2020, 12:24 PM

get it.

Re: I am truly fascinated by that. Not making fun I just don't

Mar 26, 2020, 12:33 PM

There was a mule that was an amazing field goal kicker in the NFL.

Re: I am truly fascinated by that. Not making fun I just don't

Mar 26, 2020, 12:36 PM [ in reply to I am truly fascinated by that. Not making fun I just don't ]

The Lord works in mysterious ways.

https://youtu.be/DNjfQhhAZT4

Re: Of course!***

Mar 26, 2020, 12:30 PM [ in reply to Of course!*** ]

You're lucky in a way.

If the Bible says it, I believe it and that settles it!***

Mar 26, 2020, 1:46 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Re: If the Bible says it, I believe it and that settles it!***

Mar 27, 2020, 1:27 AM

Cased closed. Luckily man was kind enough to write down God's words for us and put it in a book.

Which Bible again?

Mar 27, 2020, 8:15 AM

There are countless versions and translations that say different things and even contain different books, so we need to clarify which one is 100% true.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 27, 2020, 5:44 AM

llort said:

Or is it assumed to be allegory?

Just out of curiosity, do you guys insult other religions/visit Religious message boards and try to change peoples minds? About all major religions has a “magical” animal Implemented in it. Geez, I’d hate to see you guys stand in the middle of a Islamic community and insult Muhammad.

Mar 27, 2020, 8:16 AM

Why does it bother you? Their arguments are weak. They would get embarrassed if they actually had to stand in front of an audience and debate this subject.

Mar 27, 2020, 8:48 AM [ in reply to Re: How many of you believe in a literal talking snake? ]

I think all religions are illogical yes. Some more than others. I happen to live in a population that is largely Christian, if it were another religion i would be discussing that instead.

And i agree with you, it would be much more dangerous to insult islam especially if i was under their laws.

But just because another religion is more violent than christianity doesn’t suddenly make christianity any less illogical.

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic