Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Saw an unreal stat for CBB today
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Saw an unreal stat for CBB today

Mar 4, 2019, 8:37 PM

Clemson is at the bottom of the ACC with a 1-13 record in games decided by 3 points over the past 3 years!

Did a little research and CBB is a very unimpressive 9-30 in his career for games decided by 3 points or less (that's 23% for you numbers guys, talking to you judge keller)

Breaking down this stat only indicates a lack of execution and poise under pressure, which falls on coaching! Especially when it's year over year the same result. To those who it's not obvious to, let me be clear, marginally increasing the operating budget for the baskeball program WILL NOT result in wins in close games.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I see it differently.

Mar 4, 2019, 8:42 PM

The fact that we are competitive in so many ACC games, despite being less talented a majority of the time, shows what a good coach and player developer Brad is.

We simply need more talent, and I believe the key to getting it is making sure we stop being badly outspent in basketball. More staff, better facilities, etc. are needed to overcome our poor basketball history and recruit better.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: I see it differently.

Mar 4, 2019, 8:58 PM

You’re right judge. B.B. does a good job of developing players. I followed Devoe through his high school Sr. Year at Shelby and we was a terrific shooter at that level. As a freshman he showed very little as a first time ACC player. But over his career at Clemson he developed into a real winner. Seeing him close out his college career with three great games in the tournament indicates to me that Coach and his staff did a great job with him. We certainly miss him now,
When Grantham went down there was already a plan in place to keep the team going and it worked. B.B. is not a bad coach imo!

Mar 4, 2019, 9:00 PM [ in reply to I see it differently. ]

So you don’t think coaching is a factor at all in that stat? When it’s over multiple recruiting cycles it clearly becomes a program culture / discipline issue. So it sounds like he had 8 of those wins in the first part of his career here. He hasn’t improved!!! Why? He’s digressed to 1-13 the last 3 seasons. Clearly coaching is a big factor in that stat and not in a good way.

Either Brownell has become a worse coach in the past

Mar 5, 2019, 11:32 AM

few seasons, OR, the players we have had on our team the last few years simply aren't consistent clutch performers.

I don't know if Brownell is to blame or not, but from what I've seen, our players play hard and are in positions to make plays, they just don't. It's hard to fault the coach for that if the players were in position and didn't perform.

If we had no clue what we were doing, and players weren't put in position to make plays, then that's coaching. I don't see it that way the last few years though.

Let's not forget that the other team is trying their best too. It's not always about our team not doing enough or not doing the right things, but about the other team running a great play or making a great shot. The NC State and Miami games come to mind, where guys on the other team just made great shots.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

How many of those 14 games the last 3 years were

Mar 4, 2019, 9:04 PM [ in reply to I see it differently. ]

against teams with superior talent? We've had some talent the last 3 years and we have talent this year.

The 1-13 stat looks bad on the surface, although I would like to know how many of those games were against top 25 teams.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: How many of those 14 games the last 3 years were

Mar 4, 2019, 9:12 PM

6 of the 14 were against ranked teams. The other 8 teams were unranked . Keep in mind one of those ranked teams was NC State and we all know how good they have played since that game.

Mar 4, 2019, 9:16 PM

That’s even worse! He’s 1-7 in close games against UNRANKED teams the last 3 years?! Wow

Louisville is also unranked today.

Mar 4, 2019, 9:21 PM [ in reply to Re: How many of those 14 games the last 3 years were ]

We've lost 4 close games this year...one of them was against the 3rd ranked team in the country, one of them was to Miami who is currently sitting at an illustrious 4-12 record in conference. Maybe Louisville has better talent than we do this year, but it's close. I don't think NCSU has better talent than we do.

I think Brad is very good at developing players. I think he has done a good job with recruiting high school players and transfer players considering the resources he has. But I also think it's ignorant to look at the 1-13 stat without placing any blame on coaching.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Mar 4, 2019, 10:41 PM [ in reply to How many of those 14 games the last 3 years were ]

All of them, and our team played down to the buzzer

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

All of them?

Mar 5, 2019, 8:09 AM

Mar 5, 2019, 7:57 AM [ in reply to I see it differently. ]
ostrich.jpg(71.1 K)

Judge Keller on Brownlee......

Re: Saw an unreal stat for CBB today

Mar 4, 2019, 8:47 PM

9 is 23 per cent of 30? You got me slugger. I just thought I was a numbers guy!

Mar 4, 2019, 8:50 PM

9 is 23 o/o of 39. I guess that’s what threw me. Reading not a high point either

Mar 4, 2019, 8:51 PM [ in reply to Re: Saw an unreal stat for CBB today ]

Well slugger Einstein I think he is referring to 9/39=23% given the fact that he had 9 wins and lost 30 in 39 games

Mar 4, 2019, 9:16 PM

Coaching is most important in close games in the last few minutes of the game. This is what separates the good coaches from the others. Coach BB appears to be a good guy and does a lot of good things for our program but his coaching ability in close games at the end has been non-existent. And it has not just gotten like that this season. The facts you have given clearly support what I have stated here. He is awful in those games which results in a loss the majority of the time. No he is not on the floor losing these games for us but it is his responsibility to get our guys in the right positions to at least give us a chance to win these games. How many times have we loss because it appears our guys are out there trying to run the clock out like we have the lead and end up throwing the ball up hoping for a prayer or not even getting a shot off at all. Do not look for us to win these games or these stats to change under CBB calling the shots.....Go Tigers!!!!!

I don't think Brad is a bad coach, however seeing that

Mar 4, 2019, 9:44 PM

stat does make you question some of his end of game decisions. He himself admitted that he should have called a time out Saturday. Remember the "no TO left" ending to a game. Several times at the end of a half we seem not to play smart like letting clock run down instead of playing for a 2 for 1, are just things that do make me question him some times. I know people will say his being in some of these games against superior talent does he a good coach, and they're right. However, if you have the talent to play with them for 39 minutes, you should have the talent to hang with them more often for the final minute.

And if you go back 4 years, we are 2--17. For comparison,

Mar 4, 2019, 9:57 PM

in the past three years, Va Tech is 8-1 in those close games!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: And if you go back 4 years, we are 2--17. For comparison,

Mar 4, 2019, 10:40 PM

Brownell probably is as nice a guy as you could ever meet but his coaching abilities in crunch time are horrendous.

Mar 4, 2019, 10:52 PM

I believe if you go back through Clemson’s basketball history losing close games is part of what must be overcome. We have several opportunities to knock off the tar holes in Chapel Hill only to lose. At times I think we even had a lead with less than a minute to go.

This may not have been a factor but IMO if the shot clock had been in play during the 70’s it’s possible Clemson would have won a game or two up there during that time. But as soon as NC would get a lead they would go to there four corners ( what I like to refer to a cowardly basketball) offense.

Another historic part of Clemson Basketball is their inability to shoot free throws.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

See I look at it another way.

Mar 5, 2019, 11:52 AM

We're really good at almost winning.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic