Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How it really went down in Plymouth
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

How it really went down in Plymouth

Nov 28, 2019, 10:14 PM

300 years ago.

“No centuries-long continuity emerged from that 1621 meet-up. New Englanders certainly celebrated Thanksgivings—often in both fall and spring—but they were of the fasting-and-prayer variety. Notable examples took place in 1637 and 1676, following bloody victories over Native people. To mark the second occasion, the Plymouth men mounted the head of Ousamequin’s son Pumetacom above their town on a pike, where it remained for two decades, while his dismembered and unburied body decomposed.”

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/11/25/the-invention-of-thanksgiving

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How it really went down in Plymouth

Nov 28, 2019, 10:19 PM

How about enjoy life and family. Is that too hard. You seen miserable. Get a life.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hey, hope you have a good one too lol***

Nov 28, 2019, 10:27 PM

Re: Hey, hope you have a good one too lol***

Nov 29, 2019, 8:04 AM

Geez, I bet you are a lot of fun at Columbus Day Parties. ;)

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That guy came here for feel-good football talk and left with

Nov 29, 2019, 12:58 PM

the self-righteous indignation. I actually thought it was a cool story to read on Thanksgiving, and never imagined I would have triggered her so thoroughly, lol.

Re: That guy came here for feel-good football talk and left with

Nov 29, 2019, 2:15 PM

If anything, her sense of imagined self importance is adorable.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What's up with libs and trying to take down

Nov 29, 2019, 7:12 AM

Thanksgiving? Be with family, have fun, enjoy the day

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What's up with libs and trying to take down

Nov 29, 2019, 7:39 AM

You guys will believe anything Trump says, won't you?

I have no clue what your talking about with trump

Nov 29, 2019, 10:27 AM

But every year, there media or celebs bashing Thanksgiving or trying every to feel guilty.

Just eat your tofu and stop trying to bring everyone else down.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I have no clue what your talking about with trump

Nov 30, 2019, 12:20 PM

xtiger said:

But every year, there media or celebs bashing Thanksgiving or trying every to feel guilty.

Just eat your tofu and stop trying to bring everyone else down.

But that's the point, no one and I mean not a single person has bashed Thanksgiving or suggest it be renamed. Trump just made that up, it didn't hapeen.

But he makes things up like that to rally his base. Feed them red meat. And they go for it every single time.

The fact that Trump is a pathological liar means nothing to his supporters.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

why are you all clogging up the board with this

Nov 30, 2019, 3:28 PM

Shiiit when we just smacked our rival. Leave it be for a while.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: why are you all clogging up the board with this

Nov 30, 2019, 4:56 PM

You are correct sir, we just curb stomped the chickens for the 6th time in a row. That momentus accomplishment deserves giving the ugliness of politics a rest.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I give thanks everyday, I celebrate Christ's birth...

Nov 29, 2019, 7:45 AM [ in reply to What's up with libs and trying to take down ]

everyday. As far as I'm concerned both are pagan holidays but I see great value in both and I have no condemnation for anyone who celebrates them.

It's difficult for me to think there is a special day to give thanks because it's so easy to do it all day everyday. The same with Christ's birth.

Imo, both are important so people can have a time to spend with family, that makes them special and that's worth giving thanks.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A look at the past = taking down Thanksgiving?

Nov 29, 2019, 1:26 PM [ in reply to What's up with libs and trying to take down ]

Ok, boomer, he he he.

I once heard my white Grandfather and my Cherokee...

Nov 29, 2019, 7:37 AM

grandmother discussing this very subject. My GF was remorsing about the fighting which resulted in America being founded and my GM consoled him by saying her people shouldn't have been occupying the whitemans' land before he even got here.

When I tried to take sides they let me know I wouldn't be here without their union. Would you?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How it really went down in Plymouth

Nov 29, 2019, 7:47 AM

They were just making America great.

The opening paragraphs certainly don’t portray an objective scholarly

Nov 30, 2019, 9:10 AM

work by the author. But that’s as far as I got. Lamenting sexy Indian costumes for Halloween is pretty weak sauce to find its way to The New Yorker.

But I’ll read the full article.

In the meantime, curious about this...

“More wearisome is the annual fight over the legacy of Christopher Columbus—a bold explorer dear to Italian-American communities, but someone who brought to this continent forms of slavery that would devastate indigenous populations for centuries. “

What forms of slavery did CC bring that were different than NA slavery? Or was there no slavery on the continent before CC? How much did Europeans enslave Native Americans?

null

Columbus and Conquistadors used a feudal system

Nov 30, 2019, 10:12 AM

Called Encomiendas, until the King of Spain Enforced the “new laws” in 1542. Of course conquistadors and settlers rebelled.

https://www.thoughtco.com/spains-american-colonies-encomienda-system-2136545

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic