Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How is Michigan getting away with practicing at IMG?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 1

How is Michigan getting away with practicing at IMG?

Feb 10, 2016, 8:22 AM

How is that not an NCAA violation to practice at a facility that houses potential football recruits? Seems questionable to me.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not worried about this, it's another circus tactic.

Feb 10, 2016, 8:25 AM

Sure you get spring break in Florida, but the rest of the year you're in Michigan. Unless they move the campus to IMG Academy, they still have a huge disadvantage to land Florida recruits. Meanwhile, we can host an extremely successful camp at home and bring in basically whomever we choose.

michigan signed 6 players from FLA this cycle, plus

Feb 10, 2016, 8:36 AM

a number of others from california.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2016/02/09/michigan-wolverines-recruiting-jim-harbaugh

http://michigan.247sports.com/Season/2016-Football/Commits

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You might change your mind if UM signs a top Fl kid that

Feb 10, 2016, 8:51 AM [ in reply to Not worried about this, it's another circus tactic. ]

Clemson really wanted because of the advantage of their Fla camp.

That would change my mind***

Feb 10, 2016, 9:03 AM

Agreed, all they are doing is lowering the cost

Feb 10, 2016, 9:59 AM [ in reply to Not worried about this, it's another circus tactic. ]

for unofficial visits to see the coaches. They can't show the facilities or the frozen tundra for a state or the wookies that live outside of the campus.

Re: How is Michigan getting away with practicing at IMG?

Feb 10, 2016, 8:26 AM

UNC held practice at one of the Charlotte area high schools last year. Just seems odd that there isn't some kind of infraction there somewhere.

If that's the case, Brownell needs to start practicing at Oak Hill.***

Feb 10, 2016, 8:28 AM

greensboro as well and london held a scrimmage & "show"

Feb 10, 2016, 8:34 AM [ in reply to Re: How is Michigan getting away with practicing at IMG? ]

at odu his first spring at uva, before odu was fbs.

the ncaa is reportedly moving to legislate this. one of the biggest issues is taking away student-athletes free time, this trip to img is on the players spring break - family/free time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 10, 2016, 8:43 AM

It's funny, but something will come of this cause the $ec doesn't like it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, UNC has been coming to Charlotte the last few years to

Feb 10, 2016, 8:53 AM

practice at the larger High Schools, so it obviously doesn't matter if they use a HS field. I am suprised College teams are allowd ot leave state borders, though it may be a state law in NC.

UNC just pulled a big time reciever from Mallard Creek, where they practiced last year...so it works.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

So the players lose their spring break?

Feb 10, 2016, 8:54 AM

I hope the coaches that compete against them point out that they'll never have a spring break in college because they'll be practicing football!

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

never is a very long time.***

Feb 10, 2016, 8:58 AM

This could backfire on UMich

Feb 10, 2016, 9:01 AM

The message they're putting out is "it's too #### cold to practice up here!" At least that's how I hope southeastern recruits look at it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The NCAA will limit this next year.

Feb 10, 2016, 9:05 AM

Almost guaranteed.

Feb 10, 2016, 9:11 AM

They have get to put a rule into place against this. This is ridiculous. IMG- really???

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 10, 2016, 9:15 AM

It seems like another ridiculous tactic that Harbaugh is using to try and bring in more recruits. I think the NCAA must put a stop this because every school with the funds will be doing this in the next five years. That will hurt competition from smaller schools who are trying to build or establish their program. Like someone stated earlier, I hope some of the recruits look at as it is too cold to practice in Michigan, so then why would I want to go play there? I understand trying to expand your brand, but this is just a another shady tactic used by Harbaugh.

Let Michigan hold spring practice in Florida if they want...

Feb 10, 2016, 9:24 AM

Simply prohibit any contact whatsoever with recruits and bar recruits from attending any of the practices.

If the purpose of the trip truly is simply a matter of practicing in a milder climate, Michigan should no real objection.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Let Michigan hold spring practice in Florida if they want...

Feb 10, 2016, 9:36 AM

I would be ok with that. Let them waste their time and money.

11 billion dollar endowment, one of the richest AD's in the

Feb 10, 2016, 9:54 AM

land, top 10 medical school[research & primary care], top 10ish law school...

they have the HUGH, deep pockets and #4 most profitable football program so maybe a modicum of respect might be in order?

That's great... let them show that off on their campus

Feb 10, 2016, 11:08 AM

it's an obvious stunt to help get talent. But we have seen that Harbaugh likes to play games with recruiting.

I hope that recruits see through it and chose the school based on reality and not what Khakis is trying to present.

Re: That's great... let them show that off on their campus

Feb 10, 2016, 11:15 AM

I don't remember Harbaugh being the slimeball that he is now in Michigan at Stanford. Could be wrong though.

i agree, it's an obvious stunt, just as were his satellite

Feb 10, 2016, 11:16 AM [ in reply to That's great... let them show that off on their campus ]

clinics, which by the way the sec failed to get the ncaa to prevent so the sec were forced to loosen their conference rules on them.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/05/sec_eliminates_its_ban_of_sate.html

i'm sure there will be recruits/families that will be turned off by some of the antics or michigan & the weather or other, just as clemson is not for everyone.

i would prefer this sort of thing go the way of the dodo, but even though i might not like it, i can still have a certain respect for pushing an envelop within the framework of the rules, this did take some thought.

Re: Let Michigan hold spring practice in Florida if they want...

Feb 10, 2016, 9:50 AM [ in reply to Let Michigan hold spring practice in Florida if they want... ]

You trust Harbaugh with that on the honor system?

Oh absolutely not....

Feb 10, 2016, 9:54 AM

but there are enough FSU, Florida and Miami fans in the area who would watch him like a hawk and wouldn't hesitate to report him if he crossed the line.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Oh absolutely not....

Feb 10, 2016, 9:56 AM

good point

Florida schools will not like this.Look for a LOT of UM

Feb 10, 2016, 10:03 AM

players getting arrested by local police to deter UM from future visits.As far as recruiting, LOLOLOLOL they still have to CONVINCE Florida recruits to come up north for the winter. Only so many high school coaches can be hired at a time.

they signed six florida players this cycle, three others

Feb 10, 2016, 10:22 AM

from cali and more from around the states - alabama, georgia and tennessee included.

they have 5 early commits for 2017, 2 of which are from georgia.

i don't like the direction of college football because i enjoy amateur athletics. i understand some of what hargaugh does makes people uneasy, but he's pushing the envelope so i get when/why people might be made uncomfortable.

it's business, it's working and the only thing he appears to be breaking is people's balls, not rules.

Looks like the $EC is already after them

Feb 10, 2016, 10:27 AM

Link:
http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaaf/writer/dennis-dodd/25478600/sec-looking-to-block-michigan-from-holding-spring-practice-in-florida

haha, i'm sure they're not happy. it seems the ncaa will

Feb 10, 2016, 10:31 AM

step in and curtail this, but all i've read is it may be too late this spring to prevent this episode.

If he was getting what he wanted, he wouldn't be moving

Feb 10, 2016, 11:01 AM [ in reply to they signed six florida players this cycle, three others ]

practice to Florida.

he's getting exactly what he wants, national exposure.***

Feb 10, 2016, 11:04 AM

Clemson moving Spring Game to Hawaii ... recruits line up to

Feb 10, 2016, 12:02 PM

commit. Rumors surface Fall Practice to be in France and England in 2016.

Feb 10, 2016, 2:53 PM

Russillo & Kanell just spent 20 minutes straight talking about this. And apparently the SEC isn't happy about and has already complained to NCAA officials about what Michigan is up to which resulted in the following tweet from Jim Hardballs himself an hour ago:

https://twitter.com/coachjim4um/status/697489871728803841

Feb 10, 2016, 4:04 PM

I don't think he thought this out ?? Students look fore ward to the spring break ., Some players
might have plans for that week .,

If your employer said for your vacation I will take you close to the beach but we will work 20 hours
while we are there ,. You cant take any loved ones with you and don't even think about drinking
a cold one ., So what would you tell them .,

Feb 10, 2016, 4:15 PM

Oh he absolutely didn't think it out! Lol. Not sure if you have Twitter, but if you click that link, people have been burning him up with memes and gifs of he himself whining on the field for the past 3 hours now lol.

The Internet has no chill and he should know better.

Remember this? Same crap.

Feb 10, 2016, 7:03 PM

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/4/28/8503673/james-franklin-penn-state-recruiting-camps

He might get the NJ kids from us but Florida is a long shot. FSU and Alabama are still going to be our main competition. Hopefully we get a chance at both next season.

Feb 10, 2016, 8:43 PM

To me it says, "We don't think as highly of our campus and weather and it's nicer down here so we have to come to you." How can you showcase what you have a thousand miles away? You can't. The absolute best thing to do is get the kids on you're campus first, and then you have a foot in he door with them. It's dumb to me.

Replies: 37
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic