Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How is Dayton Ohio?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

How is Dayton Ohio?

Apr 16, 2017, 9:56 AM

My daughter is leaving tomorrow for a Job with PSA airlines in Dayton.
I have heard it's kinda rough there?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How is Dayton Ohio?

Apr 16, 2017, 10:07 AM

Not as rough as if she was going for an United Airline interview.
Still,I hope she does well!

Apr 16, 2017, 10:14 AM

Just like any city. It has its areas. The area around the university is sketchy.

Apr 16, 2017, 10:15 AM

I spent most of my life in that area. I guess it depends on the part of Dayton you or she is in.

I find it to be "depressed" in more ways than one. Pretty much just Healthcare and military are the only things thriving these days. Low cost of living.

Is there anything specific so I don't bore you with unnecessary details.

Apr 16, 2017, 10:55 AM

I believe it's called Miamisburg where they are putting her up in a Double Trees suites by Hilton.
She will stay there until she finds an apartment.

Apr 16, 2017, 11:27 AM

Miamisburg is south of Dayton and is a perfectly fine area. She will be right off the highway and there is a mall practically across the street. The main drag there is quite a busy place. Anywhere south in the Miamisburg, Centerville, Springboro area is fine, and east in the Beavercreek, Kettering, Bellbrook areas. The northern parts of Vandalia, Huber Heights, and Englewood are convenient to the airport but a step down. Stay away from the west side. Fairborn is where the base is.

Dayton itself is pretty much dead. It got hit hard when GM pulled out and hasn't really recovered. There's a minor league baseball team downtown, a nice performing arts center, and sort of a nice river front park. The Air Force museum is a huge draw and is free to tour. I really miss the vast network of bike trails. I also liked the location for all of the metros you can get to in less than 6 hours: Nashville, Louisville, Cincinnati, Columbus, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Chicago, Milwaukee, Indianapolis, St Louis, etc. lots of fun weekend trips to be had.

It's just a ho-hum midwestern town. The UD Flyers rule the roost (I went to the "other" school). Lots of Buckeye fans too ;)

Apr 16, 2017, 12:29 PM

Good to know that it's pretty safe.
I believe she told me everything is walking distance from her hotel.
For food and stuff like that , she will of course have to drive to work.
I'm going up in 2 weeks to help her get in an apartment.

Apr 16, 2017, 1:02 PM

Everything will be close for sure, but probably not walkable. You're welcome to try though!

Dorothy Lane Market has 3 stores in the area... one just a few miles south on 741. Check that out for sure. The Whole Foods there does Friday Night Flights (also something I miss). $5 per person gets you five samples of food/wine pairings. Take your wine glass back anytime after and it's only $4. There is lots of eats in the area.

Just two other points from me, I never felt comfortable in downtown Dayton, sometimes even in broad daylight. So to answer your original question, yes I would say it's rough. The Oregon district is a place she will hear about rather quickly. It's close to UD so a lot of the college kids make that a happening place. But enough about that; let me know if you have any other questions.

Apr 16, 2017, 1:33 PM

Yeah I told her to be very careful around downtown and if possible stay away.
She will have 2 other girls doing the same training and all staying at the same place .
So I guess they will help each other out until they all get use to a new city.
She just graduated from College and is 23 so I hope she has had enough of the College seen.
Which means stay out the Dayton Bars and concentrate on work.

I lived in Centerville. Really liked it.***

Apr 16, 2017, 10:18 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 16, 2017, 10:23 AM

I'll never forget passing through Dayton about a decade ago and stopped in their best Italian restaurant. As I was exiting I saw the oldest Siamese twins alive today entering. Amazing

https://owlcation.com/stem/Ronnie-and-Donnie-Gaylon

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 16, 2017, 2:05 PM

I met one of them!

Apr 16, 2017, 10:24 AM

Its freakin ohio! Ugghh

All I know about Ohio is that it seems they love to vacation

Apr 16, 2017, 10:39 AM

EVERYWHERE. Ohio tags at Myrtle Beach, Ohio tags at the Outer Banks, Ohio tags in VA Beach, Ohio tags in Florida. They really lov to leave the state.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Apr 16, 2017, 10:42 AM

Pathetic

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lived in Beavercreek

Apr 16, 2017, 10:51 AM

It was my only no flying assignment with the Air Force, so I was ready to leave after three years. That said, we enjoyed it. The people were nice, some, pretty good restaurants. Weather wasn't great. Cold winters and summers were a lot hotter than you would expect. Saw the Northern Lights one night, which was really surprising.

Dayton Airport is famous for its popcorn.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You know what 'they' say about that state........

Apr 16, 2017, 11:37 AM

Round on both ends and hi in the middle!

Sorry I couldn't refuse the chance to remark on ... them.

Apr 16, 2017, 11:46 AM

It's probably best to wait until she has established some good friends before she breaks out the 31-0 shirt.

Apr 16, 2017, 12:32 PM

I going up in 2 weeks and will be decked out in Orange

Apr 16, 2017, 1:23 PM

It couldn't be too good or all the Ohioans wouldn't have moved to Hilton Head island. At least all the ones who could find a way out.

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic