»
Topic: How did the Gator Bowl get so crappy?
Replies: 14   Last Post: Dec 30, 2017 9:18 PM by: gotigrz
This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.

[ Archives - Tiger Boards Archive ]
Start New Topic
Replies: 14  

How did the Gator Bowl get so crappy?

Posted: Dec 30, 2017 2:52 PM

Obviously it’s the Tax Slayer Bowl now but I remember growing up in the last 90s early 2000s it was a pretty good bowl and we were all clamoring to go. Now there are like 10,000 people there, it’s not in New Years Day and has a really bad name. Any idea of what causes it to go so far down hill?

Re: How did the Gator Bowl get so crappy?

Posted: Dec 30, 2017 2:59 PM

I agree. The Gator Bowl used to be a high second tier bowl, behind first tier bowls like the
Orange, Sugar, Rose, etc. I think the demise started during the BCS when the bowls all went to automatic conference tie ins based off where teams finish in conference. It just makes it harder to get good match ups.

[3]
Posted: Dec 30, 2017 3:04 PM

They started inviting teams like the coots, and it went down the hill at a fast slide from there. They ruin anything they get involved with/in, any where they go!!!!

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

2019 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg

[1]
Posted: Dec 30, 2017 3:35 PM

I hate all things gamecock but... when's the last time they been in the gator bowl???.. I swear, some of y'all will take a shot at them even if it makes no sense or doesn't apply at all...

Imho, it sucks cause f the bcs and the playoffs... you're gonna see a lot more if this going forward.. they're making fewer and fewer bowls actually matter..

Agreed...that comment was stupid. GC have not been in that

Posted: Dec 30, 2017 4:37 PM

bowl and sounds like something they would say without anything to back it up. allorangeallthetime52®

Re: Agreed...that comment was stupid. GC have not been in that

Posted: Dec 30, 2017 7:04 PM

Coots have played in several Gator Bowls TigersTeeth!!! The coots started that bowl decay in 1945, and continued in the 80s....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_South_Carolina_Gamecocks_football_seasons

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

2019 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg

Posted: Dec 30, 2017 9:15 PM

The question was when did the gator bowl start sucking... it was a decent bowl up til recently.. so again.. when was the last time the coots been to it??.. without looking at your link, I'll guess not recently..

Posted: Dec 30, 2017 9:18 PM

Ok.. I looked.. last time was '84... that ain't recent and the gator bowl was a good bowl back then.. hence why they lost all of em.. lol

Because only half dozen bowls matter now.*****

[1]
Posted: Dec 30, 2017 3:07 PM

2019 white level member

[3]
Posted: Dec 30, 2017 3:25 PM

Should be called the Bowl Slayer Bowl.

People realized Jacksonville sucks?***

Posted: Dec 30, 2017 3:26 PM

The Stadium went to Crap

Posted: Dec 30, 2017 3:35 PM

and the city quit supporting the bowl.

The Jaguars NFL franchise remodeled/rebuilt the stadium but still little community support.

2019 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg

null

[1]
Posted: Dec 30, 2017 3:38 PM

I think it got bad after they started having the ACC championship game there and they also had the ACC 2nd or 3rd choice after the Orange bowl.

Fans of the losing team didn't want to go there twice in a month and attendance started dying down.

Then they dropped affiliation with the ACC and got lower teams from other conferences.

2019 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

Posted: Dec 30, 2017 3:40 PM

Why isn't NC State in this bowl?

And, JAX ain't Miami in that it's COLd & Breezy!

Posted: Dec 30, 2017 4:02 PM

Well, True!

2019 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg

To All CLEMSON TiGERS..Sending you Bright Light from the Carolina Coast and hoping you get to witness a huge Orange sunset tonight. Go Tigers!

Replies: 14  

TIGER TICKETS

FB GAME: Wake Forest
FOR SALE: 4 tickets in section UE. Great seats in the upper part of the lower deck around the 35/40 yard line ...

Buy or Sell CU Tickets and More in Tiger Tickets!

[ Archives - Tiger Boards Archive ]
Start New Topic
2288 people have read this post