Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How It All Began (Long)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

How It All Began (Long)

May 31, 2017, 3:40 PM

The orange Tiger Paw and Tiger Paw Flag are now recognized throughout most of this green earth. They have traveled the globe from North to South and from East to West. The flag has flown on top of mountains, on and below the high seas, on battlegrounds and wherever Clemson grads, students, families and friends have set foot. They serve as a magnetic beacon to all who have even the slightest knowledge of Clemson and the famous Paw. More recently, it has flown over our State Capital in Columbia., It's a brand whose recognition has grown from the campus on the shores of Lake Hartwell and the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains to all corners of the earth.

How did it all begin? For many years before my wife's passing, we always took a supply of Tiger Paws as we traveled far and near. In 1987, we were scheduled to attend the Lions International Convention in Taipei, Taiwan. We made arrangements to travel with about 75 North Carolina Lions and their spouses. Following the convention we were scheduled to visit Hong Kong and the China mainland. Knowing we would have the opportunity to see and "paw" a large number of people, I took about 1,500 Tiger Paws and a generous supply of other Tiger items.

On our flight were fans of North Carolina, Duke, Wake Forest, North Carolina State and several other schools. Before our flight had crossed the Mississippi River, everyone was sporting a Tiger Paw, although, at first, some were reluctant to do so. After stops in Los Angeles and Anchorage, Alaska, about one-half of our group were informed we would be bumper in Seoul, South Korea. My wife and I were among those that were bumped. This was really a bonus for me because I had serves in the Korean War and had an opportunity to revisit and show my wife some of the places where I had been. During our two-day stay, a few Koreans were also the recipients of a Tiger Paw.

Finally arriving in Taipei, there were about 35,000 Lions from all over the world. I could have passed out a Tiger Paw to each one had I an unlimited supply so I had to be very selective. We still had Hong Kong and China. I was beginning to think I should have had a huge trunk filled with Paws and Flags. Every time I "Pawed" someone, I had the opportunity to tell them about Clemson. And, everyone who was "Pawed" considered the Paw a badge of honor.

Hong Kong, being more of a cosmopolitan area, did not receive the full treatment because I was saving most of my rapidly depleting supply of Paws for China. Word of my arrival in Beijing with my supply of Tiger Paws must have been posted on the front page of the Beijing Daily Communist News. As soon as I pulled out a Tiger Paw where there was only one person, twenty five more appeared in one second flat. Our interpreter was a life saver. She had already heard my spiel and told the children and others that the Tiger Paw was the logo of the Clemson University football team in the United States and were known as the Tigers.

A trip to China is not complete unless one takes a trip to the Great Wall. The most popular spot is probably Badaling Pass, about 45 miles North of Beijing. On our trip to the Great Wall, we made a stop at a store where we could purchase soft drinks and "goodies". Out came the Tiger Paws and before I could say "ALLIN", I was surrounded by about 15 - 20 young kids. There is no way I can adequately describe the look on the faces of those children. One would think I had handed them a million dollars.
Finally arriving at the Great Wall, there was a sea of people in every direction. I saw two young Chinese girls who I judged to be about 18 - 20 years of age. Not knowing the culture, I asked my interpreter to ask if they would like to be "pawed". Receiving a positive response, they were officially "pawed". They then said something in Chinese. Our interpreter said they wanted a photo with me. I stood between the two and they continued to mumble something in Chinese. The interpreter said they wanted me to put my arms around them. And I did !!!

As a young boy growing up in Florida there was a lot of sandy soil which made it easy for digging. We often said we were digging through to China. When my wife and I were standing on the Great Wall, I turned to her and said, "I finally dug through".

Arriving back in Clemson, I had my prints developed and glancing at the prints, I saw literally hundreds of people from many different countries sporting a Clemson Tiger Paw. Wanting to share these photos with some of the Clemson staff, I went over to Jervey Building. As I walked down the hall, I came to the office of Coach Frank Howard. I told him I had some photos I wanted to show him. I explained where and how the photos came about. He said, "hold it a minute", picked up the phone, called the Orange & White office and asked for someone to come down to his office. Ira Bedenbaugh came down to Howard's office and Coach Howard told him Joe may have an interesting story for you. Ira prepared a story and it appeared in the October 6, 1987, Issue of The Orange and White.

In the article we encouraged Tiger fans to take Tiger Paws, Tiger Flags and other Tiger items on their travels. This is a wonderful way to publicize Clemson and "break the ice" in meeting and making new friends. In my travels to many parts of the world, I estimate I have given away about 12,000 to 15,000 Tiger Paws. In England, I have placed a Tiger Paw in about 35 Pubs It someone comes in, sees the Paw and identifies it as a Clemson Tiger Paw, they get a free beer. So, if you visit a Pub in England, look for "The Paw", which could lead to a cool brew.

In 1992-93 I served as a consultant to the Cotton Export Corp. in Pakistan. I had my usual large supply of Tiger Paws which I distributed all over the country. In almost every large city throughout the country there were Pakistanis who had attended Clemson. I had the opportunity to visit in the homes of many, and in each home were many Clemson objects. I left Tiger Paws with each one. I came home for Christmas in 1992 and on my return to Pakistan, I had a suitcase full of Clemson caps and jackets for our Pakistani male employees and Clemson scarves for our two Pakistani secretaries. The men wore their caps wherever they went. After my return home, Phil Batson, Editor of the Orange and White at that time, wrote an article which appeared in the October 26, 1993 issue.

And that, fellow Tigers, is how it all began.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How It All Began (Long)

May 31, 2017, 3:58 PM

Joe, I love reading your stories. Thank you for taking the time to write them and for all that you have done and continue to do for Clemson. +1

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great stuff Joe, carrying the PAW around the World!

May 31, 2017, 4:37 PM

And in my small way did same in Paris & Parts of France in 1992 with small paw decals stuck to everything..as well as rental car having a 2' long CLEMSON rear window sticker..

And in 1987 & 1988 leaving paw decals in airplane on Back of seat, at UCLA bookstore checkout counter, at Alcatraz Prison in cells & with Head Guard, at Rose Bowl in men's rest rooms..in rental car rear window both years..in Vegas hotel rooms, etc.

Oh, several years I've attached small sticky backed Paws on Coot Car License Plates.

bUT, your story is the very best I've ever heard within the last 5 minutes and/or in last 25 years!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Great stuff Joe, carrying the PAW around the World!

May 31, 2017, 5:54 PM

After the article appeared in the Orange and White in 1987, I began to receive phone calls and letters about the Tiger Paws. This was before we had the internet boards. Several had seen Tiger Paws at various places and asked if those were some I had placed. I had to plead guilty for some but some were placed there by other Tiger fans.

I usually have a few Tiger Paws in my coat pocket on Sundays and I give them out to some of the children. Sometimes they will come up to me and ask if I have a Tiger Paw. I have nieces and nephews, great nieces and nephews and lots of family members who have gone, or currently going to other schools. I save all of those Tiger cups and give them to these kids. Cups have gone to St. Mary's at Notre Dame, Illinois, Wisconsin, NC State, Florida, Texas El Paso, Penn State, Vanderbilt and a host of other schools. It's a fun thing. It's a "bragging" thing for them.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 31, 2017, 4:40 PM

A very big thumbs up to you! Or should I say "paw up"!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 31, 2017, 9:11 PM
IMG_4775.JPG(90.0 K)

In a pub in Ireland...

May 31, 2017, 11:45 PM

Greta story. Where is the most cost effective place to purchase paws and flags? I'll be in Clemson this wknd as my son is attending Dabo camp for the 3rd straight year. We have some fun travels planned for the rest of the summer and would love to spread some Clemson around the globe!

Jun 1, 2017, 10:54 AM

I used to get Tiger Paws from IPTAY and the Alumni Office. The cost of the knitted Paws (these are the small "stick on" Paws) has increased so much that the latest ones are of much lower quality, mostly printed. I'll check with the IPTAY office to see if I can find out the source and if they can be purchased by individuals. Years ago, the South Carolina Tourism Dept. had a small plastic palmetto tree pin with S C at the base of the palmetto. It had a clutch pin on the back and was a nice item. I had a friend in the Dept.who gave me a large supply for my trips but the cost finally took them out of the "freebie" range. I still have a few that are now a collectors item.

Jun 1, 2017, 11:12 AM

Joe .... Fabulous story and makes me feel guilty that I haven't spread the paw around enough. Great job! All of my associates, clients, and others in my field of work know exactly who I pull for and I do my best to not let them forget it...... But pretty pitiful compared to your efforts. I pledge to do better!

Thank you for your great service to Clemson and our great country!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic