Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How Clemson Can Beat a Good SEC Defense. (I may be Insane)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

How Clemson Can Beat a Good SEC Defense. (I may be Insane)

Dec 4, 2012, 8:48 AM

I am either a genius or a complete lunatic. Dave78 will most likely call me an "idiot" again.

I was looking at the SCAR game and a couple of things really affected the game:

1. We only had 59 offensive plays

2. Carolina's Offense killed us by having the ball 20 minutes longer than we did.....

Our defense played pretty good until the second half when the constant size and power just was too much to over come..........Which leads to my thought...

I expect our defense will play pretty tough in the first half and unless our offense jumps on them and gives them a huge lead and will again get worn down in the trenches again...

Okay..He is my insanity plea: Play a "Prevent Defense" IF we cannot stop the LSU offense to get the ball back in the hands of our offense!....

Stay with me on this.....We cannot afford a 60-80 yard 15 play drives over and over....But if we essentially give them around their own 25-30, the field gets shorter and we may have a chance to hold them to field goals, turnovers and more importantly get LSU's offense off the field quicker and get our Offense the ball back!.....They cannot grind us down if they are essentially given the red zone...The drive will mostly likely be over in 5-6 plays or less!

By doing this, we will get the ball back and if our high tempo starts to click and we start putting the points up, then LSU's defense will get gassed and change what LSU's offense has to do and we can change back to an aggressive defense and go head hunting.....

Okay...flame away, call the guys with the butterfly nets or give me a medal.....LOL

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

That isn't a "Prevent Defense".***

Dec 4, 2012, 8:50 AM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

It was the closest I could call it..

Dec 4, 2012, 8:52 AM

Basically just keep the one play TD from occurring

How offense can help defense stay off field longer!

Dec 4, 2012, 8:55 AM

I hope and expect offensive coaches saw the handwriting on the wall - more ball control vs. fast defenses with more play/action, running (at fast edge rushers esp.),
occasional long pass - ask any coach successful against Usuc and Saban - his words for success against uga in second half!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

not a bad idea....key is third down

Dec 4, 2012, 9:01 AM

that was our problem against the chickens, i think they converted 11 third downs and maybe a forth or two. i was thinking that game if carolina would hurry up and score we'd be better off.

we need to get into a shootout against lsu, not sure if our offense can hold up to their end of the bargain.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ALL IN!!

About that....

Dec 4, 2012, 9:04 AM

My whole thought is by giving LSU very short fields, we can bring secondary more close to the line and have extra help....we can't get burned on 40 yard play action passes when it is 3rd and 4 on the 18......

just a very wacky thought

Message was edited by: The FIGHTINGDABOS®

Re: How Clemson Can Beat a Good SEC Defense. (I may be Insane)

Dec 4, 2012, 9:12 AM

A power running game is the best way to beat good defenses. Teams with good defenses don't respect our running game. They drop another safety back and go after our QB. A linebacker size running back pounding it up the middle to beat up these good defensive lineman will open up a power passing attack.Good defenses are adjusting to Morris's offense and he's not adjusting to what they're doing. FSU and USCe both shut him out in the second.

Pretty sure we scored 37 against FSU

Dec 4, 2012, 9:15 AM

I don't care what half it was. That beats a lot of defensive teams...

Re: Pretty sure we scored 37 against FSU

Dec 4, 2012, 9:38 AM

fsu is in the acc which means they suck buddy

Re: Pretty sure we scored 37 against FSU

Dec 4, 2012, 10:23 AM

to beat our offense you have to have corners that are physical and knock our receivers off their routes. if you can pressure tb he gets rattled and makes bad decisions. like sc did, you have to control the clock with your offense and limit our number of possesions on offense. we only ran 59 plays in sc game. lsu has 4 power backs that they will run at us and their qb will use the play action pass when we come up to stop the run. they will see how sc also was able to use the short passing game and quick screens to hurt us. imo, we have to score first and quick and make them match us score for score and have a shoot out. that type game plays to our offensive strength. we cant depend on our d to win the game. lsu does not have a catch up offense.

I brought up FSU because

Dec 4, 2012, 10:43 AM [ in reply to Re: Pretty sure we scored 37 against FSU ]

it was in the comment I was responding to. Please follow the bouncing ball.

I may be crazier than you but

Dec 4, 2012, 9:14 AM

I think we need to do the opposite. Press the secondary. Do not give them anything under the zone. Make every completion be an over-the-top play. We gave up quick scores to Nc State but they rarely hit the underneath ball. We won that game. We gave Scar cushion and they took the air out of our offense. Playing everyone close to the line will also make LSU more likely to pass (not their strength). Tell the DBs to take chances on picks. Tell them to try to strip the ball after the catch. Our defense can't defend the whole field so we need to be more high risk high reward.

Re: I may be crazier than you but

Dec 4, 2012, 10:09 AM

Agree. Take some risk. Better than to die from a thousand cuts.

Who is Dave78?

Dec 4, 2012, 9:18 AM

Sounds like a real tool.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

he is some idiot that prentends to be you...LOL***

Dec 4, 2012, 9:19 AM

OUTRAGEOUS!

Dec 4, 2012, 9:23 AM

That impostor should be banned from TigerNet!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

No. One single safety. Press man - and very tight.

Dec 4, 2012, 10:17 AM

All the rest in the box.

Stop all you can..... If they happen to hit the odd breakaway , or beat in coverage then so be it. The ball comes right back to our offense on the next play.
If it works 3 out of 4 or 5 times, then thats better than playing safe and it working 1 or 2 times out of 5.

This is how I thought we would beat SC....but alas.

That would be a smart plan for the defense.

Dec 4, 2012, 11:00 AM

Go uber-aggressive and if they hit the homerun, oh well. That just means the O gets the ball.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

On offense....

Dec 4, 2012, 12:31 PM

Sweeps.
Rollouts.
Tight ends slot recievers cracking down on sweeps and rollouts.

Sweeps , Rollouts and hitting the drags over the middle.

Sweeps, Rollouts and pop the occasional wheel route.

Sweeps, Rollouts and the occasional reverse to Rod (they'll be keying on Sammy)

Inside shovel pass to Ellington occasionally.

Shovel pass screen....if broken up, no loss on the play.

No more than 2 spread it out and QB draw per quarter. Each TD gets you one more QB draw per quarter.

Re: On offense....

Dec 4, 2012, 12:39 PM

Anything to the edges will not work.Slants over the middle will.

And did I mention the occasional Tebow , stop jump pass***

Dec 4, 2012, 12:42 PM [ in reply to On offense.... ]

Re: No. One single safety. Press man - and very tight.

Dec 4, 2012, 12:37 PM [ in reply to No. One single safety. Press man - and very tight. ]

> All the rest in the box.
>
> Stop all you can..... If they happen to hit the odd
> breakaway , or beat in coverage then so be it. The
> ball comes right back to our offense on the next
> play.
> If it works 3 out of 4 or 5 times, then thats better
> than playing safe and it working 1 or 2 times out of
> 5.
>
> This is how I thought we would beat SC....but alas.

This is the correct answer. Stack the box to shut LSU down.

I tested your theory on XBOX 360...LOL

Dec 4, 2012, 1:37 PM [ in reply to No. One single safety. Press man - and very tight. ]

I set it up for the Chickie-bowl arena on Heisman mode...

I came after them just about every play unless it was like 3rd and 16...first half, Clemson 35 LSU 31...Second half I figure out the they we not going to let me run at all so I check off and went deep frequently.... Sammy had of 500 yards...

Once I jumped up the lead, they quit running...like we really need to happen

final..Clemson 69 LSU 38.....

If only it could really be that way

Stop trying to hit a homerun every play and do what we do

Dec 4, 2012, 10:29 AM

best. That's probably a much better tactic. I mean I could be crazy, but how about instead of abandoning the run and giving Sammy Watkins only 1 or 2 touches we go back to our bread and butter?

I love the long bomb as much as anyone else, but when we're facing a very tough DL (as in the SCAR game) how about not holding the ball so long and instead using the 3 step drop or shotgun equivalent and getting the ball delivered quickly, say with slants, TE outs, etc?

How about running the ball with the hot hand, like Hot Rod during the SCAR game?

How about getting the ball to Watkins in space and letting him pick up some yards?

How about throwing the deep pass on unorthodox down and distance so everybody in the stands doesn't know it is coming?

Just the basic stuff. That's all we need to do.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Only problem with your theory.....

Dec 4, 2012, 10:40 AM

LSU's defense. We can't spot them points like we did versus NC State. Your theory may work against weak teams, but not against teams with a good defense.

It's easy to fall into the trap you're talking about because of the relative weakness of the defenses we've faced this year. We played two teams this year with really good defenses. We lost both of those games. LSU will be the third really good defense we face. They are right between USC and FSU as far as the level of their defense. Also keep in mind FSU's defense is ranked higher than it really should be because the relative weakness of their ACC competition.

Our defense just needs to improve. Period.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ironic that the two good defenses we faced we lost because

Dec 4, 2012, 10:45 AM

of our defense's lack of ability to get stops.

FSU outscored us.

Usuc played keep away.

If we make LSU stop up 12 or possessions we will score plenty. We can't let them milk the clock like usuc did.

It's really not that hard to figure out...

Dec 4, 2012, 10:56 AM

What is the common thread in the games we lose under Dabo?

The opposition has a good defense.

What happens when the opposition has a good defense?

Our high octane offense gets on and off the field in record time, we lose the field position battle, and we wear out our defense.

This isn't rocket science.

Right, except you are making a grand leap in assuming

Dec 4, 2012, 11:24 AM

that just because a good defense slows down our offense, that the style of offense we run is the primary contributor to our losing. I believe this to be a flawed assumption.

By it's a very nature, a good defense will slow down a good offense because it is inherently good. Just because USC and FSU both had talented defenses and slowed our offense down doesn't mean that the HUHN is an inferior style of offense. It simply means they have good defenses.

When I break down the game I see the primary contributor to our losses being our horrible defense. We have no reliable pass rush with our front 4. The Secondary appears to be the weakest position on the team. Their shortcomings are only exacerbated by the lack of a reliable pass rush.

I do believe your assumption about the defense getting worn out to be correct, however I also think that the lack of success on offense was do in part to a poor schematic gameplan from the coaches and poor player execution on the part of our offense. So to reiterate, the scheme itself isn't to blame, but rather other factors such as lack of talent and/or execution on both sides of the ball. Of course, believing all of this requires taking the mental leap in assuming the above vs an inherent disadvantage running the HUNH.

It's not about slowing down our offense, it's about shutting

Dec 4, 2012, 12:08 PM

down our offense. If we only ran one play per drive, but that was a touchdown, then who cares. The problem is our offense goes 3 and out whenever we face a defense with a pulse.

Usuc's size and power? They threw it the whole time.

Dec 4, 2012, 10:40 AM

We should play high risk/high reward defense designed for big plays. Either they make big plays, or we make them. But we must increase the total number of possessions.

LSU will try to play keep away by running the ball a lot. Bring 9 guys in the box, dare them to throw it figuring they won't make enough plays to beat us.

The Whole Key is the best way to get the ball in Tajh's hand

Dec 4, 2012, 10:58 AM

Now if we load the box and played man on man with the understand that we will give up several chunk plays for TD's or long yardage so be it......This can still lead to LSU just pounding the center on the D-line until it caves in the 3rd Qtr (If it is a close game)...

If we can some how jump on them early wit a 2-3 TD lead, LSU will be forced out of what we all know is a very predictable game plan....

Duke and NC State got a number of one play TD's, but we got the ball back and we eventually out scored them and they couldn't keep up.....

We Must Get LSU in a track meet

Re: How Clemson Can Beat a Good SEC Defense. (I may be Insane)

Dec 4, 2012, 11:32 AM

I think the problem is the Clemson offensive line. We don't have time to run the plays called. Clemson couldn't even get the bubble screen going. The speed on defense negated that aspect of our offense. Until we recruit offensive linemen and get depth so that the starters don't have to play 90% of the snaps, we don't have a chance against a top tier SEC team. We were lucky the coots didn't put 40+ on us. We beat Auburn by what 6? And were lucky to do that. RECRUIT, RECRUIT, RECRUIT. Games are won on the line of scrimage and I think the Clemson coaches should know that by now. Maybe Dabo needs to go talk to Danny, because that's how he won.

Sounds like a Kevin Steele defense

Dec 4, 2012, 11:45 AM

Nm

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic