Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hot take or not? ACC football is historically
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

Hot take or not? ACC football is historically

Sep 9, 2019, 11:16 AM

bad this year. Other than Clemson, there may not be another ranked ACC team at season's end.

Sirius replies only.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: Hot take or not? ACC football is historically

Sep 9, 2019, 11:17 AM

Yes.

HTH

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Why is it a hot take? Essplain yourself***

Sep 9, 2019, 11:21 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bob buying the SEC narative be like.........

Sep 9, 2019, 11:18 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Link to any comment I've made about the SEC...

Sep 9, 2019, 11:21 AM

moran

I know a SEC homer troll when I see one.

Sep 9, 2019, 11:27 AM

HTH

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Re: Bob buying the SEC narative be like.........

Sep 9, 2019, 11:22 AM [ in reply to Bob buying the SEC narative be like......... ]

I think OP boxed himself into a box with that one.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Sep 9, 2019, 11:33 AM

Maybe, but it's also clear that the SEC bias is still going strong. With Florida and Auburn being in the top 10 right now, that tells me there is a lot of parity when you get below the top 4 teams. I'll wait for 12/8/19 when the real rankings happen and will look for the Tigers to be in it. I wouldn't be shocked if we weren't #1 at that point, as the powers that be will try to schedule an attractive playoff lineup and having us at #1 may not be what they want. Go Tigers.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 9, 2019, 11:33 AM

Why would Clemson fans want to perpetuate the myth that no one in our conference can play serious football.

Everybody's attempting to play catch-up with us. By comparison, they've got a long way to go.

Maybe a better question would be, how many teams in our league can present a challenge as serious as that of Texas A and M - the 2nd-3rd-or 4th best team in the SEC West.

Sep 9, 2019, 6:57 PM

I’d argue, why would a Clemson fan perpetuate anything false about how good the ACC is, when it’s clearly not? Have you see the games. Last year Clemson was in a league of its own in the ACC. This year, it’s not even to the point where an analyst can even talk about an upset from our league. Who cares about the ACC. Win and we’re in. Go Tigers go!!

Too early to call. Last year was historically

Sep 9, 2019, 11:37 AM

Bad.

Syracuse looks worse but everyone else is looking improved imo.

By the end of the year, GT, UNC, Miami and UVA will prove to be pretty good teams.

We are the only great team in the league again.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not sure about that

Sep 9, 2019, 3:45 PM

Cuse is worse

FSU is probably worse (which is scary)

State is probably worse, possibly about the same but we haven't seen them against a real opponent yet

Wake looks better

BC is probably about the same

Louisville looks better

Miami does not look improved

VT doesn't either

UVA is probably better

UNC is better

GT is worse

Duke is probably worse - perhaps around the same

Pitt is probably about the same

Overall not seeing a great deal of improvement.

I’m thinking UNC, Miami, Louisville and GT will

Sep 14, 2019, 9:43 AM

Make improvements through the season under new coaching staffs.

FSU looked better but they are pitiful in the second half. They look to have already given up on the season

BC is worse and VT doesn’t look to have improved

Sep 9, 2019, 1:19 PM

If Louisville learns to take care of the football they will be pretty good too.

Highly likely BC will be 7-0 when they come to Clemson

Sep 9, 2019, 3:10 PM

Their only serious challenge between now and then is a home game vs the wolfpack. Don't be surprised if they are ranked about #15 when we play them.

They may very well be unbeaten. But doubt they get to #15

Sep 9, 2019, 4:17 PM

by beating absolutely no one with a pulse.

Why not...half the SEC

Sep 9, 2019, 4:22 PM

Accomplishes it!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wrong. There is no doubt that the benchmark year for

Sep 9, 2019, 5:25 PM

a Historically bad ACC was 1969. The conference champ that year was only 7-4, and was dominated in a lower tier (at the time) Peach Bowl by West Virginia. At least when we got stomped by W. Va, it was in a major bowl.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 9, 2019, 7:01 PM

I think UNC, UVA and BC will all be ranked decently by the end of the season.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 9, 2019, 7:05 PM

I may get the classic eye roll on this but; watch and see.

FSU will win more than they lose this year! The new coaches in place there are still settling in. I know they struggled vs. L-Monroe. And lost to Boise St(ranked team). But, they will end up ranked(keep this post).
UVA I believe is currently ranked or should be. With who all they had coming back they should be.
N. Carolina - will be ranked by the time we play them!
Syracuse - will win more than they lose! Everybody don't have what Maryland has to offer! They will have a good record and get ranked before it's all said and done.
Nancy St. - has a really good QB who kind of reminds me of Russell Wilson with his poise. More passer than runner; but a cool customer! New Offensive Coordinator seems to be a Big 12 offense type. They have recruited well enough I think they will win.

Miami - who knows! Was UNC that good? Was Florida? Florida is ranked and UNC is just outside the top 25. Could be the Hurricanes beat most other teams on their schedule and end up ranked.

Outside shots - Wake Forrest and BC! Their only problem is they have to play Clemson!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 9, 2019, 8:58 PM

Wait, you seriously think the FSU team that just beat UL Monroe by 1 point in overtime thanks to a missed extra point is going to be a top 25 team at some point this season?

1969 says hello!

Sep 9, 2019, 7:22 PM

Coots won the title with a 7-4 record, lost Peach Bowl. Only team in league with a winning record.
It can NEVER come close to being this bad. Not only worst ACC, worst ANY conference EVER.

1969 ACC football standings
SC 7-4
UNC 5-5
Clemson 4-6
Duke 3-6-1
NC State 3-6-1
Maryland 3-7
Wake 3-7
UVA 3-7

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/acc/1969.html

Re: 1969 says hello!

Sep 9, 2019, 7:39 PM

Good point scooter. I just said the ACC is bad.....not anywhere near that bad. Haha

Can we say 2 games in though?

Sep 9, 2019, 7:48 PM

The same ACC that won the Bowl Challenge Cup in 2016 at 9-3 which pits good teams from each conference against each other?
Or the one that went 7-5 last year while the so called best conference only mustered 6 wins! That ACC? It's nowhere near as bad as the rankings suggest.

***For S&G flip it around! Say ACC squads started the season all ranked high(5 of them or more). Those teams only lose to another one of those ranked squads in the ACC. They remain ranked! Now all the while the O.O.C schedule is rubbish. The final strength of schedule looks good b/c you have played other over-rated teams! Sound familiar?

Out of conference I don't believe (could be wrong if so show me) the numbers suggest the perception has any legs! As good on the field as the SEC or Big 10. NO. But, no where near as bad as it is perceived based on bowl records and head to heads that are in the history books!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Can we say 2 games in though?

Sep 9, 2019, 8:38 PM

I only count 6 wins for the ACC in bowls last year. 2 of those were by Clemson, and 2 of the others were over Memphis and Temple. The Syracuse win over WV was with WV playing without their starting QB and leading receiver. We had 3 bowls against non P5 conferences.

Re: Can we say 2 games in though?

Sep 9, 2019, 8:52 PM [ in reply to Can we say 2 games in though? ]

Also, how would starting more of our teams in the top 25 help?

Would it have helped Miami not lose to Florida?

Would it have helped FSU not lose to Boise?

Syracuse was ranked and still would be if they didn’t lose by 43 points to a team that went 5-7 last year.

Last year Miami started the season at #8 and got blown out by LSU in their first game.

VT was #13 last year and lost by 14 to Old Dominion.

BC was ranked last year and then got blown out by Purdue.

Say what you want about the SEC teams that are ranked, but aside from perhaps Florida, each of them have either proven themselves with success in recent years(Bama and Georgia) or big wins this season(LSU and Auburn). What ACC team besides Clemson has had even one major OOC win in the last 2 years?

Re: 1969 says hello!

Sep 9, 2019, 7:49 PM [ in reply to 1969 says hello! ]

Looks like an SEC year where we all just beat each other up and our champion was so badly exhausted from that rigorous schedule that 50 years later they still haven't won another championship of any kind .

DB23

Why do you hate Clemson so much?***

Sep 9, 2019, 8:43 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

cause beloved dookies got throttled by bama

Sep 9, 2019, 9:07 PM

so bob is taking it out on us.

and to think he wanted to be my latex salesman

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Sep 9, 2019, 8:53 PM

Let's wait until week 8. By no means do I think the acc has multiple national title contenders, however I dont think it's nearly as bad as the early rankings imply. So far thror hasnt been a conference member take a terrible ooc loss, which is better than previous seasons.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Sep 14, 2019, 7:20 AM

Is it time to revisit this thread now that Wake beat one of the acc’s “teams to watch” this year, and Kansas.....yes, I said Kansas went into BC the throttled them?

Sep 14, 2019, 7:48 AM

UVA will be!

Sep 14, 2019, 8:51 AM

I’d agree personally that UVA looks ok this year. But when they beat FSU today, what does that really tell us? Not much.

Sep 14, 2019, 9:28 AM

When the season is all said and done it will show the ACC has been under-ranked and the SEC has been over-ranked.........once again..........some things never change..........Go Tigers!!!!!

Sep 14, 2019, 10:05 AM

I’d agree with that. Someone will emerge as a decent team in the ACC. Probably UVA, definitely CU. And I’d also agree that the SEC as usual is over rated, but does have some proven good teams.

To be fair, I think the B1G east division is by far the hardest division in CFB, and they don’t get half the love the SEC gets. The SEC love affair has got to stop at some point.

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic