Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hoops Game crowd...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Hoops Game crowd...

Nov 12, 2017, 3:12 PM

is pathetic. Students, alums and fans alike. Guess I’m part of the problem but Charleston is a long way to go for a hoops game.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There are always the same excuses.

Nov 12, 2017, 3:15 PM

Football season, exams, weather, game time, barometric pressure, Obama, Trump, etc.

At some point, Clemson fans need to decide to support basketball. I understand this is an early season game against a blah opponent, but when recruits compare this to what they see at peer conference schools, they can’t help but be concerned. Yet our fans expect our coaches to work miracles.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

don’t disagree but there is simply

Nov 12, 2017, 3:22 PM

Not much buzz for this team or Brownell. I was fortunate to be a student during the Rick Barnes years and that place was full and rocking on most nights.

I think Brownell either has to make the tourney or sign Zion to keep his job after this year. Otherwise we will see more apathy and even more empty seats next year, if that’s possible.

I agree.

Nov 12, 2017, 3:27 PM

The coaches and players certainly have to give fans something to cheer for and be excited about. Honestly, we haven’t been bad at all under Brownell. Well above our historical average, and extremely competitive when you consider that we are in almost every game - even those we shouldn’t be based on talent. Unfortunately, we haven’t won quite enough.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: I agree.

Nov 12, 2017, 3:40 PM

We have reduced the size of the John twice in the last 15 years

Agreed, but I'm afraid it's just a sign of the times.

Nov 12, 2017, 3:43 PM

At least in part, and particularly for students. Years ago, going to a football or basketball game was the only thing to do - a break from the monotony of school, something most students looked forward to. Nowadays, there are many more cheap, easy entertainment options. Plus, back in the day, if you wanted to see a game, you had to actually go to the game; now you can watch every one in your pajamas on your laptop.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Agreed, but I'm afraid it's just a sign of the times.

Nov 12, 2017, 3:56 PM

Also they play a lot of video games

Funny thing is... they gave away like 4 of the latest video game

Nov 12, 2017, 7:07 PM [ in reply to Agreed, but I'm afraid it's just a sign of the times. ]

consoles (along with 2 50 inch TVs and 2 $1000 gift cards) at the WCU game.

Promoting students to stay at home/dorm to play video games or watch TV lol

Re: Hoops Game crowd...

Nov 12, 2017, 4:46 PM

I am an alum and bought season basketball tickets for over 35 years. I drove from Greenville to Clemson no matter the visiting team, time or weather even if it meant having to leave work early or getting home at 12 at night. Twice Clemson has moved my seating assignment to worse seating. The last time was last year (the first time when Clemson experimented by moving students behind the Clemson bench). Last year I had to look at many empty seats because of students not attending or rich alumini (who were given the option to buy many seats) not attending games. I still have football season tickets but Clemson has made it clear they don't care about alums who have supported the basketball program for many years. You treat people badly and attendance will suffer.

Re: Hoops Game crowd...

Nov 12, 2017, 5:39 PM

I've supported the basketball program from 1955 through the 2013-14 season through IPTAY and attending almost all of the home games. When they went to the seat equity plan, I lost interest. Lack of attendance was a big problem and an inducement to attend should have been the main focus. Instituting the seat equity plan seemed more of a penalty rather than an inducement.

Firing the coach is not going to solve the problem. No "name coach" is going to come to Clemson, and, if we continue to hire nd fire coaches, it will be a continuous problem. We will have a few good years, by our standard of "good", and many "so-so" years. I'm not attempting to paint a negative picture but it is what it is. Brownell appears to be making incremental improvements re recruiting, and if he can continue this trend, perhaps, we will see an improvement in our win/loss record down the road. This will demand patience, something that most of us have in short supply.

Since I no longer support the team with my attendance, I plan, in the future, to withhold my criticism of our basketball program.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thank Brownell and Drad***

Nov 12, 2017, 6:55 PM

Most fans don't believe in our team yet.

Nov 12, 2017, 7:11 PM

I think we will be solid this years. Fans will start to notice.

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic