Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Honest Recruiting Question
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1

Honest Recruiting Question

Feb 6, 2013, 8:44 PM

First of all, I would like to say that I'm very pleased with our class. Sure we missed a couple big names near the end, but we also landed a couple big names. I think this class is very solid top to bottom and addressed some major needs.

Now to my question.. It kind of hit me earlier today that a few Tiger fans, and even a few Clemson bloggers, etc. that we tend to follow seem to be contradictory on their recruiting thoughts. On one hand, they are disappointed with a class like this one that doesn't include a big name (Lawson, Adams, etc.). They seem to blame Dabo and crew for not 'closing'. On the other hand, they turn around and say that programs like Auburn and Ole Miss have dirty recruiting practices and boosters. (I fully believe that these things are taking place as well.) But my question is: If we, as Clemson fans, feel that Dabo and crew run a clean program, and that we get recruits because of the family atmosphere, tradition, and whatever is in these hills that we love, how do we expect him to compete with money? How do people question Dabo's closing/recruiting ability with some big name guys if we think some programs are offering cash? I just don't think we can say 'man we really blew it closing on that guy, but he went to Auburn/Ole Miss/(insert here) because they are obviously handing out the dough.'

Thoughts?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: you are expecting logic and consistency

Feb 6, 2013, 8:57 PM

Not found here. I think most are excited about a great class. However, we are also a bit greedy and would have liked just a bit more. The rumor and insinuations about ole miss are just that. It does look odd but so have some of our past classes.
When you go for the really big fish, you are going to miss on more than you hit. Just because a kid chose someone else over us doesn't mean they were paid. Might make some feel better to think so, but doesn't make it true.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You know you've raised a real tiger fan when you ask your son what he wants his cub scout pinewood derby car to be and he says a Tiger!

I really think it is a great class that fulfills our needs.

Feb 6, 2013, 9:01 PM

I think we should appreciate the coaches, recruiting staff who gave us another top 15 class. Go Tigers!!! We have a great team!

If they are really playing dirty, then it will always make

Feb 6, 2013, 9:19 PM

it hard to compete.....but that is a slippery slope. You know that UNC and NCSU will be saying that about us too. We just flipped several of their boys right before signing. I know and agree that Ole Miss and Auburn stinks to high heaven with potential violations, but until the NCAA says so, then not much you can do. I guess the only thing you can do is recruit even harder, coach them up, S&C and discipline. Kudos to this staff

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson Football, the glory days are here!

Re: If they are really playing dirty, then it will always make

Feb 6, 2013, 9:51 PM

I was thinking the same thing. Guys around the league are going to look at some last minute flips we landed and wonder aloud too. While Ole Miss landed a massive class for little success last year, can't really make much in the way of accusations without any facts backing it up.

I read on here a lot and don't post too often but I gotta say that the results today were better than I could have hoped. You can't win them all, but we filled some massive gaps that we were needing heading into the coming year. I think this class will only add to the solid team and atmosphere that Dabo is creating in the valley we all love so much. He is making a foundation for what will help Clemson be an perennial force.

I think it's the type of players we bring in

Feb 6, 2013, 9:26 PM

we barely have any disipline issues and when they arrive Dabo let's everyone know they are replaceable. The players we have/will be on our roster, have integrity and a worker attitude, something you may not find from players that except benefits. Usually the players that want cash and gifts expect everything to be given to them and quite frankly can't handle adversity and lack of heart. Look at the CFA Bowl our players NEVER gave up even though we were down by 2 scores midway through the 4th.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Re: Honest Recruiting Question

Feb 6, 2013, 9:38 PM

You are right,but the problems in college football is about to get worse with the NCAA steping down as the only entity that gave some sort of boundaries to stop cheating. These are the main issues that face college NOW! 1.Steroids looming large over programs.2.Clear Academic enforcement.3.Early signing period.If they can take care of the first one with strict penalties (ex)year suspension 2nd offence permanantly banned from college football.Its very evident now that college football has a problem with steroids and is at epidemic levels now.http://espn.go.com/ncf/conversations/_/id/8765531/steroids-loom-major-college-football-report-says

Replies: 6
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic