Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Shaq Smith
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Shaq Smith

Oct 11, 2017, 7:39 PM

What’s the deal? From 5-star recruit to redshirting his first year to “get his body right” and “learn the system” to “a great spring game” this year to now - 4th man on the depth chart at WLB.

With all these true freshman getting snaps, (some of which I was surprised didn’t take their redshirts), I wonder what’s going on with Shaq. His film from high school was just as good as Tre Lamar’s. I hope we get to see him climb the depth chart as the season progresses. I can’t recall a single memorable play of his from this year yet.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Shaq Smith

Oct 11, 2017, 7:41 PM

Shaq apparently didn’t play in a very sophisticated system in hs. More of the see ball get ball instead of playing an actual position.

He’s essentially learning how to play linebacker from reports I’ve read

Oct 11, 2017, 7:44 PM

His play on the special teams coverage has been very good , but I think and expect that he is waiting his turn at the LB rotation ...for we are indeed .... Too Deep .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Oct 11, 2017, 9:39 PM

Dug lives! Good to see you’re alive & well man. And yes, agreed. So fn crazy that we have talent like Smith on the 4-deep. I feels like yesterday when the hopes of our entire team relied upon 4 players alone!

Oct 11, 2017, 9:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Shaq Smith ]

He went to IGM academy. I'm sure they taught more than see the ball get the ball lol

Oct 11, 2017, 9:39 PM

Lol.

Venables said he had a great summer but

Oct 11, 2017, 7:43 PM

had a couple injuries in August and wasn’t able to practice much.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just relax man

Oct 11, 2017, 7:47 PM

He's still a red-shirt freshman. O'Daniel was a similarly rated guy (#99 in composite for O'Daniel vs. #82 for Smith) and he's now making his mark as a red-shirt senior. These are athletic freaks but still kids learning how to diagnose plays and play the linebacker position at the next level. For some, it's a larger transition than it is for others depending on what they've been taught growing up.

Just relax and let the process take its course. Smith is going to be a heck of a player, just chill out and let the system work.

Re: Just relax man

Oct 11, 2017, 9:37 PM

You told me to relax twice and chill out in your reply. I promise I wasn’t tearing my hair out or hyperventilating when I asked lol. But I like your take. :)

Oct 11, 2017, 7:48 PM

Dabo has gone over this many many times. Every player is different. Every player learns at a different pace. Some come already assembled out of the box and some come in 200 pieces that have to be put together. Vic Beasley didn't start until his 4th year at Clemson. Give Shaq some time. He will get there.

Oct 11, 2017, 7:50 PM

He's halfway through his redshirt FRESHMAN year. Give the kid a break his time will come.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 11, 2017, 7:56 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPEcDg6mUsM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Oct 11, 2017, 9:41 PM

Everyone thinks a question = panic today. ??

Assuming he moves to DE if Wilkins, Ferrell, and Bryant

Oct 11, 2017, 8:11 PM

go pro.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Holy Cow

Oct 11, 2017, 9:04 PM

Nothing wrong with wondering what's going on with a player, especially a redshirt freshman for 5*. But, calm down bro. He's a kid who's probably working really hard to get better.

There's nothing "wrong" with him. Just like there was nothing "wrong" with Dorian O'Daniel his RS Freshman year.

Dabo has addressed this. The only thing amiss is that fans get impatient. It's not where you start, but where you finish that matters.

I think Shaq Smith develops into a big-time All-American LB before he ultimately gets drafted into the NFL.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Holy Cow

Oct 11, 2017, 9:18 PM

Prime example was Tony Steward. Didn't have the early success that most probably expected from a top prospect, but ended up making an impact. Also he had a stint in the NFL.

Re: Holy Cow

Oct 11, 2017, 9:54 PM [ in reply to Holy Cow ]

I am calm. This is about as calm as it gets actually. And I didn’t even use the word “wrong” or imply it for that matter - just curious what the deal was / is. All reports from the spring pointed towards Shaq getting significant snaps... and according to Brandon Rink, Shaq Smith has gotten a total of 17 snaps through week 6 (whereas J.D. Davis has logged 117, Jalen Williams has logged 115, and Chad Smith has logged 67).

It isn’t unreasonable or unfounded to ponder what the reason is that Shaq hasn’t progressed moreso than he has considering his 5-stars, his coming from IMG, participating in power hour, AND redshirting his freshman year. I’m by no means questioning him or attacking, anything but actually. I just wanted to pose the question.

But cheers to all the “relax man” replies. I feel great now.

Vic Beasley was a late bloomer who found his position late

Oct 11, 2017, 9:22 PM

And have to say Beasley did all right for himself and the team ...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Vic Beasley was a late bloomer who found his position late

Oct 11, 2017, 10:02 PM

Beasley was also a 225lb TE 3-star recruit out of high school also, not exactly apples to apples.

Dorian O’Daniel is a better comparison, as stated earlier in the thread, but even then, it’s different. He was 6’ 205lbs out of high school, played a lot of running back. Shaq was a solid 6’3.5” 240 before he ever put the hat on his head. And if it’s an injury that’s limited him to 17 snaps by October, there hasn’t been much talk to it.

Regardless, it’s a worthy question. Go Tigers!

Re: Relax man. CC has them eating out of his hand tonight***

Oct 11, 2017, 9:50 PM

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic