Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #42 'Tough times for Hootie'
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #42 'Tough times for Hootie'

May 13, 2020, 8:21 AM

LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #42 'Tough times for Hootie'

TigerNet will be posting several historic Clemson photos during this difficult time with no Clemson sports. Long-time TigerNet member Mintaka ® submitted many o Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, my freshman year. I remember seeing "I'm Hootin' for

May 13, 2020, 8:26 AM

HOOTIE!" bumper stickers, and thinking, naw, no way in Heyall am I putting one of those things on my '65 Mustang fastback.

If only I knew then what I know now, I would have hid that car in a barn instead of selling it for about nothing. *Sigh*

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yep, my freshman year. I remember seeing "I'm Hootin' for

May 13, 2020, 11:35 AM

When Hootie was our coach, we had a weekly meeting where Hootie gave a recap of the most recent game. I believe we were meeting in the former Ramada Motel. We had played NC State the previous Saturday and they had put a whipping on the Tigers in the first half. The Wolfpack was using a short pass in the flat and the completion rate was about 100%. Hootie said we had out-played them in the second half but there was no way to defend the short pass State was using. Hootie failed to mention State was using their reserves during the second half. When it came time for questions, I asked Hootie if the short pass was unstoppable, why were we not using it. I don't remember his response but several of those sitting near me said they had planned to ask the same question.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 13, 2020, 6:29 PM

Unstoppable is one thing. Doable quite another. I remember walking into the voting precinct in November, 1972 (my frosh year). Who comes walking out? Hootie Ingram. I asked him how he was doing and he said fine with a big smile. I think, even as a naive freshman, that I sensed he probably wasn't all that thrilled with his situation. Didn't he become Commissioner of the ACC or some such position?

May 13, 2020, 11:47 PM

Hootie left after my Redshirt sophomore season and became the Assistant Commissioner of the SEC. Following that stint he becomes the AD at Florida State and left FSU to become the AD at his alma mater ALABAMA. He retired from that position.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 13, 2020, 7:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Yep, my freshman year. I remember seeing "I'm Hootin' for ]

I met one of Hootie's players in VA a few years ago, and he had nothing good to say about him. He told me about the NC State game that Joe mentioned. He said they were losing 35-7 at the half, and Hootie and Whitey came in the locker room laughing like they were up by 4 TDs. That guy told me he beat in his locker with his helmet he was so mad.

He said State had a great run defense but a poor pass defense, and Clemson had not thrown the ball the first half. He said he lit into Hootie about not passing, and Hootie said they would pass the second half. My friend said they came out throwing and scored on the first two possessions to make the score 35-21. He said they stopped throwing at that point for some unknown reason and didn't score again.

That guy played under Hootie for two years and said he was the worst coach ever. I certainly didn't disagree with him.

May 13, 2020, 11:50 PM

I bet I know who (player wise) you’re talking about!!! I was there......,,,

Re: TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #42 'Tough times for Hootie'

May 13, 2020, 8:35 AM

I never understood where we got him from nor why. Polar opposite of Dabo. Bland, low key, no vision program wise nor football wise. Field position football where maybe we can get a long field goal. YOu would have to work to have less imagination offensively than him. We have never made a worse HC hire during my life though Hatfield and West come very close

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 13, 2020, 8:38 AM

He punted on 3rd down numerous times.

This was because his offense had lost so much yardage on the 2 previous downs.

I did not make that up.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: His top win

May 13, 2020, 8:44 AM

Beat a highly ranked Duke team 3-0 in Richmond. Duke went on to lose the balance of their games that season and finish around .500. Lost CU homecoming to a good AUburn team 40 some to nothing.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: His top win

May 14, 2020, 12:09 AM

Yes we did. But Duke was good in those days. The last of their really good teams after integration of ACC football. We had 2 or 3 black players on the team in that year at most.

May 13, 2020, 11:54 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #42 'Tough times for Hootie' ]

Your statement is NOT true. I played for Hootie 3 years.

How'd we get Hootie?

May 13, 2020, 8:51 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #42 'Tough times for Hootie' ]

As I recall Frank Howard believed he had a deal with Bill Peterson to leave FSU and come to Clemson as his replacement. Peterson is the guy who brought FSU to major college football during his ten year tenure in Tallahassee. He ran a pro style offense, had some great QBs and receivers, was the first FSU coach to beat Florida and took FSU to several bowl games. He had a great staff at FSU including Bobby Bowden.

I think that after Coach Howard announced his retirement, Peterson for some unknown reason backed out of coming to Clemson, instead taking the job at Rice. Coach Howard was a great man who put Clemson on the map and he always had something to say before and after he quit coaching. It may be that Peterson did not want to work in Howard's shadow.

I believe Hootie was a last minute grab to get a coach, almost any coach hired and in place. Obviously Coach Ingram was not the guy we needed. I will give him credit for being the only head coach I know of who decided on his own to quit when he realized he was not the guy for the job.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How'd we get Hootie?

May 14, 2020, 12:06 AM

No!!!! Several incorrect statement in your comment. Bobby Bowden was never an assistant at FSU. He left WVU as head coach and became the HC at FSU.

May 14, 2020, 12:03 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #42 'Tough times for Hootie' ]

Hootie was the top defensive co-ordinator in the country at that time. Arkansas under Frank Broyles who led the nation in several categories. He was an Alabama All American player & Graduate. That was important to Coach Howard as he was a former Alabama player & grad. Hootie was a great defensive coordinator. Didn’t know how to teach offense even though he hired some great assistant offensive i aches who went on to become Head Coaches at the Division I level. We lacked the offensive lineman (and size on the defensive front) and, most importantly, depth. Also, we had average speed. That came after Red was named HC. Charlie Pell was the one who took recruiting to another level. He also taught Clemson football how to win! Then Danny took it to another level.

May 13, 2020, 8:46 AM

Didn't he stop the tradition of running down the hill? Worst football coach we've ever had.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em - The Webb Wilder credo

May 13, 2020, 8:57 AM

Yep and seemed proud of himself for doing it

May 13, 2020, 10:09 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #42 'Tough times for Hootie' ]

He also brought us the PAW.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 14, 2020, 12:10 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #42 'Tough times for Hootie' ]

True, he stopped it but he also reinstated it!

May 14, 2020, 12:51 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #42 'Tough times for Hootie' ]

Didn't he stop the tradition of running down the hill? Worst football coach we've ever had.

We stopped running down the hill because we moved out of Fike Fieldhouse after the 1970 football season. I remember we moved into Jervey during the winter of 70-71 so during the 1971 football season we didn’t have the need to leave Fike and walk down the street to the hill to enter the stadium any longer. And, most people & fans forget that when we ran down the hill in those days it was nothing like it is today! Death Valley was about 44,000 capacity and we never filled it except for Carolina game. Hardly any fans in the stadium when we ran down the hill. Thanks to Ben ANDERSON and Bobby Johnson, they convinced Hootie to allow us to drive around the stadium in buses for the Carolina game in 1972. USC was favored and we whipped their ##### in an upset. We’ve run down the hill ever since to a fully packed and excited Tiger crowd. That’s when the real tradition started!!

May 13, 2020, 9:28 AM

I remember the Hootie Ingram and Red Parker years well That is when the team began dressing for games in the locker room in the stadium. And for a number of years, the team did not enter the stadium by running down the hill. I remember feeling sorry for those players who missed out on the excitement of the hill!!

May 14, 2020, 12:55 AM

When Ref arrived we always ran down the hill!

May 14, 2020, 12:58 AM

Red arrived we always ran down the hill after driving around the stadium in buses.

Hootie was a highly regarded DC at

May 13, 2020, 9:31 AM

Ark. when they were in the old Southwest Conference. He went on to be AD at Fla. State and Alabama and held some sort of big job within the SEC.

Too bad ole Red didn't do much better.***

May 13, 2020, 9:33 AM

Re: Too bad ole Red didn't do much better.***

May 13, 2020, 9:45 AM

That's right, but Red brought in Fuller and a ton of talent.

Re: Too bad ole Red didn't do much better.***

May 14, 2020, 12:16 AM

We started recruiting Fuller before Red arrived. Red’s coaches and recruiters were
the ones who signed him.

Red could recruit. He built the 11-1 1978 team***

May 13, 2020, 10:54 AM [ in reply to Too bad ole Red didn't do much better.*** ]

That band is a bunch of coots and they suck anyway***

May 13, 2020, 9:52 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: That band is a bunch of coots and they suck anyway***

May 13, 2020, 1:53 PM

For those of us who lived through the end of Howards career and Hootie Dabo makes me feel like I died and went to heaven. Don't give Hootie credit for the Paw he just happened to be there when it was adopted.

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic