Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Quarterback is what we need ___ ( on the Basketball Team*)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1,805

Quarterback is what we need ___ ( on the Basketball Team*)

Feb 17, 2019, 10:14 AM

We don't have a "quarterback" on the basketball team,so to speak -- every good basketball team has a guard ( AKA quarterback ) that can get the ball down court,set up a play,drive the lane, and run the show ( calling a play he sees open?? ) --that's our missing link** __ Mitchell & Reed both lose the ball way to often trying,when the other team applies pressure __ ball handling has been a key issue in the close loss games -- we miss Gabe Devoe -- late in the tight games,we all know when a time out is called, ____ ( the play called is -- Reed will get the ball and try to drive for points or draw a foul,even if 3 defenders converge on him ?? - this usually ends up a turn over,more than not ??

Not trying to stir up a hornets nest,just saying, I feel like a good ball handling guard (aka quarterback) would have won us several more games this season,so far -- the young guys,we have now, seem to be more interested in putting on a ""cute behind the back dribble or through the legs dribble"" show,instead of watching what they are doing ??

we will have to win or lose with what we have this year __ but I'm hoping Coach Brownell can find a really good ball handler,that wants to "quarterback" the Clemson basketball team next year??

GO TIGERS !!!!!!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Quarterback is what we need ___ ( on the Basketball Team*)

Feb 17, 2019, 10:16 AM

Like "The General" Sherman Douglas? Anyway, we have some good guards coming in. I like where we are going with the guard situation moving forward. We need some bigs to commit for 2020.

Feb 17, 2019, 10:41 AM

I agree. I really think Mitchell was supposed to be that guy and could have been. He seems to have good court sense and can be a really good distributor. But to me it looks like his knees bother him and impact his play more than maybe we know. Especially his explosiveness to the basket. Maybe Dawes coming in next year. Trapp if he can cut down on the bad turnovers. Newman if he can continue to develop. A lot of ifs but maybe some good pieces to work with.

His name is Al-Amir Dawes.

Feb 17, 2019, 10:53 AM

Four star, top 100 recruit who is a hard-nosed PG from the New York metropolitan area who scores and distributes. I personally think he is underrated despite being a 4 star.

He will be the vocal team leader/QB starting early in his career. That is one reason why Brownell recruited him (not just because he’s a very good basketball player).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: His name is Al-Amir Dawes.

Feb 17, 2019, 11:27 AM

I think Chase Hunter is way underrated too. I realize he is a combo guard, but I think in the end he will be the overall best of the 3 guards we sign. You can tell he starting to mature and has great skills. Like all 3 guards we have lined up.

Feb 17, 2019, 12:05 PM

All I do know about current situation is that Mitchell takes 7-9 seconds off the clock shuffleing up the court on most possessions. Not a point guard. And we totally miss pick and rolls by our guards, or maybe that's not part of our DNA.

Feb 17, 2019, 12:06 PM [ in reply to Re: His name is Al-Amir Dawes. ]

All I do know about current situation is that Mitchell takes 7-9 seconds off the clock shuffleing up the court on most possessions. Not a point guard. And we totally miss pick and rolls by our guards, or maybe that's not part of our DNA.

Well, Mitchell was

Feb 17, 2019, 12:13 PM

Much more than adequate last year. He's not chopped liver. He may be hurt, yes. So was Reed. I believe Thomas was sidelined early this season, too. That hasn't helped the team...the record, or the chemistry/continuity. Then losing players that were supposed to hit the court, only added to the issues.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Well, Mitchell was

Feb 17, 2019, 12:24 PM

Mitchell was all ACC Tournament last year. He has started to look better last couple of games.

Feb 17, 2019, 12:12 PM [ in reply to Re: His name is Al-Amir Dawes. ]

Dawes goes the same high school as Kyrie Irving attended. Kyrie has worked with the present players and helped them develop. He sponsors a holiday tournament each year in New York featuring his school against other top teams in the metro area. I saw (on tv) the game this year. Dawes is a very polished player but he wasn’t a big scorer in the game that I saw but he does appear to be fundamentally sound. Having a kid from the big city will be a plus for the Tigers as he will bring the skills the OP suggested. This is a real good catch for Coach Brownell .... I think.

9 years into it and we still don't have the right pieces in

Feb 17, 2019, 12:57 PM

place and it's always wait til next year. That seems to be the familiar refrain.

To paraphrase John Fogerty, next year never comes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 9 years into it and we still don't have the right pieces in

Feb 17, 2019, 2:51 PM

The basketball team's problem is Brad is just very very unlucky. He is a high caliber guy and is a Clemson guy, and we all like him, but the football team used to lose games like that until Dabo and now we win those. I've seen Brad call time out with the lead and 3 seconds left to set up some sort of play, and couldn't get the ball in and lost. Just like the other night, he called for them to foul instead of shooting a 3 and it lead to a victory by NC State, This last game, that shot would not have gone in 999,999 times out of a million. But it did against us.

Feb 17, 2019, 3:01 PM

where is our toughness? we let the other team impose their will on us!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 12
| visibility 1,805
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic