Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
His Name was Cannon Hinnant...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 56
| visibility 1

His Name was Cannon Hinnant...

Aug 14, 2020, 7:53 AM

#cannonhinnant

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: His Name was Cannon Hinnant...

Aug 14, 2020, 7:57 AM

Terrell Kent
Dante Salvador

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 14, 2020, 8:01 AM

Little kids are murdered all of the time sadly. How many kids were murdered in the US this past year? There are some sick people out there.

Aug 14, 2020, 8:32 AM

Not exactly. Little kids get KILLED all the time. Not executed at point blank range in their front yard, in front of their 6 and 8 year old siblings by a neighbor.

Aug 14, 2020, 8:36 AM

They die in all kinds of sick fashions. Kids have been killed in front of their siblings many a time. It's awful. What I want to know is, was the guy schizophrenic? Was it a racist crime? What is the story here?

Aug 14, 2020, 9:58 AM

I read your posts here all the time. You seem like a decent guy and I'm sure you are. I would caution you against posting things that suggests you're dismissive of this. "Kids die all the time." The bigger point to the outrage over this (have you noticed nothing has been burnt to the ground or looted?) is the double standard (and let's not pretend there isn't one). When the circumstances are different no one cares about the specifics - was he just a good cop who overrated? Was the cop having personal problems that contributed to his actions? In fact, in some of those cases no one even cares about the truth. Remember Michael Brown? To this day his name is tossed around as an example of police murder despite the cop being justified by the Obama Justice Dept. In those cases it's about advancing a false narrative.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All aminals are equal

Aug 14, 2020, 4:28 PM

but some animals are more equal than others

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Keep up the good work.

Aug 14, 2020, 8:36 AM [ in reply to Re: His Name was Cannon Hinnant... ]

Maybe if we keep hashtag Cannon trending, we can track down and apprehend the murderer.

so similar to the cop who killed George Floyd?

Aug 14, 2020, 8:40 AM

He's been arrested...let's move on.

Just making sure that's the way it's supposed to work.

To be clear, I think it is ridiculous for people to keep going on and on about this execution. It's tragic. But they are just trying to prove a point, which I think you just made.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: so similar to the cop who killed George Floyd?

Aug 14, 2020, 8:46 AM

It's different to them because this is an isolated issue and it's not law enforcement. The reason why they freak about Floyd is not because of that one incident.

that's not at all what I'm saying...

Aug 14, 2020, 8:53 AM

I'm not even comparing the two situations.

If somebody wants, to shed light on this terrible tragedy because they think it is being ignored then the normal reaction should be, "yes that's horrible."

No need to add the other commentary.

What makes it even worse are comments about it that have been posted like "blew his little white privileged brains out" on Twitter.

Now I'm not going to assume what our friend meant by the Ts and Ps response, I was feeling it may have been sarcastic, but I don't know. The snarky reply about whether or not they will find the killer seems to build on my suspicions.

Re: that's not at all what I'm saying...

Aug 14, 2020, 8:56 AM

"What makes it even worse are comments about it that have been posted like "blew his little white privileged brains out" on Twitter."

That is so awful. I blame the media to an extent and the liberal college profs for bringing on a lot of this. They are reckless.

This kid's murder is depraved and

Aug 14, 2020, 4:34 PM [ in reply to that's not at all what I'm saying... ]

sick and is one of the few cases that I hear about that makes me question my stance on the death penalty. Still not sure why it's become a cause for many of my conservative friends, although I suspect, given the number of "if this had been a black kid and a white junkie the liberals would be going crazy," it's got less to do with any legitimate love for this kid. There are 1500 children murdered in the US every year. And this one is awful, but probably not anymore awful than any of the others to the people who love them.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don’t forget the babies murdered in the womb!***

Aug 15, 2020, 8:15 AM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This kid's murder is depraved and

Aug 15, 2020, 8:42 AM [ in reply to This kid's murder is depraved and ]

It has less to do with the love for the kid in the same way rioting, assault, arson, vandalism, and looting have to do with any love of George Floyd. It rears the head of an ugly double standard.

Re: so similar to the cop who killed George Floyd?

Aug 14, 2020, 8:47 AM [ in reply to so similar to the cop who killed George Floyd? ]

Definitely the same thing.

You seem mighty dismissive***

Aug 14, 2020, 8:54 AM

Very.

Aug 14, 2020, 8:57 AM

Probably because of stuff like this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_police_reforms_related_to_the_George_Floyd_protests

But I mean, hey maybe you and SEC are actually advocating for serious reform. Y'all going to go protest for making it harder to own a firearm? Maybe some mental health reform? Or as up in arms as you are about this, do you want no change whatsoever?

so wait....

Aug 14, 2020, 9:02 AM

before you lead me down this road on an issue that I am empathetic toward, you are agreeing that you are being dismissive, very dismissive of this child being killed.

Because I've given the social justice a platform for months and continue to. I'm listening to that.

So, we're done with talking about the kid? Just making sure.

Here, take some time in the spotlight. You have the floor.

Re: so wait....

Aug 14, 2020, 9:07 AM

I'm dismissive of the idea that this is on the same level as George Floyd. Enjoy your break.

Re: Keep up the good work.

Aug 14, 2020, 8:47 AM [ in reply to Keep up the good work. ]

Interesting you don't anything about the suspect. Could it be because CNN only tweeted about it 5 days after it happened?

Aug 14, 2020, 8:52 AM

Probably. Maybe now I do something about the suspect.

Aug 14, 2020, 8:58 AM [ in reply to Re: Keep up the good work. ]

So what do we now know about the suspect that is important? What are the details?

It's terrible, no doubt.

Aug 14, 2020, 9:16 AM [ in reply to Re: His Name was Cannon Hinnant... ]

I can't even comprehend what his parents are going through, or the trauma to his siblings. Thankfully, they got the SOB who did it.

What sucks so much is that violence against children usually comes from someone close to them; really, the world out there isn't that dangerous to them. Think about how much we used to just run wild and play in our neighborhoods.

Sadly, incidents like this make everyone rethink the world.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Aug 14, 2020, 11:36 AM [ in reply to Re: His Name was Cannon Hinnant... ]

It was horrific. My heart goes out to the parents. I can't even imagine what they must be feeling right now.

It won't bring the parents their dead child back, but the accused perpetrator has already been arrested and barring some sort of legal disaster, justice will be done and he will spend the rest of his life in prison - or even face the death penalty if the court can prove premeditation.

So...where are you going with this?

Aug 15, 2020, 8:36 AM

George Floyd’s murderer was arrested too. Let’s burn down everything.

T's & P's***

Aug 14, 2020, 8:12 AM

Why can't Cannon's death and George Floyd's death

Aug 14, 2020, 8:53 AM

both be terrible?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

they are***

Aug 14, 2020, 8:56 AM

Re: Why can't Cannon's death and George Floyd's death

Aug 14, 2020, 9:02 AM [ in reply to Why can't Cannon's death and George Floyd's death ]

What I read, and could be wrong, is that original poster is trying to bring attention to a black guy killing a white kid. If the murderer would have been white he would have never posted. That's why I was wondering what the details of the story are.

Aug 14, 2020, 9:08 AM [ in reply to Why can't Cannon's death and George Floyd's death ]

Seems really odd why some people are harping on some kind of score or equivalency here.

Both are horrific.

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

Aug 14, 2020, 9:09 AM [ in reply to Why can't Cannon's death and George Floyd's death ]

They are both horrible. But why does a story about a single woman calling the cops on a stranger in the park make national news for DAYS, yet this horrible murder with aggravating circumstances barely registers on the national level after 5 days? It makes it easier to understand why fair-minded people think 98% of Hollywood and the "news" media are blatantly biased and pushing an agenda well outside the norms of reporting the news. "Enemy of the people" doesn't sound so crazy anymore.

Aug 14, 2020, 9:11 AM

Because of the history "we" white people have created.

shut up!!!!

Aug 14, 2020, 9:11 AM [ in reply to Re: Why can't Cannon's death and George Floyd's death ]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_police_reforms_related_to_the_George_Floyd_protests

It's a more simple answer than you think.

Aug 14, 2020, 9:18 AM [ in reply to Re: Why can't Cannon's death and George Floyd's death ]

Internet clicks and ratings. Major media outlets know what brings them in, and they cater their stories to it.

It's more of a commentary on our society, sadly.

They are, but only one is an excuse for riots.

Aug 14, 2020, 9:15 AM [ in reply to Why can't Cannon's death and George Floyd's death ]

So that one becomes terribler.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They are, but only one is an excuse for riots.

Aug 14, 2020, 9:20 AM

Not that riots are excusable, but why would the responses be the same? In this case, a little boy was killed by a random POS and he was quickly apprehended to face justice. THAT's the system working. Horrible, yes, but the system is doing its job. What is there to riot.

When a cop kills a man the way George Floyd died, THAT's the system breaking down and harming the people. It's a failure of the system, and when it happens enough, people rebel against it. Again, doesn't excuse riots, but we can't genuinely expect similar responses.

do you think people are expecting protests...

Aug 14, 2020, 9:31 AM

or maybe just a little coverage in the case of the little boy? I don't think anybody wants months of protests. I don't think they want the comparable sensationalism and over-saturation of 24/7 coverage that George Floyd got. I think they just want a little mention of it. Maybe just a little non-click motivated decency.

MOST people I know support, or at least understand the protests.

I'm sure you aren't happy with how our media works. This is simply pointing out how flawed and hypocritical it is.

Re: do you think people are expecting protests...

Aug 14, 2020, 9:39 AM

I don't think people want protests over this little boy; I think what they're trying to call for is equivalency in the response, or arguing that protests over Floyd shouldn't have happened to begin with. But we can't really compare these two incidents, and it's disingenuous to try to do so.

I'm definitely not happy with much of how today's media work, but much of the criticism launched at them isn't fair.

So, the biggest question journalists are supposed to ask before covering a story is, "Who cares?" Once you have the answer to that, you cater your response. For George Floyd, the media know the answer to that question is pretty much the whole #### nation. It's been that way for a few years now. Then once the public's response grew to protests and riots, the national media of course hone in because, well, it's a national response.

For the murder of the little boy, the "who cares" question likely only goes so far. Sure, we all know it's horrible and we'll react to it. If you live in NC or somewhat close by, it's going to hit you harder. But if you live in Seattle, you'll see it and say, "That's awful. Hope they fry the ###### who did it." And eventually, go back to your coffee.

The same way you and I will do the same when we hear that 30 people died in a bombing in Syria or an earthquake killed 70 people in Sri Lanka. We'll acknowledge the horror, but it doesn't take us long to move on.

Is that right? Maybe not. Is it because of the media? Maybe some, but I also think it's just our nature. The news media, for decades now, have conducted focus study after focus study to see what people want. To see "who cares". They know which stories to hammer.

Having spent far too many times covering murders and tragedy myself, including dead children, I've seen a lot of public reaction. For the most part, this stuff stays local because, well, at the end of the day, this #### eventually happens in their neck of the woods too.

Again, I'm not saying it's right. I'm just saying that's how it is.

We are going to disagree on equivalency...

Aug 14, 2020, 9:48 AM

at least, in the way I think you're saying it.

I think there are a lot of people who are sympathetic to the call for police reform and also upset that Floyd was killed but also believe Floyd is not really a worthy martyr.

Police brutality is wrong - yes
Racism is wrong - yes
Floyd's death is a sad tragedy that could hhave been prevented - yes
George Floyd locking arms with MLK Jr., Rosa Parks, and Harriet Tubman - no

Wait, has someone tried to put Floyd...

Aug 14, 2020, 9:56 AM

On the same level as the people you mentioned? Because I haven't seen it.

If you're simply referring to his criminal past, that's missing the message. His past is irrelevant to the situation.

the optics of him being some kind of hero is out there

Aug 14, 2020, 11:30 AM

Biden came under a lot of criticism for saying that Floyd death has had more impact than MLK Jr. assassination, but I think this criticism is unfair. He wasn't comparing the two and his point I believe is correct because of technology today.

I have tried to find a picture that I swear I saw somewhere of MLK, Floyd, and I think Malcolm X embracing. I thought it was at one of his memorial services, but I can't find it. I guess I dreamed it up.

Re: the optics of him being some kind of hero is out there

Aug 14, 2020, 11:34 AM

Okay, yep, the mural will suffice. Yeah, lumping him in there with those figures doesn't work. He was innocent and didn't deserve to die. But he wasn't a civil rights martyr.

Also... is that Lenin in that mural? I mean...

Aug 14, 2020, 4:21 PM [ in reply to Re: do you think people are expecting protests... ]

Exercise bands placed in park in Oakland, CA mistaken for nooses = NATIONAL STORY
5 year old executed in front yard in front of siblings = LOCAL STORY

WOMAN CALLS COPS ON ARGUING STRANGER IN LOCAL NYC PARK = NATIONAL STORY
5 year old executed in front yard in front of siblings = LOCAL STORY

No pattern or anything, just good old, agenda-free, honest reporting.

Aug 14, 2020, 4:25 PM

This has been a huge story. Racists could make a point without lying.

Well, maybe not.

Aug 14, 2020, 4:26 PM [ in reply to do you think people are expecting protests... ]

But I've seen the story all over the place. Why can't anyone explain how this is not getting coverage?

You made the very point I was thinking of. Compared to

Aug 15, 2020, 9:55 AM [ in reply to do you think people are expecting protests... ]

the Floyd situation, media has been virtually silent about this little boy's murder.

George Floyd's death at the hands of overzealous rogue police officers was a tragedy. It was, in fact, murder. But, Floyd's criminal actions were at least responsible for him being in the hands of the police in the first place, he was not a totally innocent bystander. Cannon Hinnant was a small innocent child, whose murder has no apparent roots in any past situation. So, if anything, the outrage over this small white child's death at the hands of a black man, a neighbor, no less, should reach farther than Floyd. Why doesn't it?

Because senseless Black on White crime does not fit the liberal media reporting agenda, that's why. No.other.reason.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I believe the cops with Floyd are in jail now.

Aug 14, 2020, 9:33 AM [ in reply to Re: They are, but only one is an excuse for riots. ]

Charged with murder 2. What more do you want? Seems like the system's working there too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I believe the cops with Floyd are in jail now.

Aug 14, 2020, 9:37 AM

The issue is about constant police brutality and that's the story in their mind. Apples and Oranges

It's just like hitchhiking with the media

Aug 14, 2020, 9:50 AM

People did it for decades until the media covered every single mishap, then people stopped doing it.

The reality of the media is no different for police brutality, racist cops, covid, etc. It isn't reality. If it bleeds it leads, and that's not the way the world is. Sure, there are bad cops, sure there's bad hitchhikers. And your odds of dying in a car wreck by accident are still far and away greater than either happening to you.

Dallas soccer players kneel for anthem...

Aug 14, 2020, 9:54 AM [ in reply to Re: I believe the cops with Floyd are in jail now. ]

crowd chants USA protesting...soccer players offended

Apples and oranges. Or everybody has a right to voice their opinion/protest?

One side wants to be heard. Fine, I'm listening...how long before I can talk again? Because every time I try to say something you (general) start talking about what I've been listening to because they aren't the same thing....

so we just have to shut up and keep listening.

Re: I believe the cops with Floyd are in jail now.

Aug 14, 2020, 9:40 AM [ in reply to I believe the cops with Floyd are in jail now. ]

In this case, yes, but the reaction was two-fold:

1. In Minneapolis, this has apparently been an ongoing problem and it took this incident to fix it.

2. Nationwide, people have hit a tipping point with videos of cops killing unarmed people, and with Floyd, it seemed to be a perfect storm of them having enough of it and a lot of quarantine agitation (I really do think the reaction is different in a non-COVID year).

As a soceity we value one life much greater than the other***

Aug 14, 2020, 4:37 PM [ in reply to They are, but only one is an excuse for riots. ]

Find someone here who said Floyd's death wasn't.

Aug 14, 2020, 11:39 AM [ in reply to Why can't Cannon's death and George Floyd's death ]

Floyd was a real piece of work but that doesn't lessen the horror of his murder.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If he hadn't been white everyone would know his name.***

Aug 14, 2020, 11:37 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been saying for years that white people

Aug 14, 2020, 11:40 AM

never can catch a break in this country. Something's gotta give.

Aug 14, 2020, 5:24 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCi_PIz5ekU

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 56
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic