Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hey wait a second..I thought masks didn't protect the unsick
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 550

Hey wait a second..I thought masks didn't protect the unsick

Apr 1, 2020, 12:58 PM

from the sick? I had no idea that masks can actually change how they work based on profession.

I'm all for everyone wearing a mask, sick or not. But don't tell me it doesn't do any good to keep me from getting sick (i'm looking at you, CDC), and then have nurses say the exact opposite here. The nurses aren't stupid.

https://www.thestate.com/news/coronavirus/article241629551.html

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

probably has something to do with nurses

Apr 1, 2020, 1:00 PM

needing to get closer than 6 feet to do their job

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hey wait a second..I thought masks didn't protect the unsick

Apr 1, 2020, 1:01 PM

Almost as if they just didn't want us to take them all.

So they lied about it?***

Apr 1, 2020, 1:02 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So they lied about it?***

Apr 1, 2020, 1:04 PM

Seems possible.

Apr 1, 2020, 1:04 PM [ in reply to So they lied about it?*** ]

Seems possible.

Apr 1, 2020, 1:07 PM [ in reply to So they lied about it?*** ]

Bought mine early as I knew this was gonna happen, got enough replacement filters and cartridges for the wife and I to last this thing out. Plus I did not find the 2 elastic band N95's to be real good at sealing from years of use working in dust storms(shamals).

If that's what happened, this would be one of the few times

Apr 1, 2020, 1:16 PM [ in reply to So they lied about it?*** ]

I'd be ok with the gubmint lying about something, because it prevented the masses of panicked stupids from hoarding every single mask available at retail (which kinda happened anyway, but still). Actual medical personnel already have a mask shortage. This (possible) lie probably kept it from being far worse.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If that's what happened, this would be one of the few times

Apr 1, 2020, 1:20 PM

Those entities had plenty of lead time to purchase required items in truth. Pee poor planning on others part does not constitute an emergency on my part has served me well over my lifetime.

That too. Sometimes, we gotta learn the hard way.

Apr 1, 2020, 1:25 PM

I bet we don't get caught with our pants down again for most of the shortages around pandemics (masks and ventilators, namely).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Technically, no.

Apr 1, 2020, 1:50 PM [ in reply to So they lied about it?*** ]

They deceived the public but the numbers indicate only partial protection. It's not 100%.

The virus is .02-.03 microns, the N95 filters out 95% of all particles .03 mics and larger. So you get 5% of the .03 mics and much of the .02-.0299 micron particles. No stats on how much of the particles less than .03 mics is known.

Like they say, literally, it will protect others from you but not you from others. I know it's deceptive but it is true.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 1, 2020, 1:16 PM

Not being a jerk, but CT88 and Tiggity....and others drove this straight into the ground yesterday.

They will argue all day long about N95 masks and effectiveness, but then want to tell me to wear a basic cotton mask if possible.

Whatever.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 1, 2020, 1:23 PM

Tiggity is right in that if one reduces the amount of droplets entering or leaving a person it is better than nothing, that was his entire point on simple cotton masks.

Those N95's with elastic bands do okay but I can tell you they are not foolproof. Sucked up way too much dust during shamals to deny it.

Apr 1, 2020, 1:25 PM

Hence my buying rubber half face mask with N95/P100 filters either installed or replacable. Seals good just sound like Darth Vader when talking.

Replies: 13
| visibility 550
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic