Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hey guys. I was wrong about the Iraq War.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 1,057

Hey guys. I was wrong about the Iraq War.

Mar 28, 2019, 1:08 PM

Way back in the day, I spent a lot of time arguing on behalf of the (2003) Iraq War. I had a lot of reasons I thought were clever, and "realistic" but, as it turns out, I was ignorant and full of crap. I unknowingly participated in group-think and my limited mainstream sources caused me to be way overconfident based on narrow, misleading information. I have no excuses other than I was younger, less educated and my brain had not finished developing yet.

If the T-Net search feature wasn't hot garbage you could all find a few of the misguided posts I made all those years ago, but I will fess up to them anyway.

TLDR, I was totally wrong despite my arrogance at the time. I admit it, adjusted and moved on.

I hope it serves as a template for future posts about being wrong about stuff.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When they release the full Mueller Report

Mar 28, 2019, 1:10 PM

and it shows absolutely no obstruction, I'll say I was wrong. Until then I'm gonna wait.

You can remind me if I am wrong.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

You never said Trump colluded?

Oct 3, 2022, 7:08 PM

Because we can all move the goalposts to pretend we are never wrong.

I'll throw a collusion in there too.

Mar 28, 2019, 1:13 PM

If the full report comes out and completely absolves Trump of COLLUSION and obstruction I'll admit I was wrong. Until then I'm waiting.

https://youtu.be/-b71f2eYdTc

Message was edited by: FBCoachSC®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i've been waiting for 2 years for adam schiff to release the

Mar 28, 2019, 1:16 PM

absolute without a doubt eviidence of collusion he has
you can wait a few weeks for this

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

#dickthroat***

Mar 28, 2019, 1:18 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

So we are witnessing pathology in action.

Mar 28, 2019, 1:17 PM [ in reply to I'll throw a collusion in there too. ]

You are not realizing that you have already learned enough to be able to admit that your original package of assumptions were, in their original form, incorrect. If you want to adjust your assumptions, then you have to acknowledge the previous versions.

I still believe Saddam was a bad dude, but I don't think we should have invaded.

I'm not taking the word of the guy appointed by

Mar 28, 2019, 1:23 PM

Trump who has a history of burying corruption of presidents after he took a 700 page report and boiled it down to 4 pages using half a line from the original report.

So you came to that conclusion a long time ago then.

Mar 28, 2019, 1:26 PM

You never had any hope that anything would come from this report that pointed to collusion because you knew it was an inside job the whole time. If I were to scan your posts on the subject, would it be easy for me to tell that was your attitude?

Honestly I didn't know who the AG was until the report came

Mar 28, 2019, 1:30 PM

out. But once I did some googling on who the guy was it made me pause. I read this copy pasta this morning that does a good job of painting some questions.

So like I said, when Mueller's report comes out in full (I'll even take some national security redaction etc) then I'll make a decision. Right now it just seems like something isn't adding up.

Copy Pasta:

It's an "honest" representation if you're a lawyer and expect the wiggling... But to the average lay person, and media, no it's not an honest interpretation at all. The media is especially doing a bad job, because they have lawyers on hand that should be guiding them, but I guess it's too nuanced and complicated to fit into a news cycle explaining it. I suppose they do know, but are focused on squeezing out what they can during this cycle, then once exhausted and congress moves, then they'll pivot over to that drama.

But this report, doesn't exonerate Trump. It only seems that way to a layperson who isn't familiar with legalise. This was a crafted job that a lawyer would do to be technically truthful but clearly misleading. It's a common trick you'll see... For instance, if the person being interviewed says something like, "I think Joe is a decent guy. I personally have no problems with him, but he has been known to cause some relationship friction with others, so I can see why someone would want to hurt him". A lawyer will cut out that quote and ask, "Did did you say on Nov 1, that ' can see why someone would want to hurt him?"' Lawyers will use this quote on a first pass to try and paint the picture... Then when challenged, they start battling it out in other ways... But that's besides the point. The point is, that's a common tactic.

For instance, here he partially quoted Mueller. He literally came in half way through the sentence and began the quote. That first half IS absolutely a significant modifier which is why he left it out. If that first half wasn't a significant negative modifier, and just helped Trump, then he would have kept it in. This is a common lawyer practice... Because the snippet is technically true, it's just lost all context.

“[T]he investigation did not establish that members of the Trump Campaign conspired or coordinated with the Russian government in its election interference activities.”

The bracket T represents the first half is cut off. There is a modifier there, and it doesn't look good, which is why it's cut out. If the first half was, "Trump is absolutely a great guy which is why the investigation did not establish...." They absolutely would have included that to build their case... But they didn't. It's more likely to be something like, "While our findings include a lot of highly troubling and suspicious circumstantial evidence pointing towards some degree of coordination, the investigation did not establish...."

Again, Barr is a veteran lawyer... He knows this game, and speaks the language... There are tons of these sort of instances... Here is one last one, and I'll stop because I don't want to keep going on:

The reports second part addresses "a number of actions by the president, MOST of which have been the subject of reporting..."

This is in regards to obstruction. The report includes other issues around obstruction which the public doesn't know about. I paraphrased because I can't remember the quote perfectly, but he used the word "MOST". Meaning, we the public only know MOST of the stuff surrounding it, not ALL of the issues surrounding it. So there are more things there, which he wont tell us. He tries to dismiss discussing them by saying, "Eh, the public already knows most of the stuff anyways.. so why bother with the rest"

But that's not the super important part... The quote goes on to bring up the key sentence to this whole thing... paraphrased:

"Instead, for each of the relevant actions investigated, the report sets out evidence on both sides of the question, and leaves unresolved what the special counsel views as difficult issues of law and fact concerning whether the president's action and intent can be viewed as obstruction.

This means that there is evidence listed, that the president committed multiple crimes. Mueller basically didn't make a judgement as to the guilt of the president... And just presented evidence. Mueller isn't making a determination because of the difficult issues of law and fact (can you indict a president -- but I'll ignore this part because we can get stuck in some serious weeds here). And Barr is subjectively deciding what he thinks of the evidence. This is like Pelosi being asked if she thinks Hillary's email scandal constitutes any crimes... In Pelosi's personal opinion, of course not.

Then finally, he gives his reasoning for this conclusion... But basically he goes onto list THREE different things which constitute obstructive conduct: Again paraphrased:

Constituted obstructive conduct (like asking a witness to lie or destroy documents), had a nexus to a pending or contemplative proceeding, or was done with criminal intent.

He then goes on to conclude that he didn't believe Trump did ALL three of these things at once, beyond a reasonable doubt. This, again, is where we get hung up on lawyer game. He's basically saying, if two of three of these things were met, Trump is still fine because one of the things can't be determined without a reasonable doubt (since Trump doesn't send emails or leave paper trails it's nearly impossible to find a smoking gun on him). So in theory, Trump could have ordered someone to destroy some documents, but since there were no immediate criminal inquiries at the time he made that order to destroy evidence, it can't be obstruction. He's basically bundling three different measures, and saying so long as one is not proveable beyond a reasonable doubt, then the whole thing is thrown out.

It's late, like I said, I can go on forever... But the whole report is littered with things like this.

If Barr actually thought it was nothing, then he would have gladly and happily been very to the point. He would have said things like, "This report shows conclusively by all measures that the president did not engage in collusion or obstruction, beyond a reasonable doubt... But also we are not sure we can even indict a sitting president to begin with blah blah blah blah". The fact that this thing is loaded with legalise and carefully placed trickery... Shows he's deliberately trying to hide things or misrepresent things.

It's going to slowly come out regardless of the media's reporting on this. This is a slow game. The Democrats know this, and Trump knows this. It'll get untangled over the course of 6 months. But politically, what's going on right now, is Trump with the help of Barr, are formatting the initial narrative before it all comes out. It gives them a chance to do their victory laps. To claim that they are exonerated. The feed their base and supporters what they need to hear, while chilling the democratic base... This is strategically a great move. Because now they can claim victory, and pressure the democrats away from themselves. To claim it's resolved and settled, and anything beyond this is just a witch hunt that never ends.

But it's not over... IT's just began. They got the privilege of setting the stage for this upcoming battle, and set the stage heavily in their favor... So even when things start coming out, they'll still have this moment to fall back on.

Ehhhhhh....***

Mar 28, 2019, 1:49 PM

Re: When they release the full Mueller Report

Mar 28, 2019, 1:37 PM [ in reply to When they release the full Mueller Report ]

I love how much space Trump takes up in your little feeble mind. Its glorious.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So was I but don’t know how I could have helped it when our

Mar 28, 2019, 1:17 PM

intelligence showed WMD.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not invaded.***

Mar 28, 2019, 1:18 PM

you're a russian if you question our intelligence agencies***

Mar 28, 2019, 1:19 PM [ in reply to So was I but don’t know how I could have helped it when our ]

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And.... there was a LOT of political pressure put on

Mar 28, 2019, 1:20 PM

intel assessments. The intelligence was corrupted as a result.

I was 100% opposed and xtiger and others sworn up and down

Mar 28, 2019, 1:29 PM [ in reply to So was I but don’t know how I could have helped it when our ]

that made me a liberal.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well you win. All I can offer is a point.***

Mar 28, 2019, 1:32 PM

You also saw bombers taking off to bomb Iran...

Mar 28, 2019, 1:34 PM [ in reply to I was 100% opposed and xtiger and others sworn up and down ]

so......

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^still looking for Uncle D!ck's aluminium tubes"***

Mar 28, 2019, 1:39 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The C-17's getting in and out of here for the first few

Mar 28, 2019, 2:07 PM [ in reply to You also saw bombers taking off to bomb Iran... ]

years of the war was pretty noticeable. C-17's, C-5's, C-130s, even some NG C-141's was like a never ending stream of military planes.

I'd still like to know how it was a "war for oil"

Mar 28, 2019, 1:23 PM

Did we ever get any oil out of there?

Just more lies from the msm/democrats***

Mar 28, 2019, 1:25 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

Yeah..I just remember seeing a lot of this

Mar 28, 2019, 1:29 PM

Never understood how the war actually benefited anyone

Saddam was a threat to the petrodollar.

When he was removed, that threat decreased.

Also, the military industrial complex made a killing.

Also, we gained a ton of leverage against Iran, another huge threat to the petrodollar.

I could have followed the military industrial complex

Mar 28, 2019, 1:33 PM

lean; that could make sense. I don't see how we've gained any leverage against Iran however.

Physical proximity to Iran, the Persian gulf and we

Mar 28, 2019, 1:34 PM

thought we could prevent the Shia majority from falling into Iran's sphere of influence if we bestowed upon them our superior form of government.

Have we?

Mar 28, 2019, 1:37 PM

We have about 5,500 troops in Iraq now. That's not much of a force.

Oh, I meant at the time. And remember, I'm against it now.

Mar 28, 2019, 1:41 PM

I think we actually LOST leverage against Iran because of our invasion.

I'm talking about the ulterior motives for invading.

It wasn't stealing oil, it was protecting our world reserve currency, which is pegged to OPEC oil.

No, and that was part of the reason I dismissed the protests

Mar 28, 2019, 1:27 PM [ in reply to I'd still like to know how it was a "war for oil" ]

It just seemed too stupidly childish.

Turns out, it was the petrodollar... and that makes all kinds of sense.

Those folks I posted above weren't protesting

"no blood for oil" for a petrodollar.

I know, they had no idea. They were just having fun

Mar 28, 2019, 1:31 PM

playing as hippies. They were accidentally right for the wrong reasons.

They were right about ulterior motives and us being lied to though. So they get credit for that.

There is a lot of revisionism going on about Iraq these days

Mar 28, 2019, 1:58 PM [ in reply to I'd still like to know how it was a "war for oil" ]

The people who are making it out to have been a really obviously bad idea, which really obviously failed, are being just as simplistic as the people who wouldn't brook any dissent about the war back in 2003.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Most of it is politicized, which makes it all a lie.

Mar 28, 2019, 2:21 PM

But, with hindsight, it's pretty clear that the real story of Iraq story is not about ANY of the things we heard about from the Bush Administration (that I voted for even after the invasion)

But it's not a popular thing to talk about because most democrats supported it and the media went balls deep on it. That means there is no obvious political utility so it is not spoon-fed to people to argue about any more.

Do you recall the riddle Ben Franklin posed in his...

Mar 28, 2019, 3:29 PM [ in reply to I'd still like to know how it was a "war for oil" ]

earliest publication, he used a pen name Silence Dogood. He asked if there are five apples and you take three away how many apples do you have. The answer is three.

American have taken everything we have. We took this land from Indians then the crown. Then we took all the Indian's land and put them on reservations. We gave back a miniscule, palsy plot which they now can call their own.

The Bible says that The Lord giveth and The Lord taketh away. Well, He's not the only one. Every nation on earth (generally speaking) occupies land that they took. America taketh and refuseth to give back.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

so now you realize it was all about the Benjamins

Mar 28, 2019, 1:29 PM

along with 11 other tribes

Re: Hey guys. I was wrong about the Iraq War.

Mar 28, 2019, 2:10 PM

I’m sort of the opposite. I was opposed to Afghanistan. Now I’m disgusted we are about to let the Taliban win.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

I supported Afghanistan, and still support the orginal invasion.

Mar 28, 2019, 2:22 PM

The problem in Afghanistan is that we ignored it after we helped kick the Russians out.

Hey guys, I was 100 percent right about the Iraq War

Mar 28, 2019, 2:57 PM

And endured all the BS responses about it on here, including insinuations that I hated America or was somehow treasonous. What I didn't do was gloat about being right on it, because since I was right, that means America really screwed up and we failed. I would have preferred to be wrong. I also didn't make posts that I now realize are just thinly-veiled shots at me about how I responded to the Mueller report. But since reading comprehension eluded you in my post, you failed to see that I admitted it didn't go how I expected it to.

What you also fail to recognize is how many times I said I didn't know what the truth was and that the investigation was necessary, unlike the Trumpies here who wanted it all shut down. And, as I said before, I'd prefer to be wrong on this matter because it's better for America if I am.

Be a man and call me out directly. Don't be a ###### about it. And admit that, unlike others, I'm accepting the report. Thus, being a man about it.

C'mon, man. You seem like a pretty good dude and I admire your posts. Chill. If I'm wrong that you are directing these at me, well, make that clear, because it sure looks like it.

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Relax, it's not at you personally. It's the mentality that

Mar 28, 2019, 3:08 PM

is out there. Your post just happened to be an example that caused me to make general commentary about admitting being wrong and moving goalposts. I mean, think about your post. You are not calling people out directly but obviously referencing stuff you see on here. I don't have to always @ people who may get caught up in my bullsh*t.

Either way, I have nothing against you as an individual. I don't know you. I'm about ideas, not personal stuff. Sometimes ideas clash. It's all in the game. Just shoot back, don't get mad.

And what did you call me? 6 letters? You didn't call me a f@ggot did you? I can't think of another 6 letter insult.

Re: Relax, it's not at you personally. It's the mentality that

Mar 28, 2019, 3:12 PM

Your post came 10 minutes after your response to me. And since (based on browsing a few days) it seems I'm the only one who was come out and stated that the report didn't turn out how I thought it would, it sure seemed directed at me.

I said d o u c h e. Seemed like a douchey vague call out. Guess maybe mine was too. Whatever, let's go drink a beer. Our president sucks ### but I guess he didn't collude, so it is what it is. Cheers.

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Ah. It was D*uche!!!! I can't believe I didn't think of that

Mar 28, 2019, 6:29 PM

Yes of course my post had to do with your's, but think about your post. You were not calling people out directly but your post obviously had to do with something you saw on here.

I have seen a lot of people who were balls deep in Russiagate have a hard time admitting the reality of the situation. So I wasn't trying to make a personal dig at you, but I was responding to the sentiment, that your post reminded me of.

I was definitely being a ######. But it was intentional. You don't have to worry about me undermining you as an individual. Our opinions may clash, and I may be a ###### when I go about expressing that, but I have no desire to insult you personally.

So just assume the next time I say something that pisses you off that I am not attacking you.

Replies: 41
| visibility 1,057
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic