Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ECU fires baseball coach (c/p)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1,543

ECU fires baseball coach (c/p)

Jun 2, 2014, 6:01 PM

GREENVILLE, N.C. — Billy Godwin is out after nine seasons as East Carolina's baseball coach.

Athletic director Jeff Compher said Monday that Godwin's contract will not be renewed.

Godwin was 317-215-1 with five NCAA tournament appearances at the school.

The Pirates were 33-26 this season, finished in a three-way tie for sixth place in the 13-team Conference USA and were not selected for the NCAA tournament. They will begin play in the American Athletic Conference next season.

The three-year extension he received after a super regional appearance in 2009 expires June 30.

Compher says the decision came "after a thorough and thoughtful evaluation."

He says he will conduct a national search for Godwin's replacement and appointed associate head coach Dan Roszel to run the program on an interim basis

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/06/02/3906400/ecu-fires-baseball-coach-after.html?sp=/99/103/#storylink=cpy

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hey, ECU! Got the deal of the century for ya!

Jun 2, 2014, 6:16 PM

Just fired your coach, eh? How would you like to upgrade to a HOF baseball coach? Take over his contract for the last 2 years and throw in a Bryce Harper SwingAway and we got ourselves a deal!

~JKB

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hey, ECU! Got the deal of the century for ya!

Jun 2, 2014, 6:35 PM

Jack is a good coach, don't understand all the haters on this site. He has done a really good job, sure the team has been down the last few years. I attribute that to top high school talent that decides to turn pro and the loss of top assistants to head coaching positions at top level programs. I like to win as much as the next guy but believe he has earned the right to come back. I'll leave you with 2 questions: 1) who are you going to replace him with? 2) what are you going to do if the new coach comes in and goes 15 and 27? The problem with continuous success is that expectations become unrealistic.

Jun 2, 2014, 6:45 PM

LOL,you are a funny dude.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Answer

Jun 2, 2014, 6:49 PM [ in reply to Re: Hey, ECU! Got the deal of the century for ya! ]

#1 is irrelevant. Do you think there are no qualified coaches out there? Really?? That is your rationale? I'm sure you're a swell fella but that is pure non-sense.

#2 is certainly possible. Any change requires risk in any endeavor. Not sure if you're married or have a steady girl but when you saw her, did you take a chance or just say, nah, she won't go out with me? Just set your sights lower and everything is just hunkydorry?? (I honestly have no idea how to spell that word) Get your head in this a little further. I don't have any issues with someone supporting Jack; I think he is a good coach. I just don't think he is an outstanding coach. I'm willing to take the risk involved in replacing him; you're not - fine as we can disagree. But support your position with objective facts or make a solid case based on you experience but your list of reasons to keep a guy who is managing the decline of our once GREAT program is very, very weak.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Coach Pep, is that you?***

Jun 2, 2014, 6:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Hey, ECU! Got the deal of the century for ya! ]

Jun 2, 2014, 7:17 PM [ in reply to Re: Hey, ECU! Got the deal of the century for ya! ]

Question;If you contibute the team being down as a result of high school talent deciding to turn pro,or losing assistant coaches to other programs,how do you explain the recent success of programs like UNC,Texas,Rice,Arizona,Arizona State,UCLA,Cal-State Fullerton,LSU,Oregon State,and a perinnial powerhouse about ninety miles Southeast of Clemson which seems to have not only our # only in baseball, but football as of late?
And I guess the coots will now be calling for Chad Holbrooks head as well now that Carolina has been eliminated.

ECU has an advantage in replacing their coach that Clemson

Jun 2, 2014, 7:00 PM

does not. Godwin's contract was set to expire June 30. That makes it pretty easy for the AD to not return him next year. I don't know when Leggett's contract is set to expire, but if the expiration was June 30 I'd expect him not to be returning either.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jack's contract expires

Jun 2, 2014, 7:20 PM

June 30, 2016

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 8
| visibility 1,543
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic