Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hey, Covid survivors. I have seen it written that you lose
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 1

Hey, Covid survivors. I have seen it written that you lose

Nov 10, 2020, 12:30 PM

your sense of smell and taste temporarily as part of it. Would you say that that was your first symptom, or was it respiratory issues? Any concrete info from someone who has lived it would help all of us still trying to avoid it. TIA!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I had a mild nagging cough at first

Nov 10, 2020, 12:33 PM

But I’ve never lost my taste and smell 100% like that. That really stuck out to me. It took a few days for that to happen to me.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have reduced lung capacity anyway, according to tests, so

Nov 10, 2020, 12:37 PM

you best believe I am trying to avoid this thing with all my might. Age, underlying conditions, etc, means if I get it, the results are not going to be good. But, just like everything else, it is all in God's hands anyway. That is the only thing that keeps me from worrying about the Big Picture.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I have reduced lung capacity anyway, according to tests, so

Nov 10, 2020, 12:44 PM

I recently talked to someone who said his wife recently recovered from it. She said it was like a severe case of the flu that lasted 3 weeks. Two things he mentioned that people need to know. Even though you don't have any energy, don't just lay in the bed. His wife did and she contracted pneumonia. One must get up and move around. The other important thing he said was, just like the flu, drink plenty of fluids.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Same thing happened to my wife. Both woke up knowing

Nov 10, 2020, 5:42 PM

We had it bc her mom tested positive and we had been around her. I can’t sit still snd it was fever for 2 days then felt better after 5. Not nearly as bad as flu. Wife got double pneumonia and was hospitalized for 10 days and on in home oxygen for a month. Most important thing is to have a pulse oxygen reader( from most drug stores) and if you start feeling bad monitor it closely. If oxygen drops below 90 and doesn’t improve, your lungs are being attacked and for some reason with this you don’t realize it until it is really bad.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I have reduced lung capacity anyway, according to tests, so

Nov 10, 2020, 8:25 PM [ in reply to I have reduced lung capacity anyway, according to tests, so ]

Wash your hands & then trust GOD with the rest.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hey, Covid survivors. I have seen it written that you lose

Nov 10, 2020, 12:46 PM

I never lost my sense of taste or smell. My wife lost it about 3 days after her sore throat, fever and nausea. Until then, we thought she just had her normal cold. We were surprised when she tested positive. I started symptoms about 4 days after her, but they were mild (fever, soreness, nausea). The only part that lasted more than 5 days for each of us was the fatigue. Symptoms are really different for everybody. We are both high risk (age, weight, HBP, COPD), but thought this was mild.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I’m pretty young and heathy

Nov 10, 2020, 12:50 PM

It was really intense for me for a 4 day stretch. I had to drink 3-4 bottles of pedialyte a day to keep myself hydrated. It got really bad at night time.

In late March, I lost my taste/smell and then for about 10

Nov 10, 2020, 12:56 PM

days I just felt crappy. Nothing to put me down for the count, but just crappiness. The loss of taste/smell was the first thing that happened and then the next day or so I didn't feel so hot. That was real early on in the pandemic so I had no way to get tested for Covid but nothing else really explains the sudden loss of taste/smell. I'm 43 and that's never happened to me before so I believe that I probably had it but cannot be 100% sure.

Donate blood & they test for the antibody. Although that

Nov 10, 2020, 1:16 PM

may be gone due to the time passed since you think you had it.

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

I have heard the antibodies last about 3 months.

Nov 10, 2020, 5:17 PM

But, my financial advisor's wife still had antibodies 6 months after her bout with COVID.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

I had blood drawn for my yearly visit and that’s

Nov 10, 2020, 6:55 PM [ in reply to Donate blood & they test for the antibody. Although that ]

exactly what the Doc said, that they’d be gone by now because the antibodies only stick around for about six months.

Nov 10, 2020, 1:02 PM

I just had it. Mine was a very mild case. (I am assuming I’m done with it.) I never lost taste or smell. I had a fever and was achy for a couple of days. Then had a sore throat for a few days. I had a little congestion and mild cough throughout.

Nov 10, 2020, 1:05 PM

As you can see from the early responses, the virus affects almost every single case in a different manner.

I have not personally, nor has anyone in my immediate family,tested positive (not saying I never had it, but was never tested), but my list of close personal friends who have been positive would align with many of the reports in this thread.

As some of you will remember my son had pneumonia in late March/early April but they refused to test him. My wife, my daughter, and I had mild cough/cold symptoms around the same time but nothing that made us choose to go to the doctor. Again, no tests so maybe it was actually a cold and not COVID. We'll never know.

Some of the odd reports I've heard from people close to me who tested positive:

Didn't lose sense of taste or smell but commonly eaten foods tasted different for about a week or two.

Elderly couple I know: wife (fair health) put in the hospital for a week. Husband (worse health) stayed asymptomatic but did test positive. My theory on this is that the husband spends most of his time outside fiddling with things and I truly believe fresh air and body movement are huge to kicking this virus.

Young and healthy football coach was in bed for the better part of a week and felt like the flu punched him in the face, twice. (Two punches that is and not actually getting sick twice)

It's a strange virus.

Nov 10, 2020, 1:06 PM

Both my wife and I are in our late 40s, healthy, and no weight issues. We both completely lost our sense of taste and smell for about a week. Never coughed and never ran a fever. Our main symptoms were fatigue, dizziness, and severe headaches. For us, it was like you feel terrible one day and then fine the next. We would think that it was over and the dizziness and headaches would come back. It was a 2-1/2 week roller coaster. As a side note, I think my sense of smell and taste has been permanently altered. We had it back in September and since then I can't drink Coca Cola. It leaves a terrible aftertaste. Also, I used to love the smell of good coffee brewing but it doesn't smell the same now.

Nov 10, 2020, 1:11 PM

Very interesting you mention dizziness as a symptom with what seems like a mild case.

Until now I had only heard that with people who were experiencing bad flu-like symptoms.

I was dizzy, almost delirious during the day

Nov 10, 2020, 1:59 PM

For about 4-5 days. The same time I had the cold sweats at night.

Had a son with it that lost his taste and smell for weeks

Nov 10, 2020, 1:12 PM

but had very mild other symptoms. The senses of smell and taste gradually came back.

Also had a son with most of the COVID symptoms, severely for a few days, but didn't even know he had lost his sense of smell until I pointed out he couldn't smell one of the worst skunks I've ever smelled. His sense of smell returned slowly also.

He definitely lost it if he couldn't smell skunk! That's one

Nov 10, 2020, 1:41 PM

smell that will never be mistaken for anything else if you have ever truly smelled one.

Nov 10, 2020, 1:37 PM

Well according to Dr. Falsey these symptoms can linger: muscle aches, sleeplessness, brain fog, memory loss, high blood pressure, fatigue, shortness of breath, dizziness, and pretty much anything you can ever experience in life.

Clemson doesn't care about basketball....as evidenced by Brown-L getting 14 years.

Oh, No! I don't need anymore brain fog than I already have.

Nov 10, 2020, 1:42 PM

:(

Nov 10, 2020, 2:55 PM

Family members had prior symptoms (headache) before losing sense of taste and smell.

Nov 10, 2020, 3:17 PM

I had coughs at first, then the fever and chills for three days. Fourth day, fever was gone, minimum cough, felt decent, but found I had lost sense of taste.

Sense of smell was off a little but not completely gone. Took about two and half days for taste to come back. It's miserable not being able to taste anything.

Then for two more days my head slammed shut like a sinus issue, but no fever. Not sure if it was related to the virus, but hard not to assume it was.

And yes, I tested positive for the virus.

Message was edited by: powerman®

Nov 10, 2020, 3:18 PM

I have read several times that some think the severity of it could possibly be linked to your blood type. Very odd virus indeed.

Nov 10, 2020, 3:22 PM

Six of us in my family got it, tested positive, and had very similar severe cold like symptoms. We all shook it off, even my 80 year old parents. And we all have O+ blood types. They're seeing that O type blood seems to make a difference. Or at least it's statistically significant enough to warrant further research.

I am O+ and had mild symptoms.***

Nov 10, 2020, 5:21 PM [ in reply to Re: Hey, Covid survivors. I have seen it written that you lose ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Nov 10, 2020, 3:35 PM

I started with a mild headache and some sinus stuff on the same day as two family members. Day two for me was the most excruciating headache I've ever been through while my wife lost taste and smell and my son developed a slight cough and headache. My son had little to no symptoms after day 3 and my wife never really developed anything except the nagging cough that we are still dealing with out of quarantine. My case developed more into the full body flu feeling, lack of appetite, cough, congestion, and low energy level. Oct23 was day one for us and I'm still not 100%.

Nov 10, 2020, 4:00 PM

My wife and I are both in our mid-50s and had it. My symptoms were minimal, more like a cold. Worst part was fatigue and having to quarantine. My wife had a cough and fatigue but lost her sense of smell and taste late in the quarantine period. Lasted for about 2-3 weeks after all other symptoms were gone. But the loss of taste is real. She can't handle spicy food and one night she made a dish that was spicy even for me - she couldn't taste it!

Nov 10, 2020, 4:09 PM

I've known several people who have had it and it seems like its different for everyone. Some lose taste, some have mild flu symptoms, some don't have any symptoms. Guess there's why they have a list of like 90 possible symptoms.

Nov 10, 2020, 4:28 PM

I had it and did lose my taste and smell but that wasn’t my first symptoms.I had allergy type symptoms for two weeks before my fever went up, my eyes watered and I had a slight dry cough and then I had problems breathing .I have slight allergy symptoms year around but the breathing was the game changer.Spent five days in hospital and came home on oxygen for about 2 months( off it now) and about five weeks for taste and smell to come back.

Nov 10, 2020, 4:37 PM

My sons that are students at Clemson were the first two in my family to get it. My son that is still in high school was the next, then my wife. They all were tested and each tested positive. I stayed in other parts of the house, but began to feel fatigued and like I had a mild cold. I went and got tested and was positive. They all lost their sense of taste and smell, but I never did. I felt clammy and tired all the time. They are all better and I have been given the all clear to return to work.

Nov 10, 2020, 4:45 PM

One symptom that hit me that I forgot was lack of appetite. There was a four day period when I didn’t eat. I made myself continue to drink water, ginger ale, Gatorade to stay hydrated, but I didn’t want to eat anything, because nothing tasted right to me. I lost about 8-10 pounds over a three week period.

My first symptom (apparently) was a hoarse voice.

Nov 10, 2020, 5:09 PM

Two days later I had a low-grade fever and tiredness. The fever went away after 2 days. During that time my legs hurt (muscles aches) and dry cough. Then, about two days after the fever left, I lost sense of smell but kept sense of taste. After two-three days, the sense of smell came back. Now, just a little cough every 3-4 hours, but it is productive, not dry. I don't believe I had any breathing issues. I am close to 55 years old with some blood sugar issues, controlled blood pressure, and controlled elevated cholesterol.

Advice I got from others who had it - stay hydrated with water, extra Vitamin C and D, take zinc if you can. Get a pulse oximeter (or use the one on your phone) and check blood O2 level at least twice a day. If your O2 level gets around 90% or lower, call an ambulance.

I am back at work after working from home for two weeks.

Get well soon.

I think mine started 2 weeks ago tonight with

Nov 10, 2020, 7:18 PM

sinus drainage. Got tested to be safe and was positive. Today I feel almost back to normal. I am 62, in good health, and O+ Blood. I experienced drainage , occasional cough, nausea at wierd times, some body ache, and fatigue. But overall, not too bad. I have had other things that were much worse. The hardest part was 10 day quarantine, and surviving our last 2 football games.

Re: I think mine started 2 weeks ago tonight with

Nov 10, 2020, 7:19 PM

Never lost taste or smell

Nov 10, 2020, 7:19 PM

My daughter had it, and the loss of smell and taste was gone after a few days. It's been about 6 weeks and her taste and smell is returning, but the craziest thing she's having is halucinagenic (if that's even a word) smells. Like her favorite is cinnamon rolls...really weird. Her team mate said that his taste went and things tasted like a f a r t

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 10, 2020, 7:21 PM

Dealing with COVID in my house as we speak. First symptom i feel like is a fever than others cascade from there. We had fevers for two days and now those showing symptoms feel like they have a respiratory cold.

Nov 10, 2020, 8:36 PM

It affects those who had the flu shot worse than those that didn’t.

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Dangit, another strike! I already have 4 of the 6 bad

Nov 10, 2020, 8:47 PM

underlying conditions, AND I took the flu shot. If I get this thing, I'm gonna request the Trumpoclonal antibodies right off the bat.

Replies: 38
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic