Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: Swofford on ACC division realignment
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 62
| visibility 1

FB Update: Swofford on ACC division realignment

Jul 13, 2017, 11:54 AM

Swofford on ACC division realignment

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's an IDIOT!

Jul 13, 2017, 12:04 PM

While I appreciate the hard decisions, he needs to make them! LEAD YOU WHINY SOB!

Also, the NCAA needs to put a limit on conf size to 12 and force more conferences. Only the conf winner advances to playoffs, 8 team playoff!.

Done!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He's an IDIOT!

Jul 13, 2017, 12:13 PM

Nah.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 13, 2017, 12:17 PM [ in reply to He's an IDIOT! ]

No 8 team playoff!
ACC is ready to go to 16 as soon as ND is ready.....

Jul 13, 2017, 12:18 PM

but yes he is a twit... a dishonest twit....

Jul 13, 2017, 2:55 PM [ in reply to Re: He's an IDIOT! ]

Lord, please no.

There was 2 teams last year, us and Bama. #1 and #2 pre and post season. Everything in between was just hype.

The B1G was nothing but hype. The only "quality" win, for that conference, outside of the B1G was the OSU's win over OU. OU was minus their best WR and their defense was garbage. Meechigan did show up against FSU, without Peppers and Butt, but still did not win.

Had USC started Darnold at the beginning of the season the may have edged out Washington but they proved they were not as advertised with Darnold by the score fest they had in their bowl game against Penn St. Penn St was a nice story but not a true championship contender. I saw that when I watched them play Indiana. They was very fortunate that Indiana's QB was turnover machine.

Beyond the four teams that made last year's playoff an 8 team field would have consisted of four of these teams: Meechigan, USC, Penn St, Wisconsin, OU or Western Michigan. No thanks.

At 8 teams there will be the next hottest 3 loss team and it will diminish the regular season, which is purely perfect as is, imo. Each game is critical and leaves very little room for error.

Conference champ should have nothing to do with playoff

Jul 13, 2017, 1:26 PM [ in reply to He's an IDIOT! ]

Say some sorry SEC East team somehow lucks up and wins - you putting some sorry 6-6 team in the playoff just because they got lucky one game? Thats moronic.

FOLLOW THE LOGIC...

Jul 13, 2017, 1:36 PM

If the NCAA limits conference size such that every team should play each other in regular season AND the conf champion (who wins based on ref season play) goes to playoffs, why is that moronic?

Re: FOLLOW THE LOGIC...

Jul 13, 2017, 1:53 PM

Youre suggestion doing away with the conference champ game then, which you didnt specify. Thanks for the TD by the way, jerk.

Re: FOLLOW THE LOGIC...

Jul 13, 2017, 1:55 PM

I hit the TD by mistake (was typing on phone).... how do you see that? I have been trying to figure that out...

HAH! you cant. I assumed (correctly) it was you.***

Jul 13, 2017, 2:34 PM

Re: HAH! you cant. I assumed (correctly) it was you.***

Jul 13, 2017, 2:52 PM

Man you need a hobby. You're a D H

Re: HAH! you cant. I assumed (correctly) it was you.***

Jul 13, 2017, 2:54 PM

I didn't hit the td by mistake lol

try to walk and scroll to on iPhone.. it happens

Jul 13, 2017, 8:45 PM [ in reply to HAH! you cant. I assumed (correctly) it was you.*** ]

Why would I intentionally TD on this? That makes no sense... ??

Jul 14, 2017, 12:52 PM [ in reply to He's an IDIOT! ]

Swofford has never respected Clemson and will favor UNC regardless of the damage they have done to ACC reputation.

Re: FB Update: Swofford on ACC division realignment

Jul 13, 2017, 12:10 PM

Don't reshuffle the divisions.

There is an imbalance at this time just like there is in SEC West as well as in the Big Ten East which is the most imbalanced of all (UM, MSU, PSU, OSU).

For the ACC and SEC you just take the long view and wait for the other teams to step up. Big 10 needs to just blow their stuff up and redo.

If and when the super conferences emerge then you blow it up for all and start over.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 13, 2017, 12:14 PM

Plus, outside of South Carolina, we don't need to play a set rival every year. If teams want to schedule an out-of-conference rivalry game every year, great, but there is no need for us to play GaTech every year. It shouldn't take 6 years to play everyone in the league.

Speak for yourself, I like our GT rivalry***

Jul 13, 2017, 1:09 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Re: Speak for yourself, I like our GT rivalry***

Jul 13, 2017, 1:11 PM

Especially now that our defense is stopping them. Gotta catch up on that series lead they have over us.

Jul 13, 2017, 3:32 PM [ in reply to Speak for yourself, I like our GT rivalry*** ]

Agreed, goes back to Heisman.

Jul 13, 2017, 4:44 PM [ in reply to Speak for yourself, I like our GT rivalry*** ]

I like watching the Tigers smash up that silly Wreck.

Play GT every year

Jul 13, 2017, 2:55 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Swofford on ACC division realignment ]

GT is our oldest conference rival, one of top teams in the Coastal Division, one of the most competitive series in the conference, and only two hours down the road.

Also an obvious choice if we have to schedule a Thursday game.

GT's not our oldest conference rival

Jul 14, 2017, 1:13 PM

I remember when they joined the ACC in the mid-80's.

I would say Wake or NCST would be our "oldest" conference rivals.

Jul 13, 2017, 12:14 PM

Best way to fix is to go to 9 conference games.... but then the issue is the home and home that Clemson, FSU and GaT and now Louisville have with instate rival.

The imbalance is Clemson and FSU, the rest of the conference needs to catch up.... Miami might be getting close.

Jul 13, 2017, 12:15 PM

> > width=5> 
> href="/update/Swofford-on-ACC-division-realignment-271
> 39">> src="http://i3.tigernet.com/stories/14/football/Swoffo
> rd_John_ACC_478.jpg">

> size=2>
> cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0>
> href="/update/Swofford-on-ACC-division-realignment-271
> 39" class=newstitle>Swofford on ACC division
> realignment

> class=newsbody> > href="/update/Swofford-on-ACC-division-realignment-271
> 39">Read Update
> »

Nm

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Water the Point Tree

Swoffie needs to focus on: 1) the ACC network and

Jul 13, 2017, 12:27 PM

getting the per school payouts equal to that of "other conferences"

2) practicing something resembling ethical leadership and penalize unc drastically when NCAA sanctions are announced late this year. And if he goes to Indianapolis to help unc plead its case AGAIN, he should be summarily dismissed from his position....and ACC presidents should make that very clear to him now.

"Balancing" the divisions would devolve into little more than an effort to guarantee Clemson and FlaSt would meet in the championship game most years (its already the biggest game of the ACC football season every year)..........I think its less of an issue than getting Notre Dame to commit to full membership

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He could have said less

Jul 13, 2017, 12:28 PM

but he would have had to talk longer

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

lmao***

Jul 13, 2017, 12:30 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

SWOFFORD SPENDS MOST OF....

Jul 13, 2017, 12:31 PM [ in reply to He could have said less ]

his time trying to decide which bathroom to use .

I feel more dumb for having tried to read that!!!

Jul 13, 2017, 12:44 PM [ in reply to He could have said less ]

Go Tigers!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I feel more dumb for having tried to read that!!!

Jul 13, 2017, 2:14 PM

Mr. Swofford, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He could have said less

Jul 13, 2017, 1:33 PM [ in reply to He could have said less ]

Best comment of the day.

Wasn't the buffoon supposed to retire?***

Jul 13, 2017, 12:34 PM

GO TIGERS!!

This guy continues to impress.

Jul 13, 2017, 12:36 PM

Proud to be in the ACC.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

What a stooge. Guy's a joke.***

Jul 13, 2017, 12:48 PM

Not long ago the Atlantic was the turd division

Jul 13, 2017, 12:50 PM

When i was younger the SEC East used to crap on the West every year too. It's all cyclical... except maybe the Big Ten East. That's probably the one division that truly is imbalanced.

Re: Not long ago the Atlantic was the turd division

Jul 13, 2017, 12:54 PM

Agreed, there is no reason to realign.

I'm guessing

Jul 13, 2017, 12:50 PM

there will not be a 7-4 team in any conference championship game.

Tell that to Nebraska. #3 Nebraska lost to 7-4 UT in 1996***

Jul 13, 2017, 1:13 PM

Re: Tell that to Nebraska. #3 Nebraska lost to 7-4 UT in 1996***

Jul 13, 2017, 1:16 PM

They play 12 games now...

No they didnt***

Jul 13, 2017, 1:29 PM [ in reply to Tell that to Nebraska. #3 Nebraska lost to 7-4 UT in 1996*** ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

There will be ups and downs in overall division strength

Jul 13, 2017, 12:58 PM

there is no reason to think Miami, VT, and/or UNC can't field teams to compete with CU and FSU. In fact look how difficult the ACCG has been for us the last 2 years vs our National Semi-Final games. I don't think any realignment is needed. In fact, I think the current set-up is far from a knock out game between FSU/CU. A conference championship game between the 2 would be just that but right now there is an opportunity for both teams to make the playoffs with 12-0/11-1 records.

I do agree that the permanent game vs. GT is unnecessary and that if any tweaks are made, then it is to eliminate the cross-div permanent opponent. I am also adamantly against at 9 game schedule given what it would do to our non-conf schedule and ultimately our SOS.

Re: There will be ups and downs in overall division strength

Jul 13, 2017, 3:40 PM

Same here. OOC breakdown: 1 charity game, 1 state rivalry, and 2 tell all games a year (weather it is against 2 power 5s or 1 Power 5 and a Group of 5 it goes toward sorting out who is who).

Jul 13, 2017, 1:02 PM

Swofford: "Is it basketball season yet?"

Programs rise and fall. Should be based on geography.

Jul 13, 2017, 8:22 AM

Alignment should have always been based on geography. I said this from day 1.

South
Miami
FSU
Georgia Tech
Clemson
UNC
NC State
Duke

North
Wake
Syracuse
Pitt
VT
BC
UVA
Louisville

Anything else is short-term minded.

Re: Programs rise and fall. Should be based on geography.

Jul 13, 2017, 1:30 PM

Yes and No. Traditionally elite programs, are, well, traditionally elite. No program is good ALL the time, but the traditional ones ar egood more often than not. Clemson Bama, FSU, OSU, etc all have bad years, sometimes even bad decades, but ultimately are on a differnt level than say, south carolina, vanderbuilt, wake, syracuse, etc.

Clemson was mid or bottom half for most of the 90's

Jul 14, 2017, 10:30 AM

Clemson was elite in the 80's, erratic in the 70's and bad in the 60's.

We have been elite this decade and mediocre the last.

FSU wasn't even decent until the late 80's and then mediocre for a while around 2005.

Virginia Tech has been up and down.

Louisville came out of nowhere.

Alabama sucked in the late 90's and early 2000's

LSU was mediocre until Saban

Michigan and Notre Dame have have long stretches of mediocrity over the last 15 years.

So... no... programs rise and fall. Some rise more often than others, but division alignment should be based on geography.

Jul 13, 2017, 1:22 PM

I...uh...well...uh...my butt is itching...I think...uh...I love Ron Cherry...uh...Mama Swofford used to say...uh...

Jul 13, 2017, 1:49 PM

He just doesn't want a realignment because if Clemson and fsu are separate that will mean UNC has no chance nor anyone else

I've never been able to sit and workout a schedule but...

Jul 13, 2017, 1:55 PM

It seems to me that with 14 teams you could pull off a schedule like this.
Each team has 13 teams left to play.
Each team has 3 permanent oppenents(For Clemson lets say: FSU, GT, and NCSU for historical purposes)
Each team then has 10 teams left to play on a 2 year cycle playing 5 each year.
That would be 8 conference games each year(I am completely against the idea of 9 conference games), with 3 constant opponents and 5 that rotate every other year. This would also mean that each team visits each other team at least every four years.

This is totally the way to go in the long run - scrapping

Jul 13, 2017, 4:27 PM

divisions altogether and going with that precise scheduling model. At 14 programs, every 4-year recruiting class would play every league team at least once both at home and away. It's perfect.

Problem is, Clemson and FSU are the most against that model as there is too strong a likelihood that they could re-match in an ACCCG and have one of them knocked out of the CFP in the process, where if they didn't re-match a 1-loss team that missed out on the CCG would still be in the running.

The league was actually pretty much behind that model at one point when they were pushing the NCAA to allow non-divisional structures to put participants in a CCG. The league backed off due to ours and FSU's objections as the CFP model unfolded.

I'm hoping the longer term will see the elimination of CCG's altogether (play 'out' games) in favor of regular season champs and a first CFP round with 8 on CCG weekend. Losers of that round get cast into the bowl selection process and we're off and running.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree with something like this...

Jul 13, 2017, 6:29 PM [ in reply to I've never been able to sit and workout a schedule but... ]

2 or 3 "rivals" you play each year... rotate everyone else....

So one side of the ACC has either won a Championship or

Jul 13, 2017, 2:05 PM

at least made the playoff(if not the Title game) 4 straight years and the other division can't fight it's way out of a wet paper bag...But Swofford sees balance...Really tells you all you need to know doesn't it?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just get rid of divisions

Jul 13, 2017, 2:11 PM

Play most teams every other year and some 2 out of 3 years. Top 2 teams play in the conf championship. Could even keep the yearly rivalry games.

Jul 13, 2017, 2:35 PM

I've read the comments and did some reading. My conclusion:

Swofford isn't an idiot, but he's dead wrong on the imbalance question. There is because either FSU or the Tigers have become ACC Champs 15 of 20 years, WF once, and the other division 4 times. That's dominance.

Swofford is an administrator, not a leader. Opinions are as myriad as the stars on leadership, but he is not charismatic and innovative. He comes across on TV as ingratiating yet impersonal. Someone to dislike or mistrust.

What to do about the obvious imbalance should not be up to Swofford. It's up to the members. The Tigers have to win no matter the opponent. The same as the other teams in the conference. Playing the best makes us better.

Remember, the Tiger season outcome is a collection of who we beat. No matter they're division or conference. One game at a time.

Go Tigers.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Only one part of that write-up and made sense and...

Jul 13, 2017, 2:49 PM

that was Tony's last paragraph: Honestly, with all due respect to Mr. Swofford, you got this one wrong as there is a severe imbalance in the ACC Atlantic with Clemson and Florida State. These two teams are top five type teams moving forward in the next decade and beyond and should be playing in the ACC Championship yearly in a must-see marquee national matchup, not in a knockout game in the middle of the regular season. College Football fans are smart and will turn the channel for better games if a 7-4 coastal team is playing in the ACC Championship.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Only one part of that write-up made sense and...

Jul 13, 2017, 2:50 PM

that was Tony's last paragraph: Honestly, with all due respect to Mr. Swofford, you got this one wrong as there is a severe imbalance in the ACC Atlantic with Clemson and Florida State. These two teams are top five type teams moving forward in the next decade and beyond and should be playing in the ACC Championship yearly in a must-see marquee national matchup, not in a knockout game in the middle of the regular season. College Football fans are smart and will turn the channel for better games if a 7-4 coastal team is playing in the ACC Championship.

Re: Only one part of that write-up made sense and...

Jul 13, 2017, 3:51 PM

The SEC has the West, B1G has the East, the PAC 12 has the North (not as noticeable but Oregon/Stanford/Washington > USC, UCLA, Utah, the ACC has the Atlantic, and the Big 12 has, well, nothing.

Are all the other division going to realign to get a "true title game" and eliminate the posibilty of 2 teams making the CFP, also?

Jul 13, 2017, 3:08 PM

That maybe true about the balance if Clemson and FSU were separated, one in the Atlantic, and the other in the Coastal.

Jul 13, 2017, 3:55 PM

There will be no realignment as long as Swoffy is in charge cause he knows if he splits Clemson and the criminoles up one has to be in the same division as his beloved tarholes which means they will never make it to the championship.

Jul 13, 2017, 3:59 PM

IMHO the worst thing that happened to college football was when the conferences decided to admit new members and actually have two conferences in one. Select the top 72 teams who are committed to maintaining D1 programs. Align the conferences in geographical areas, eight conferences with nine members each. Each team plays the other eight teams in the conference. A 12 game schedule will allow four other games for traditional rivals, cross conference teams or teams from lesser conferences. Winners of the eight conferences advance to the playoffs. If there is a tie in a conference, the head-to-head meeting will determine the winner. The location and opponent in the playoffs will be determined by draw and not by ranking. The location for the finals can be pre-determined so appropriate preparations can proceed well in advance of the game. The two teams reaching the finals will have played a 15 game schedule.

If a team performs for four years, or some other pre-determined period, at a level not deemed worthy of D1 status, it will be subject to replacement by a team deemed more worthy. This would recognize those teams who have demonstrated they have achieved a level of success by a commitment of resources to their athletic programs, particularly football.

I'll let someone else develop a plan for the other bowl games.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 13, 2017, 8:36 PM

This is the most rambling incoherent statement ever. Embarrassing.

Also, Clemson, FSU & Louisville could beat every Coastal team. Unbalanced.

Jul 14, 2017, 12:58 PM

Swofford Translation:
I am an under-handed, cheating, sneaky, conniving, sorry excuse for a commissioner, and I will avoid answering anything about realignment that might jeopardize my precious UNCheaters. As long as the ACC is stupid enough to allow me to be the commish - then I will screw them every way to Sunday.

Replies: 62
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic