Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Here is my question about Notre Dame
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

Here is my question about Notre Dame

Oct 8, 2015, 1:38 PM

Why in the heck did nearly every major media outlet predict and overwhelming win for Notre Dame? These people are supposed to be experts! I watched nearly every snap Notre Dame took this year and they didn't look very good to me. The only game that I thought they looked good in was Texas, but they make everyone look good. Almost losing to Virginia? Almost going in to half time losing to Umass? What a joke these reporters are.

I guess it is just national perception of Notre Dame, but that shouldn't cloud the judgment of experts.

I really hope they win out, but I have a strong feeling that they drop a couple of games and it will make our win not look nearly as good.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's a good chance they

Oct 8, 2015, 1:41 PM

win out. That team is absolutely loaded at basically every position.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Because at the end of the game, everyone knew that they weren’t that much better than us or better than us at all."

Yep, agreed***

Oct 8, 2015, 1:54 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Re: Here is my question about Notre Dame

Oct 8, 2015, 1:42 PM

Clemson winning against a top 10 team wouldn't fit the narrative.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If we had blown out louisville, it would have been different

Oct 8, 2015, 1:47 PM

IMO. Since we "struggled to beat an 0-3 team", no one had reason to pick us.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think they repeat what they've heard

Oct 8, 2015, 1:49 PM

ND's offensive tackle may be one of the best, I don't know. But I seriously doubt all the talking heads who stated how great he is really spent much time watching him block. Maybe they saw some highlights and HEARD how good he is. So my point is that they hear and repeat. This happens enough that the narrative becomes how great all of their players are. My guess is top-to-bottom the talent level at ND is roughly equal to Clemson. And that's what we saw on the field.

Is it fun living in the past?

Oct 8, 2015, 2:44 PM

This was nearly a week ago. Tigers win, and usually #6 is going to be picked to beat #12 by panels on pregame shows. Worry more when the wise guys in Vegas don't like us.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 8, 2015, 3:39 PM

1. All talking heads are subject to recycling information. Clemson loses big games (doesn't every team?), Clemson has a new OL (which is true), Clemson lost a ton on D, hasn't played anyone, etc.

2. ND gets a national brand bump in perception. they weren't a top six team (as I don't think we are either) but they're ND.

Oct 8, 2015, 4:59 PM

It's called Football Power Index (FPI). Because the Strength of Schedule of every team is zero at the beginning of the season there is no way to rank them in the polls except to start with the last season final ranking and make adjustment according to players lost and players gained and half a dozen other unknowns.

Let's take a look at what we know about the FPI.

1. The previous year’s performance

A. “OFFENSE: Offensive efficiency in terms of offense’s contribution to scoring margin on all its plays, adjusted for strength of opposing defenses* faced.

B. DEFENSE: Defensive efficiency in terms of defense’s contribution to scoring margin on all its plays, adjusted for strength of opposing offenses* faced.

C. SPECIAL TEAMS: Special teams efficiency in terms of special teams’ contribution to scoring margin on all its plays, adjusted for strength of opposing special teams* faced.

D. OVERALL: Overall net efficiency, summing up adjusted offensive, defensive, and special teams efficiencies; a measure of scoring margin per game, adjusted for schedule*.”

2. Returning starters, Starting QB return counts most

3. Coach changes, positive if last year was poor, negative if prior year was good

4. Recruiting rankings

The Company which produced this metric also produces recruiting rankings, previous recruiting rankings for returning players and coaching evaluations. Those along with all other speculative opinions in this formula is that of those employed by The Company.

This company also has 50/50 ownership of a public broadcasting network with one of the five major NCAA football conferences and owns the broadcasting rights to the Playoff Committee.

I was told recently that I should be embarrassed for my ignorance concerning The Company so I won't mention the company name so no one else will falls under the delusion which plagues and embarrasses me.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic