Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Help with bass fishing
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1,583

Help with bass fishing

May 11, 2020, 7:21 PM

Live near Lake Norman- is early morning the best time to largemouth fish? Temperature and lures? I will be fishing from the bank so Amy chance not having a boat? Is this the best month or next?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Heck anyone willing to take me along bass fishing

May 11, 2020, 7:22 PM

I have the gear and after years of fishing recognizing I’m a “great value” version of a fishermen- just getting by

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm sure you'll find plenty of help here, but it's a good...

May 11, 2020, 7:34 PM

chance to get to know the Bait & Tackle Shops around Lake Norman. The right ones can put you on fish.

Re: Help with bass fishing

May 11, 2020, 7:34 PM

Like hunting, morning is almost always good, but when it's cooler "the heat of the day" might be better. Crankbaits when they're aggressive and a topwater buzzbait is exciting when the water is still and better probably when sun is not overhead. Topwater is generally best right after dawn and just before dusk when it's nice and peaceful.

If nothing else works plastic is your go-to with salamanders working great when they're on their beds. A good ole worm Carolina-rigged is cheap and easy and can get them when nothing else will, but you might have find the right color for the lake/pond and the water color that day. Always keep a few colors handy. Sometimes they'll go for a good contrast and other times they'll prefer a similar color to the water. The best thing you can do is just search for bass fishing tips and spend the next twenty years reading all the articles.

Just remember largemouth bass like many fish are predators and like to ambush their prey so they like to hide around structure, at edges of shadows, and where the topography quickly changes depth.

Good luck.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 11, 2020, 11:12 PM

Good advice here already. BengalBilly laid down some good 411. I’d add spinner baits especially in cooler water and also top water poppers in the AM. Fishing from shore follow follow his advice and look for spots where you can cast parallel to shore and work the edges of overhanging cover or aquatic vegetation like lily pads. Docks, pylons, submerged trees, stumps definitely deserve attention. Also, try variations of retrieval; speed, depth, changes in both. Good luck.

Message was edited by: TigerJS®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

good info here

May 12, 2020, 10:52 AM [ in reply to Re: Help with bass fishing ]

But not a fan of the Carolina rig. The bait ends up going down their throat too far before you set the hook. Therefore you end up having to dig the hook out near their stomach which likely prevents a live release.

A Texas rig with the weight near the worm prevents this. Also love a Hula Popper on the surface in the morning and evening.

I don’t have that problem with Carolina rigs

May 12, 2020, 10:51 PM

My dad taught me to keep the line super tight when you’re fishing those. It has a great bite feel imo.

I do prefer Texas rigs for heavier cover.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 11, 2020, 8:12 PM

Oh...BASS fishing. I though you said ...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 11, 2020, 10:36 PM

Check with Spud.

May 12, 2020, 10:58 AM

This guy Spud seems like he might like fishing for bass. Just a hunch

May 12, 2020, 11:02 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

May 12, 2020, 8:22 PM

Large shiners, multiple rods, different depths, good set-up for the bank. Fish them under a float and/or fish finder rig. I know it’s not the PC way to bass fish anymore but it sure is fun with a lot of action. Good chance of catching a Rockfish of big catfish as well in Norman using shiners.

May 12, 2020, 8:23 PM

Rockfish or catfish

Morning or evening is best.

May 12, 2020, 10:49 PM

If it’s sunny throw into the shady cover areas. Cover is trees, stumps docks posts any type of structure in the water. They tend to like cover, especially when it’s hot and sunny. If it’s overcast try a faster moving bait to cover more ground.

They like it when it warms up. If the morning is cold and the evening is warm you’ll have probably have better luck at 5-8 PM

Go to YouTube. There are tons of things you can try like a ned rig, whopper plopper, etc. learn to fish with zoom or similar plastic baits.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 13
| visibility 1,583
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic