Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Help wanted from Surfers & Branding/Marketing/Design Experts
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 2,285

Help wanted from Surfers & Branding/Marketing/Design Experts

Jan 1, 2019, 8:52 AM

I'm really struggling to make a decision and need help from the great minds of my fellow tigers. Can you give me feedback on these potential logos for a surf park? A detailed design brief is included on the site. Thanks!
https://99designs.com/contests/poll/dc85d49b58

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Help wanted from Surfers & Branding/Marketing/Design Experts

Jan 1, 2019, 9:06 AM

None of the logos really pop, but if I had to pick one of the choices I like #112. It’s pretty clean and simple. I thinks it’s redundant to have “GS” and “Groundswell” in the same logo. I like the idea in #71 of incorporating a surfboard, but I think the logo is too fat. The last logo looks too much like the Nike swoosh.

Jan 1, 2019, 9:17 AM

Growing up surfing and skating my advice would be to take a look at all of Gordon and Smith emblems and stickers and stay as far as possible from those.

G&S together immediately makes me think of them.

I would go with #112 that is the only one that didn’t make me think of Gordon and Smith at all

Jan 1, 2019, 9:22 AM

Dang! I had forgotten about G&S! Are they still around?

Jan 1, 2019, 9:25 AM

Yea exclusively skateboards, longboards and fun shapes these days I think

Jan 1, 2019, 9:21 AM [ in reply to Re: Help wanted from Surfers & Branding/Marketing/Design Experts ]

Good points, especially re:swoosh. I knew there was something bothering me about it!

Jan 1, 2019, 9:13 AM

1st choice: 108
2nd choice: 112

I like clean and simple, it’s the geometric element to the ‘W’ in 108 that gives it a unique look. I liked seeing the real life signs and usage, it really made it stand out. However, I might request they do it without the surfboard under the GS.

I know it’s what the place is, but that surfboard might be a little too much clutter.

Message was edited by: CtLiEgMeSrOsN®

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 1, 2019, 9:25 AM

Good point re:declutter!

Jan 1, 2019, 9:32 AM

Grew up skating, surfing and sailing. I see a sail in some of these logos. Don't think you want that.

Jan 1, 2019, 9:39 AM

But never with the GS logo only the full word GroundSwell. It's great that the word swells under the wave.

Re: #25

Jan 1, 2019, 10:01 AM

I liked #25 as well, but for different reasons. You're going to want a long and short logo for branding. And I thought 25 did well at both of those.

I went through the same process last year with my company. And the good news is that you can rebrand whenever you want. I like my logos today, but I can see me updating them in 2-3 years. To me, the most important question to answer was the colors. You may change your style, but you'll never change your colors.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 1, 2019, 5:30 PM

Interesting take on the colors...I hadn't thought about not being able to change them...Guess I need to make sure I like them enough!

Jan 1, 2019, 4:57 PM [ in reply to #25 ]

Yeah, I liked that too...but I asked the designer to change up the GS, it seemed too blocky or something...he hasn't changed it though..

Jan 1, 2019, 10:00 AM

I prefer 112 as well.

Interesting that you are doing this. I mentored a kid at academic magnet last year that created a business plan for a wave park in SC as his senior project. That was a lot of fun. Definitely some potential with the new technologies that are around to create waves. Good luck with the endeavor!

Jan 1, 2019, 10:08 AM

simple

I am no expert

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 1, 2019, 11:01 AM

I like 112. I think it looks classic and conveys the wave image best. Some of the logos feel like they are for an industrial supply company.

Good luck.

Jan 1, 2019, 11:15 AM

Without the GS, I'm reminded of Quiksilver.

Sorry, I know that doesn't help much.

PS: where is this park going to be? What kind of wave? Like the Typhoon Lagoon pulse wave, or one of the new "track" waves like the Kelly Slater pool?

Jan 1, 2019, 11:16 AM

Forgot to add: I'm for 112 or 101.

Jan 1, 2019, 10:17 PM [ in reply to Re: Help wanted from Surfers & Branding/Marketing/Design Experts ]

Yeah, I see the Quiksilver reference. As for where, I'm looking at the Charlotte area, maybe Charleston. Would like to take it to Atlanta, and maybe Jacksonville afterwards...Check out Wavegarden Cove...new tech that produces waves more frequently than Typhoon Lagoon and Kelly's pool...

Jan 1, 2019, 10:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Help wanted from Surfers & Branding/Marketing/Design Experts ]

101 or 112. Maybe some orange mixed in. The colors now don't pop for me. JMO.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not much for the 'Groundswell,'

Jan 1, 2019, 2:34 PM

I'd go with CoralBreak or something. Also your pipeline should be altered to appear to behave as if unsupported water continues to be a subject of gravity. It looks unnatural the way you have it. It looks like something someone who has no idea what it's supposed to look like designed, as if someone stepped on a plastic pipe.

Forgive the harshness and 60s terminology, I just tried to be honest and straightforward. You're a professional, you understand.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm not much for the 'Groundswell,'

Jan 1, 2019, 6:08 PM

no worries! i'm the developer, not the logo designer, so no feelings hurt at all...but i didn't think their waves were too bad...

I went to school with Richie and he’s a killer graphic designer

Jan 1, 2019, 6:38 PM

And lives in Charelston. It may be worth reaching out if you’re a Clemson alum.

https://www.richieswann.com/

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I went to school with Richie and he’s a killer graphic designer

Oct 27, 2020, 6:07 PM

Thanks! I just sent Richie an email via his website. If he asks, do you want me to let him know who referred him?

Replies: 23
| visibility 2,285
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic