Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Heisman Race
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

Heisman Race

Nov 21, 2015, 10:58 PM

With Fournette & LSU toast, OSU's Elliot mouthing off and throwing his coaches under the bus, and Baker Mayfield 9-20 tonight, is the Heisman down to Henry and Deshaun? I'm convinced Watson is the best player in the country, but fear the Bama agenda will be hard to overcome

And yes, I know individual awards are meaningless compared to this incredible team season, but I'd love to see Watson take home the trophy

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Heisman Race

Nov 21, 2015, 11:10 PM

I believe that absolutely yes, it is between Watson & Henry at this point. But when you look at the criterion required to win the trophy, it entails more than just the "best player in college football."

For those unknowing:

"The outstanding college football player whose performance best exhibits the pursuit of excellence with integrity. Winners epitomize great ability combined with diligence, perseverance, and hard work."

Now I don't know anything about the character or integrity of Derrick Henry but I think all of us can say, without a doubt, that there isn't any player in all of FBS more deserving than Deshaun Watson at this point. If you look at his backstory, the adversity he's had to endure and overcome, his leadership, his work ethic, his overall value to the team, his calm demeanor under duress, what he's been able to accomplish in such a short time, especially 12 months after an injury that would (and has) ended many careers before him... To me, and probably all of us - he's the clear choice.

With that being said, and knowing it comes down to a panel of journalists and former heisman winners... No one knows for sure. Regardless, in my mind, deshaun deserves it for all that he does day in and day out to make Clemson what it has become today. I couldn't ask for a better quarterback or player to represent our brand.

Nov 21, 2015, 11:23 PM

Very well said, and I agree with you

Kind of ironic that Johny football and Jameis managed to miss those clauses, but oh well

I have nothing against Henry either, just feel like his #'s are a product of his NFL-caliber O-Line, and I think Gallman would have very similar stats in Bama's scheme.

My eyes tell me Deshaun is clearly the best player in the country, and that makes me feel great when/if we go to the playoffs

Nov 21, 2015, 11:50 PM [ in reply to Re: Heisman Race ]

I agree with what you've said, but when you say "what he's been able to accomplish in such a short period of time" that seems to imply that he should be rewarded for being as young as he is, which we know historically has not been the case with the Heisman

Nov 22, 2015, 1:45 AM

I wasn't referring to his age but rather his "perseverance" and "diligence" towards his "pursuit of excellence" in exactly what I said, "a short period of time".

Regardless of his age, the rate at which he's been able to transition from high school to college, overcome adversity (both personally and health-wise), fill big shoes after Tajh left, lead on-and-off the field, and take a program to its 700th win, longest win streak in FBS, 11-0 record and a clear road to the playoffs? All of that is remarkable. But to accomplish that in under a year? In the wake of a devastating injury that some never recover from? And knowing it's only a snapshot of his capabilities and achievements thus far? By definition - he is absolutely, 100% heisman material.

Nov 21, 2015, 11:25 PM

500 yds and 6 tds next week against the Coots would definitely help.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think McCaffrey deserves consideration

Nov 22, 2015, 1:46 AM

Stanford wouldn't be where they are without him

Clemson

Nov 22, 2015, 1:47 AM

Easily #2 now. Could possibly be #1 considering Henry had under 100 yards yet Bama still dominated.

Nov 22, 2015, 2:03 AM

I respect McCaffrey for what he's done for the program for sure... But I hate when a candidate is weighed on their stats or the records of their team alone. In fact, from what I've always understood, neither is really supposed to be used a heavy metric for determining the heisman as it isn't supposed to rely solely on statistical performance.

Can you imagine if we played Deshaun Watson all 4 quarters of every game and what staggering numbers he would have amassed by this point? Now imagine if we did that against 11 unranked teams in a row. He would easily surpass McCaffrey's all-purpose yards in my opinion.

For him, it really all boils down to his performance against Notre Dame... But after the way they've played these last two weeks, that might not be as eye-catching as it was expected to be 3 weeks ago.

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic