Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Heather's View of Urban..
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 3,449

Heather's View of Urban..

Aug 24, 2018, 9:48 AM

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24450171/urban-meyer-press-conference-ohio-state-buckeyes-sets-wrong-tone

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Heather's View of Urban..

Aug 24, 2018, 9:55 AM

I agree with her. When Urban said twice "I'm sorry we are in this situation," he might as well have said "sorry, NOT sorry." This is like when you are asked to apologize for having wronged someone and say "I'm sorry you were upset by what I did." You are basically saying "I didn't do anything wrong, but I'm sorry that upset you anyway." I read a couple of newspaper articles that said Meyer would be gone if he wasn't such a renowned coach.

The Die is Cast...

Aug 24, 2018, 10:17 AM

This was simply to buy time...in my view. A convenient and plausible out, as well as one that can garner sympathy, from some sectors. Think of it as an 'insanity plea' before the Court of Public Opinion.

"The report also mentions that Meyer periodically takes medicine that “can negatively impair his memory, concentration, and focus.” Investigators also observed that Meyer “sometimes had significant memory issues in other situations where he had prior extensive knowledge of events.” The report suggests some of Meyer’s answers during Big Ten media day reflected not ill-intent but rather blameless health conditions. In any lawsuit over a firing, Meyer’s attorneys would have argued that the university admits medication impacts Meyer’s focus and concentration and thus perhaps played an exonerating role in his missteps. Both federal and state laws provide protections for employees with health conditions and who use medication."

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Die is Cast...

Aug 24, 2018, 10:45 AM

That's very interesting. It's not something I had considered, but what you say makes a lot of sense. I wonder what the endgame is though? I understand why there are laws that protect people who might be impaired by legitimate prescription medication. But Meyer may become (if not already) a major liability to the program as a whole. I imagine these are the questions that they are considering long-term.

When he comes to a press conference wearing a Florida

Aug 24, 2018, 11:18 AM

shirt we will know things have really deteriorated.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Show cause w/ a sensitive medication claim

Aug 24, 2018, 11:12 AM [ in reply to The Die is Cast... ]

a legal warning shot across the tOSU’s president’s bow.
I believe that was a threat. Meyer signals an imminent lawsuit for wrongful termination.
The university must then weigh the potential damages, mostly to its reputation and finances.
An immediate and uncertain, yet possibly, short-lived institutional mar is preferable to a prolonged and highly publicized legal knife fight.

Cricket Chirp Temperature Formula:
Number of Chirps per 14 seconds + 40 = Approximate Temperature

Josh Belk

Aug 24, 2018, 12:22 PM

...think of his actions. He obtained a lawyer and made somewhat suspicious use of a medical claim to receive an unrestricted release.
The scale is incomparable, of course; but it’s a matter of degree and not of kind.

Re: The Die is Cast...

Aug 24, 2018, 11:15 AM [ in reply to The Die is Cast... ]

You may well be right about using the medication excuse as a defense strategy but it wouldn't work with me. This guy is supposed to be one of the 2 or 3 most effective coaches in the country and he can't remember things from a month, a year, 2 or 3 years ago? When this started I was giving him the benefit of the doubt until more facts came out. The more facts that came out, the clearer it was that Meyer did not take action that any reasonable head coach would have taken. You didn't have to "remember" more than 5 minutes to act on the information that became available to him about Smith not once but numerous times. If it wasn't available that was his fault for not running a better program. I would not be surprised if more issues come out in this investigation including NCAA ones. I wouldn't want my son playing for a coach that lacked enough integrity to take immediate action to deal with a staff member like Smith. Can you imagine Dabo tolerating something like that?

It's not our say...

Aug 24, 2018, 12:37 PM

But consider it was, what, an eleven hour meeting? The president wanted Urban suspended (at a minimum?)...the BOT wanted him put back to work...the president was threatening to resign. The president's resignation, leaving Urban in his position, would have been PR-mageddon for tOSU. So, what were all those hours used for.

As other's have pointed out, the AD is culpable, yet his punishment is strangely unmentioned. The school can't afford the president's exit, per PR, at a minimum. There is no 'coach in waiting' to replace Urban...yet. Someone had to be punished to an extent...yet Urban, apparently, was resisting wholly.

So, in my view, many of those hours were spent 'constructing' a present need...and a roadmap for the not too distant future. How quickly this episode fades from scrutiny will be telling...particularly for Urban, but the AD as well. Both will ultimately be leaving the program, is my guess, but the president's 'acquiescence' was to give the BOT/AD/Urban...and himself, ultimately, time to comb the landscape for the right hires...morals...ethics...change of culture. None felt it could be done a week or so before the season kicks off. And, of course, waiting several weeks allows Urban time to 'realize' his health is paramount. (Sounds like a sequel)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe but that seems to require

Aug 24, 2018, 1:00 PM

...a university first mentality.
I don’t see UM putting anything above his self interest.

Aug 24, 2018, 11:48 AM

I'm sorry but the ruth has hardly came out so why in the heck would Meyer tell Courtney Smith sorry? Both Zack and Courtney sound like they are permanent residence of Crazy Town. The only person you should be telling sorry to is their children. Sorry but I do believe in justice and justice to me is having your day in court. So until the truth comes out and this has been concluded I wait to pass judgement on Meyer. Now I have no problem passing judgement on him lying and trying to weasel out of knowing anything but I am not faulting him over the Zack Smith situation just how he handled the questioning. All Urban had to say is "Yes I fired Zack Smith. My wife and I tried to council the couple but in the end you have to draw a line in the sand and unfortunately they crossed that line so cutting ties with the Smith's was the only outcome worth pursuing". Sorry if you don't like that I counted Courtney in with the statement but she seems bat sh!t crazy herself.

how does she type

Aug 24, 2018, 12:03 PM

with bread, knife and mayo in her hands?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 24, 2018, 4:03 PM

She's lost. She needs a woman's job.

Yeah but what’s her view of rural?

Aug 24, 2018, 8:34 PM

Can’t figure out if she’s a city girl or a country girl.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Replies: 13
| visibility 3,449
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic