Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: What makes Mackensie go? Getting out of the tomato fields
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

New Story: What makes Mackensie go? Getting out of the tomato fields

Aug 13, 2015, 8:06 AM

What makes Mackensie go? Getting out of the tomato fields

Mackensie Alexander grew up in Immokalee, Florida, watching his parents go to work in the region’s tomato fields every morning. It’s back-breaking work, and his dad still gets up every morning to head into the fields to make sure the family makes a living. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Proud of Mack

Aug 13, 2015, 8:13 AM

What really struck me from that article is how well spoken he is. He sounds incredibly intelligent and selfless when talking about his teammates. Really hoping he stays to get his degree; he's a special man.

He is a lock to be gone if...

Aug 13, 2015, 8:21 AM

he is going to get drafted relatively high. He can always come back for that degree. Souds like his family could use the help. On a side note, how is his brother doing wherever he went?

Re: He is a lock to be gone if...

Aug 13, 2015, 9:09 AM

I wouldn't call him a lock to go even if he's a high first round pick. He's going to do what his parents tell him to do. I know they need the money but if they would rather him finish his degree before he leaves then he will put it off a year or two. His parents are his inspiration and he's going to listen the them. He's has been a prefect fit for Clemson. It's going to be great watching him play this year. I not for the fall down at FSU last year his numbers are as good as anyone in the country. Even with the fall his number are as good as anyone. Go Tigers

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 13, 2015, 9:13 AM

I think it's a virtual lock he is gone after this season, especially if we have the great year I am anticipating. I hope he stays of course. Either way, it seems when he does goes he will be a great ambassador for the university. I love this kids attitude, spirit, and work ethic.

Re: He is a lock to be gone if... ? ? ?

Aug 14, 2015, 5:57 AM

So you're basically calling him a liar...?
You can quote him from the previous article, that he says most important for him & his family is getting his degree & graduating Clemson....with a natty title! ;)

Some people, even younger kids with the oportunity to play at the next level, see the importance of earning their degree (can't play ball forever) & actually stick to their guns.

And Clemson is doing a fine job of keeping players til they finish & walk the stage for that paper....

Go Tigers! shut'em down MacAx!!!

Aug 13, 2015, 10:36 AM [ in reply to Re: He is a lock to be gone if... ]

Barring injury, there is zero chance he doesn't go pro after this year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You're basically calling him a liar

Aug 13, 2015, 1:41 PM

based on his last interview.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You're basically calling him a liar

Aug 13, 2015, 2:10 PM

Agreed and I think his parents would value him having a college degree over getting quick money. They know he'll get the money eventually so why interrupt getting the degree? In the grand scheme of life, what difference will ONE more year in college make?

I think student athletes should stay the entire time to get a degree in general, but that's my opinion. If you're THAT good, the money will come.

Aug 13, 2015, 7:00 PM

He will likely get a top 10 draft grade. Get loss of value insurance so he can get a lot of money even if he gets hurt and come back to get his degree.

Based on his last interview it sounds like the only way he would leave early is if we win the NCG this year.

He wants a championship and he knows we have the talent to have a chance.

Aug 13, 2015, 11:24 PM [ in reply to You're basically calling him a liar ]

Multiple draft services have him as a top 3 corner in the coming draft. That's after only one productive year. If he has anything resembling the season we expect he will cement being one of the top 2 CBs and a lock top 10 pick. Coaches and players say a lot of things. He shouldn't and he won't be back with that kind of draft grade.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 13, 2015, 2:31 PM [ in reply to Re: He is a lock to be gone if... ]

Don't be so sure. His family keeps telling him the degree is the most important thing right now. They want to make sure he escapes the tomato fields for life. Not just a few years. This is the reason I think we see him four years. It's so rare to have a db as a lottery pick. If he secures his degree early, he's gone for sure. The only other scenario I see playing out is he gets a top 5 grade, then opts out early for the nfl. He would still have to convince his Mom that degree is still number one! He would have to stay on campus and graduate on time.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 13, 2015, 5:47 PM [ in reply to He is a lock to be gone if... ]

He recently said he was staying. I'd imagine that'd change if he's a high first rounder.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Hope he goes in the 1st round and the fields are no more....

Aug 13, 2015, 8:19 AM

for his parents. I also love the example he is setting for the younger guys.

I live 20 miles west of Immokalee and it's a very

Aug 13, 2015, 9:08 AM

interesting town with a thriving downtown area. It's like being in a third world country and is the polar opposite of Naples where I live. There are many different South and Central American cultures there as well as a huge Haitian population.

Their H.S. football program is well respected in SW Florida.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It looks easy because I work hard..." <- def. of Success***

Aug 13, 2015, 9:17 AM

Re: "It looks easy because I work hard..." <- def. of Success***

Aug 13, 2015, 10:07 AM

I agree with that statement. If we have a passion for what we do, we will enjoy the working hard because it's not really working, it's living life to the fullest.

I'm so thankful he chose Clemson and he is a 5 star to the best degree.

The true measure of a champion is when you make everyone around you better.

I love where our secondary is now. Mark Fields said he came to Clemson to learn from the best.

Go Tigers!! I love the fact he said he came to win a National Championship! I believe he's going to do it too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

I confess

Aug 13, 2015, 11:18 AM

When Mackensie first arrived at Clemson and promptly got a groin injury, I thought "oh no, here we go again." I was afraid he was going to be another major, elite recruit who just wasn't going to pan out. But man was I wrong! He is clearly one of the most talented athletes to every don a Clemson uniform. I know his hard work will pay off and he'll be able to return much to his hard-working family.

Re: I confess

Aug 13, 2015, 2:23 PM

I remember him boasting his work ethic and competitive nature when he came in. I thought to myself, "we'll see." Lots of kids come in being the best player on the field in high school. You have to earn it at this level. He's done that and more. He's backed everything he said he would do.

Re: New Story: What makes Mackensie go? Getting out of the tomato fields

Aug 13, 2015, 12:32 PM

I'm an '87 Clemson graduate and have been around Clemson football for most of my life. Though I have played football and love the sport, I am not what you would call an "x's and o's" man. I am more knowledgeable and experienced into deciphering and appreciating a person's character. And, from what I can tell from watching, reading and listening... Mackensie Alexander is GRADE A! My hat's off to him and his family!!!

I won't grieve when he goes pro this year.

Aug 13, 2015, 2:15 PM

I'd be ashamed of anyone who complained.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I won't grieve when he goes pro this year.

Aug 13, 2015, 2:39 PM

If you've read his interviews, his family situation is so similar to Watkins, but so different. His parents work a brutal daily grind. Watkins family plan was go to school to get to the NFL to escape the hood. He Alexander plan is go to college to get a degree to escape the tomato fields. If the NFL comes along, then that's a bonus. I may be wrong, as every opinion can be. But if I can take him at his word, the degree is number one! The only real way to find out is to wait and see! I hope he stays, but like you could not fault him for going early! He could always follow Shaq! Go early, then collect degrees as a hobby! With his work ethic, he could hold 12 doctorates before he is 40!

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Man, idk if he'll stay another year

Aug 13, 2015, 10:16 PM

I know that he said that he wants his degree, but if I could get my family out of those conditions and get my degree later I'd do it.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic