Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Kelly Bryant considered transferring...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 42
| visibility 1

Kelly Bryant considered transferring...

Aug 27, 2018, 3:22 PM

https://www.thestate.com/sports/college/acc/clemson-university/article217397975.html

Clemson’s Kelly Bryant considered transferring this offseason. Why he decided to stay
BY MATT CONNOLLY

mconnolly@thestate.com

LINKEDIN
GOOGLE+
PINTEREST
REDDIT
PRINT
ORDER REPRINT OF THIS STORY
August 27, 2018 02:30 PM

Updated 47 minutes ago

CLEMSON
Clemson coach Dabo Swinney pointed out during preseason camp that Kelly Bryant had the option to go to another school as a graduate transfer where he would have been eligible to play immediately.

Bryant confirmed to The State Monday afternoon that the thought of transferring did cross his mind.

Ultimately, Bryant decided to stick around and play his senior season at Clemson. That decision was rewarded Monday when he was named the Tigers starting quarterback for the season opener against Furman.

ADVERTISING

inRead invented by Teads
“It crossed my mind, but I feel like if I would’ve left would I have been doing the same thing, had to go out, prove myself, compete again,” Bryant said. “But that’s not in my character to just leave like that, especially with the guys I came in with being a big, tight group. We’ve done so much.”

Today's top news by email
The local news you need to start your day

Enter Email Address

Bryant competed with Trevor Lawrence and Chase Brice for the starting job throughout the spring and into fall camp before he was named the starter five days before the season opener.

Despite leading Clemson to the College Football Playoff and ACC title last season, Bryant still had to go out and prove that he is the best option at quarterback for the Tigers.

The former Wren star struggled during the spring game, while Lawrence excelled. Hunter Johnson then transferred following the spring, and Bryant considered it as well but said he didn’t want his Clemson career to end on a sour note.

He leaned on his family and other veteran teammates during the process.

“Those guys just made sure I stayed levelheaded through all of this,” Bryant said. “I didn’t want to leave, especially on terms like that. I wanted to compete and show everybody the type of guy I am. That’s what I did. I stuck it out. It’s not always going to be pretty.”

That persistence paid off as Bryant took his game to another level during the preseason while also improving as a leader and commander of the offense.

“Kelly knew what was at stake. He responded the right way and obviously earned the position that he’s in right now,” co-offensive coordinator Tony Elliott said Monday. “I think for Kelly, it’s just his confidence right now is at an all-time high. He’s managing all the situations the way you want him to manage it and then he’s improved in the areas that we’ve asked him to improve in terms of the throws we’ve asked him to make down the field.”

While Bryant is ahead in the quarterback race right now that doesn’t guarantee anything long term.

Lawrence and Brice are also expected to take snaps against Furman, and Swinney has said multiple times the quarterback battle will continue into the season.

Still, it was rewarding for Bryant to be told by Swinney and quarterbacks coach Brandon Streeter that he had earned the starting job for Week 1.

“Coach Streeter and coach Swinney brought me in and told me I’ll be running out there first. That was good to hear, just being able to be the guy, be the starter to run out there first with the guys,” Bryant said. “It’s nothing new. You’re always going to prepare like you’re the starter. It’s just about performing now.”

Clemson quarterback Kelly Bryant has been named the starter for Saturday’s game against Furman. Ken Ruinard Anderson Independent Mail

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He could still play 4 games at Clemson ...

Aug 27, 2018, 3:29 PM

... and then decide to call 2018 a RS season with a full year of eligibility elsewhere in 2019 couldn't he?

If he's still our starter after the first 4 games, chances are good he stays for the duration. But, what if he is displaced before that?

Hope he absolutely lights it up this season and leaves Clemson on a high note. But, I can still see a case in which he leaves this year if he loses his starting spot.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He could still play 4 games at Clemson ...

Aug 27, 2018, 3:36 PM

This could definitely happen and may end up being the plan. See where everything is at by game 4 and go from there.

If TL has the job by then they could find out what Kelly wants to do and possibly hold him from other games unless injuries force him into action

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 27, 2018, 3:48 PM [ in reply to He could still play 4 games at Clemson ... ]

DID YOU READ THE ARTICLE. HE WILL GRADUATE WITH HIS PEOPLE AND GO TO THE NFL. AT QB AND IF THAT DONT WORK OUT, ANOTHER POSITION. MAN YOU PEOPLE JUST LOVE OVERTHINKING THINGS.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hey BIG DEROBERTS - Kelly may get a chance in the NFL

Aug 27, 2018, 4:13 PM

But it will not be as a QB - unless he's totally different this season. I like the guy, admire what he's overcome, and cheer for him. But he ain't making the league as a QB. Safety or Receiver? Maybe... If he packed on an additional 25-30 pounds he could be a hellish nightmare match up going against LB'S as a TE

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

Re: Hey BIG DEROBERTS - Kelly may get a chance in the NFL

Aug 27, 2018, 4:23 PM

HAVE YOU SEEN SOME OF THE BACKUPS AND 3RD TEAM GUYS IN THE NFL. NEVER SAID HE WOULD BE JOE MONTANA. LOTS OF QB JOBS IN THE NFL.

If TBoyd didn't get much more than a sniff at QB in the NFL

Aug 27, 2018, 5:04 PM

It's very unlikely KB2 will. He's a better athlete than Boyd - but not near the passer TB10 was. Think Tajh downfall was decision making, a lack of reading defenses, and going through his progressions.

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

Oct 3, 2018, 1:47 PM [ in reply to Re: Hey BIG DEROBERTS - Kelly may get a chance in the NFL ]

Deshaun Watson, in his last 3 games, has thrown for 1,070 yards and rushed for 121... and he only got one W after all of that!

And you think Kelly can play QB at the next level? The NFL is a different world.

Oct 3, 2018, 2:19 PM

i was totally wrong about kelly. did not anticipate him being a quitter. but he will "get a chance" to play qb in the nfl. guess yall missed the part where i said if it did not work out he could maybe play elsewhere.

Good Lord...have another drink buddy***

Aug 27, 2018, 5:09 PM [ in reply to Re: He could still play 4 games at Clemson ... ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Needs to put his hearing aid back in, too.....***

Aug 27, 2018, 6:08 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He is trying to hold off an early enroll high schooler

Aug 27, 2018, 7:00 PM [ in reply to Re: He could still play 4 games at Clemson ... ]

And you have him in the NFL ??

Doing what ?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

YES .. I’ve read it 4 times and still don’t see any mention of

Aug 27, 2018, 11:04 PM [ in reply to Re: He could still play 4 games at Clemson ... ]

... of what you said being attributed to Kelly Bryant.

No mention of any NFL aspirations, at QB or otherwise.

Maybe we’re reading different articles. Or maybe you’re just making stuff up.

But, anyway, I stand by my original statement of what certainly *could* transpire under the circumstances.

He still has four games to decide.

Aug 28, 2018, 10:48 PM [ in reply to Re: He could still play 4 games at Clemson ... ]

No they don’t read

Oct 3, 2018, 1:57 PM

Shocking you are deroberts were wrong yet again.

You are quite the dynamic duo

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Oct 2, 2018, 12:12 AM [ in reply to Re: He could still play 4 games at Clemson ... ]

deroberts said:

DID YOU READ THE ARTICLE. HE WILL GRADUATE WITH HIS PEOPLE AND GO TO THE NFL. AT QB AND IF THAT DONT WORK OUT, ANOTHER POSITION. MAN YOU PEOPLE JUST LOVE OVERTHINKING THINGS.

Well.... this comment sure aged well.

Oops***

Oct 3, 2018, 1:54 PM [ in reply to Re: He could still play 4 games at Clemson ... ]

Aug 27, 2018, 6:18 PM [ in reply to He could still play 4 games at Clemson ... ]

Wow so the coaches brought up transferring to him?

I think this means TL takes over sooner rather than later.

Sounds like his #1 motivation was finishing what he

Aug 27, 2018, 11:15 PM [ in reply to He could still play 4 games at Clemson ... ]

started. Don't see him going anywhere but to the toppermost before this season is over.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

KB is a good guy and we couldn't have a better QBcompetition

Aug 27, 2018, 3:31 PM

going right now. Theres something to be said for a guy who isn't scared to compete against the best. This type of thing only elevates everyone to play their best and prepare to the utmost.Hope he does well and hope we win another championship. These opportunities don't come by all that often so hopefully our team rises to meet the challenge.

Re: Kelly Bryant considered transferring...

Aug 27, 2018, 3:46 PM

If KB is indeed the best QB to run the team this year, I do not in anyway shape or form have a problem with that bc TL and CB can wait their turn just like every freshman QB has to do when their is a QB ahead of them that can do the job just as good or better. I say Congrats to KB bc he has earned it according to our coaches. But if at any time he gets himself into situation like he did in a few games last season, I hope that our coaches will sit him and go to QB #2 or QB #3 if need to be. I just want our Tigers to win, and I don't care about the name of the QB that is winning for our team, Period!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 27, 2018, 4:02 PM

sir I agree with you 100%......KB2 has earned the right to start but if he does not perform up to par coaches need to go ahead and pull the trigger and give TL and CB their chance.......do not need another Syracuse monk up this season......Go Tigers!!!!!

Aug 28, 2018, 10:51 PM

Syracuse was kB s fault??

Aug 27, 2018, 5:13 PM

Geeze....crazy to think that TL comes on campus and single handedly almost makes the entire QB room transfer out.

Aug 27, 2018, 5:47 PM

Geeze....crazy to think that TL comes on campus and single handedly almost makes the entire QB room transfer out.

How long do you expect Chase Brice to stick around?

Fields not workin' for you puppies...? Shoppin', huh...?***

Aug 27, 2018, 6:11 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Longer than you hopefully***

Aug 27, 2018, 7:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Kelly Bryant considered transferring... ]

Oct 3, 2018, 1:12 PM [ in reply to Re: Kelly Bryant considered transferring... ]

Chase Brice is All In, and he will be a Tiger to the end!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

he stayed because he was

Aug 27, 2018, 5:41 PM

guaranteed the starting spot

At least for the first 2 games...We all knew that***

Aug 27, 2018, 5:43 PM

Aug 27, 2018, 5:46 PM

Lmao! Youre the starter Kelly......for game #1!! what kind of BS is that? The kid starts the entire 2017 season winning the conference and making the playoffs and that's all the confidence they have in their returning starter?

Aug 27, 2018, 5:57 PM

How can a leghumper talk? Has Kirby even announced his week 1 starter yet? Didn't Fromm lead his team to the playoff?

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/smart-still-not-announcing-starting-uga-begins-game-week/amwRNDCn1BrHkz6Ok36RQL/

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 27, 2018, 6:12 PM [ in reply to Re: Kelly Bryant considered transferring... ]

You must be just Super Stupid!! Dogs haven’t named their QB yet you are here? Get off our board clueless leg humper.

Go lick your balls...***

Aug 27, 2018, 6:12 PM [ in reply to Re: Kelly Bryant considered transferring... ]

Like Fromm hasn't been looking over his shoulder?***

Aug 27, 2018, 7:05 PM [ in reply to Re: Kelly Bryant considered transferring... ]

Aug 27, 2018, 8:32 PM

He has a shot. Josh Dobbs is in the nfl and I think Bryant is just as good if not better than Dobbs

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Aug 28, 2018, 10:21 PM

Dobbs had 2,946 passing yards, 27 passing TD's, 831 rushing yards and 12 rushing TD's while playing the 24th SOS in the nation his senior season stat wise, FWIW. He put on a decent showing before the draft.

Sep 3, 2018, 1:37 PM

Honestly, I think Bryant likes it here....alot. Enjoys playing with his team mates,
and being part of Clemson. I don't even get the feeling he has any NFL ambitions.
I think he's just just going enjoy his time here and what ever happens, happens.

Interesting now to look back at the opinions on this earlier***

Oct 1, 2018, 8:16 PM

you kinda nailed it***

Oct 1, 2018, 9:02 PM

Nice bump...***

Oct 1, 2018, 9:06 PM [ in reply to Interesting now to look back at the opinions on this earlier*** ]

Who? Never heard of her***

Oct 3, 2018, 2:20 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 3, 2018, 3:25 PM

I hope someone will remember to pull up this thread after the NFL draft. Maybe we can find out who are the real experts and those who think they are experts. During my golfing days I played with some golfers who made me realize I thought I was a golfer.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 42
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic